Apps that came with phone "disappeared"

LMKH4

Reaction score
I'm not sure exactly when or how this happened, but one day a whole bunch of the apps that came on my phone just "disappeared". I have located them on my phone if I got to manage apps and then all, and I was able to add one of them back. Now I'm trying to get the calculator back, and I can't - it does nothing..well, I can clear all data, but I'm not sure I should do that, but I guess it doesn't matter since I can't use it anyway.

I'm really wondering why this happened, and for the apps I do want - how can I get them back, or would I be better off just downloading new ones? Some of them I never used, so that's not a problem, but a calculator does come in handy, and the one I was able to get back was the alarm app.

The only other thing I noticed around this time was I did download to free "live" wallpapers from the market, but not sure that had anything to do with any of this.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me with this.

Natey2

Reaction score
Is your phone stock, or have you rooted it, etc. ?

Using a 3rd party launcher? Faulty launchers have been known to hide apps at times.

Reboot your phone. Apps still missing from the app drawer?

Wipe cache: system cache first, then app caches. Apps still missing?

Get rid of that live wallpaper.

Factory Data Reset. I hate doing this, and only as a very last resort.

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using Tapatalk from GetJar

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Menu/Settings/Applications/Manage Applications/Media Area and uncheck anything that is checked. Not sure this is your problem, but it often is. If it isn't you problem then I recommend the Factory Reset.

Good luck.

Natey2

Reaction score
Media Area? I'm stock DroidX, and I don't see any "Media" under Manage Applications.
Unless you meant "On SD Card" , and moving the apps from SD back to the phone.

Last edited:

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Media Area? I'm stock DroidX, and I don't see any "Media" under Manage Applications.

Sorry - had my head up my. . . . Thinking Bionic.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Back on the computer now; that is what I was talking about. On the Bionic people are having apps disappear if the move them to the Media Area (internal).

I would recommend the Factory Reset though. Just make sure you have Backup and Restore checked in the Privacy setting. Also, after you login with your Gmail account you will be asked if you want Google to backup and restore your apps and settings. Be sure to check yes on both of those. Google has been doing a fantastic job on my Bionic with getting all apps (paid and free) reinstalled and even some phone settings.

Good luck.

OP
L

LMKH4

Reaction score
Is your phone stock, or have you rooted it, etc. ?

Using a 3rd party launcher? Faulty launchers have been known to hide apps at times.

Reboot your phone. Apps still missing from the app drawer?

Wipe cache: system cache first, then app caches. Apps still missing?

Get rid of that live wallpaper.

Factory Data Reset. I hate doing this, and only as a very last resort.

Um...I have no idea what you are talking about on most of this, so I would say my phone is not rooted since I don't know what that is, I don't know what a third party launcher is. I did reboot my phone - nothing changed.
I don't know how to wipe the cache on a phone...but I like my live wallpaper...sniff, sniff..I'll delete it if I have to though. I have no idea how to do a factory reset either.

I didn't buy this phone...I wouldn't have gotten something so "technical" for myself, but it's what I've got, so I'll have to muddle through the best I can :blink:. All I wanted to do was use the calculator - and it's there - I can find it, but I can't use it. Most of the stuff that "disappeared", I never used, so it's not a big deal. The stuff is all there - it's just can't be used, and I can't figure out how to get it so I can use it. I just don't want to wake up one day to find everything gone for whatever reason.

xliderider

Reaction score
I have no idea how to do a factory reset either.

This is a last resort option, it will wipe out all your settings and user data and apps that you have downloaded. Press the Menu button, select Settings, then select Privacy. Select Factory Data Reset.

What it does is it resets your phone to an "out of the box" state, or clean slate, if you will. If an app or setting caused your original problem, then the rest should get you back.

OP
L

LMKH4

Reaction score
This is a last resort option, it will wipe out all your settings and user data and apps that you have downloaded. Press the Menu button, select Settings, then select Privacy. Select Factory Data Reset.

What it does is it resets your phone to an "out of the box" state, or clean slate, if you will. If an app or setting caused your original problem, then the rest should get you back.

I think I'll wait on doing this unless I continue to have problems.
Thanks for letting me know what I need to do - just in case.

attard

Reaction score
I have the same problem as LMKH4 with my Droid 2 Global. I just noticed the other day that the most of the built-in apps were missing. When I touch the button on the right side that used to show me all the apps, it brings up a screen now that's blank with a tiny clock on top to the left and the words, "No Recently Used Apps" on the screen. Nothing happens when you touch that clock-looking icon.

..Hmmm. The paragraph above is the way thing were as of late last night. Just now, I went to open apps and the phone restarted itself (an unfortunately very common occurrence) and after it restarted, when I touched apps, saw the icon, the words, "no recently used apps," and then I touched the little clock-looking thing, and this time I did get a response - and the choice to show all apps. At this rate, I'm wondering what will be on the apps screen tomorrow. :(

I really like the Droid, but it's a real shame that it's so quirky - this is the third droid 2 global I've had. This one was factory reset about a month ago. (This and the previous Droid were factory refurbs sent to me when the problems couldn't be resolved at the local Verizon office.) What's annoying is I can't get a brand new phone for one for almost another year (I'd like a Droid that works reliably) without paying full non-contract price for the phone. That just isn't right for a product that started malfunctioning soon after it was purchased and has already been replaced twice.

For what it's worth, the only apps running on this phone that did not come factory installed are a virus program (Lookout) and Bar Code Scanner.

ukdutypaid

Reaction score
I'm having a similar problem with my HTC, I downloaded a a file manager for the phone, I'm hoping to delete some of the htc apps on the internal phone storage. I need the space. but after using the file manager one of my apps just disapeared. It's not so bad, the app is one I was considering deleting anyway, but as the whole point was to gain space, I'm worried what could be left on the phone. sort of like I ost the use of the app, but might have files still on my phone relating to it, not sure what I can do.

leftspin

Reaction score
ukdutypaid said:
I'm having a similar problem with my HTC, I downloaded a a file manager for the phone, I'm hoping to delete some of the htc apps on the internal phone storage. I need the space. but after using the file manager one of my apps just disapeared. It's not so bad, the app is one I was considering deleting anyway, but as the whole point was to gain space, I'm worried what could be left on the phone. sort of like I ost the use of the app, but might have files still on my phone relating to it, not sure what I can do.

Try asking in your own thread in the section for your phone. This is a several month old thread in the Droid X section, you won't be able to get as much help here.