Apps disappear after SD mount

ahaynes42

Reaction score
Every time i mount my SD card to my computer, when I remount it to the phone, there are certain apps that disappear from my home screens. They're still installed and everything, but i have to put them back on my screens. Anyone else had this issue?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Turbod

Reaction score
I have the exact same thing, all the Angry Birds, and several other games do it. I have never moved anything to SD card, so that shouldn't be the case.

cadre.9

Reaction score
That's funny, I posted the exact same question a week ago and no one replied so I figured I was the only one who experienced this. Evidently it's not common enough for anyone to have figured it out yet.

cadre

Turbod

Reaction score
Well, lets list the apps that are doing it, maybe that will help.

All Angry Birds versions
Geurilla Bob
Pinball Deluxe
Meteor

Those are mine. I have set none to save to SD, but maybe they each save a portion there regardless?

OP
A

ahaynes42

Reaction score
Automatic SD Install

It turns out that my apps that were disappearing were installed on my SD card, without me even knowing or telling the apps to install there. Went into settings > Applications > Manage Applications > On SD Card to discover this. If you click on them, it gives you the option to Move to Phone.

Now my apps don't disappear. But it seems to me that if you have Apps installed on your SD card, they shouldn't just disappear from your home screens every time you mount the SD card to a computer. (And they disappear permanently, not just for the time that the SD card was mounted, because that would actually make sense) Seems like a flaw to me.

I guess it should be noted that I'm running stock Gingerbread (no root) update .588

Last edited:

Turbod

Reaction score
It turns out that my apps that were disappearing were installed on my SD card, without me even knowing or telling the apps to install there. Went into settings > Applications > Manage Applications > On SD Card to discover this. If you click on them, it gives you the option to Move to Phone.

Now my apps don't disappear. But it seems to me that if you have Apps installed on your SD card, they shouldn't just disappear from your home screens every time you mount the SD card to a computer. (And they disappear permanently, not just for the time that the SD card was mounted, because that would actually make sense) Seems like a flaw to me.

I guess it should be noted that I'm running stock Gingerbread (no root) update .588

Mine were there also, I never checked because I never set them to store there. Thanks

Mule65

Reaction score
Seems apps on SD card have more trouble with rebooting on PC connect and lost icons since Froyo. I also wouldn't rule out MotoBlur.

illmatic636

Reaction score

Your SD card can not be mounted to the phone and a computer simultaneously.

OP
A

ahaynes42

Reaction score

Well that's pretty much common sense. Which is why I stated that it would be normal for the apps to disappear while the the SD card was mounted to a computer, but not normal that they stay gone even after I've mounted it back to the phone.

cadre.9

Reaction score
But how does an app get on the sd card? I don't recall seeing that option when I've downloaded them.

djakrse

Reaction score
Well, that's not entirely true. There are apps which can do it for you. I think one is Dual Mount SD. View similar items in the market.

Using these apps to mount your SD when connecting to your PC, you will still be able to transfer files, see widget skins, and be able to use sd-installed apps at the same time.

Just be careful, it can get tricky trying to transfer files and utilize them immediately on your phone.