Apple is falling

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Down size the 20mp to 6-7mp and then compare. That's how you have to do it to be fair. Sony is currently the leader in sensor manufacturering.

Seriously - the question should be what's the best 5x8 a camera can produce? 8mp should be sufficient, and more has little to do with improved quality of the photo (unless you are going to zoom and crop)

But it we are talking viewing on a 50" plasma, or perhaps a nice wall print...12mp? But is anyone that serious taking their photos without a DSLR?

It's kind of like the HD display debate - are you really going to watch a lot of tv/movies on your phone with a magnifying glass?

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
I'm not surprised that the 5s doesn't have any really killer advances, but I am disappointed. I'm wondering if this is the start of a slowing down on mobile device innovation. It still is a solid device as others have mentioned, but I won't buy one because I don't like the closed os & apple's unethical business practices.

It will be interesting to see which new phone has the best camera. On one end is the low MP ultrapixel camera from HTC and on the other is the 20 MP Sony with apple, acer and Samsung in the middle. The high mp camera won't be worth it if there is too much loss of fine detail from a poor sensor, but low MP's also means grainy photos when blown up.

Sony Xperia Z1 followed very closely by LGG2, in some reviews the G2 performed better but most favored the Z1.

TheOldFart

Reaction score
Up until recently I have been pro android. Never wanted an Iphone, hated the fact that their was no app drawer but since having an Ipad I have gotten used to it. As of Monday I was getting the note 3, Coming from the Galaxy Nexus and then a S3, but after seeing the release I may end up with the Iphone 5s. The way I look at it, It's just 2 years. By time my contact is up the Note 5 or S6 or S7 will be out haha.

Wow, talk about a big jump in phones. Going from a 4.8" 720p screen to wanting a 5.7" full HD screen to a 4" 1136x640 screen.

WestOkid

Reaction score
I think both new phones are top notch. The 5c is a step away from the Jobs, "we know what's best for you" philosophy. I think that offering will diversify Apple's base.

That said, I go back to what I don't like about Apple. Great products, but they do their best to make the world ignorant. Too much credit is given to Apple for existing tech they bring to the mainstream and they do their best to drive the perception they created it. Even here, I see people saying how innovative the fingerprint scanner is. This has been included in Fujitsu phones since 2008. It was on the 2011 Moto Atrix. In fact the company Apple purchased (Authentec) for its fingerprint tech made all the scanners for Fujitsu on Android. As with Siri, this company will never offer services to other companies again. Apple will have "invented" the fingerprint scanner, the smart phone, voice commands, app stores, messenger services, video calls, etc. Apple's brilliance is taking existing tech and making it palatable for the average consumer, not inventing stuff. Sounds trivial, but I don't think it is. There truly is brilliance in Apple's model. They are not falling, just doing what they do.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Because of Windows and Office, I'm far more likely to switch to a WinMo phone some day. And don't look now, but Sammie is experimenting with it's own OS (also based on Linux, in partnership with Intel, I believe).
I'm on Windows Phone 8 and love it (whole other story) In regards to Samsung's OS Tizen I have a theory. I believe Samsungs intention with Tizen is for them to eventually slow down and eliminate their production of Android based phones. Tizen gives the company more control over its future whidch in turn allows it to rely less on Google PLUS (no pun intended) they can create an ecosystem in which they are able to connect all their devices. Sammy's CEO made it very clear they want Tizen to be on everything so to me this says they are looking to go all in and create their very own empire dependent upon no one else (Google)

Keep in mind I'm not saying this will happen over night, but I do think that's where they want to go with this whole Tizen thing. Makes total sense to me :)

(strictly my opinions above)

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Tizen gives the company more control over its future whidch in turn allows it to rely less on Google PLUS (no pun intended) they can create an ecosystem in which they are able to connect all their devices. Sammy's CEO made it very clear they want Tizen to be on everything so to me this says they are looking to go all in and create their very own empire dependent upon no one else (Google)

In other words, they want to do things like Apple does.

And are you using the 928?

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
exactly :)

Yes Lumia 928

Almost got the wife this phone, but opted for the iPhone 5 because of what happened with Windows phone 7. Yeah, remember that?? It actually existed. LOL.

If Windows phone 8 sticks around a year or two, I may give it a shot. It's just that the LG G2 has got me in their cross hairs, and I'm dying to get it.

Jmoore1701

Reaction score
I remember the Ipaq! I still have it in storage somewhere. I was thinking yesterday that Apple's fingerprint reader was not exactly new. I'm using an HP EliteBook laptop that also has a fingerprint reader.
I just hate that, just because Apple does something, it's suddenly innovative and new and brilliant and a game-changer. Ugh!

AECRADIO

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
1.Moto-G, Droid-X, 3.Droid 2
Twitter
@AECRADIO
Quoting CK's comment on plastic Apple products, they have always been plastic, even their early computers were housed in it, and since.
From the I, II, IIc, IIgs and moving to the SE, SE30 and IIgl, and III, Lisa....ALL were cased in plastic. And the MAC series cases were sprayed on the inner surfaces with a gray conductive coating that came off after the first case cracking party. They gave off a lot of RF interference, and were unable to be used in P.O.S locations due to this. (note) the listing is NOT in order of release date/time).

All hardware was proprietary and costly, from the floppy drives, to the SCSI HDDs, and not to mention the ROM packs!
Lord help you if you needed replacement ROMS for your SE30, they acted as if they were solid gold, and when you did get repair ordered ROMS, you had to send the defective ROMS back to Apple, in the SAME box, packed the same way the replacements were shipped to you, or you got nothing for the store credit.

Video cards for the newer systems were also super costly, and with the new 'microchannel' architecture being pushed that allowed true 32 bit data and application bus to operate simultaneously, Apple attempted to tout their bus architecture as the 'best' but it was far from it, and was slower as well.

I had one of the original NEWTONS Apple sold, while really cool and slick for 1983, it required dialup modem service and was not user friendly. his was when you could find a phone booth on every corner, you could dial into your 'service' and update your information over the usenet.

When the iPhone came out, it was cool, had really nice graphics, slick interface, and smooth scrolling, and those icons for individual apps were a cool topic of the day.
Like usual with Apple, all its software is tightly locked down and controlled, giving you nothing to do with your phone, unless you took the 'jailbreaking route' and performed firmware surgery.

Apple has always maintained a firm grip on its products from inception, and the iPhone is no different, but a lot of users appreciate this fact, and cherish it, to some degree.
Others are drawn to Android for just the opposite reasoning.....Adapting their phones to work in a manner they design it for, with apps, ROMS, bootloaders and rooting, Android users get what they want, and can assist on making this platform even more useful with altering and adapting current offerings to make use of apps coming out for service related usage, such as WiFi, tethering, SD card storage/applications and task management of the entire Android platform.

This is something Apple can NOT offer, and is why people appreciate Android, those that DO love to tinker and modify things, while Apple users enjoy being comforted by a standard look and feel they have come to know and expect.

To those folks, WELCOME!
Creativity can come from both, but the market bears the burden of desires, both from the Apple front, and that of the Android crowd. Both have their place in the smartphone realm, and neither is truly better than the other, they simply have their own base of users, so more power to us all for having the one great thing.....CHOICE!

Last edited:

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'll just leave this here. Pretty much says it all for me, and to the point:
I don't know about them having a great marketing team anymore. Their presentation was lackluster at best. Last year specs didn't matter, this year 64-bit chipsets are the buzzword despite the fact that there will be little to no benefit seen from that tech in phones anywhere in the short term. The Surface commercials do a great job of showcasing how little you get comparatively for the money with an iPad, Samsung has a slew of ads doing the same in terms of both the iPhone and iPad, and I literally can't remember anything of Apple's new campaign except more photos are taken every day with with iPhones than any other mobile device.

Considering the dive Apple's stock took after the iPhone 5 release I don't see anything good in the future for the financial short-term. Apple isn't even playing catch-up anymore, they're off in some strange world of their own. Unified background colors, icon sets, and cases are your selling point? Fingerprint unlocking and hardware for the sake of hardware is supposed to be reason for customers to "upgrade" to your newest flagship?

really.jpg

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Almost got the wife this phone, but opted for the iPhone 5 because of what happened with Windows phone 7. Yeah, remember that?? It actually existed. LOL.

If Windows phone 8 sticks around a year or two, I may give it a shot. It's just that the LG G2 has got me in their cross hairs, and I'm dying to get it.
I almost went with the 928 myself, but the way I use my phone mostly now, Windows 8 OS doesn't play well with my ecosystem. I am definitely going to consider Windows phone again 2yrs from now, I'm sure they'll make many more improvements, but from what I saw with the 928, I like the direction it's going. With the fairly recent partnership between Nokia and Microsoft, I think it'll be even better down the road. For now, I stick with Android.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Windows phones needs more apps, that is what is holding them back.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
In other words, they want to do things like Apple does.

And are you using the 928?

Well if you think about it that has been the direction samsung has gone. The galaxy s1 (international version) looked like an iphone. Samsung to me seems to have somewhat copied a lot of things apple has done. My big issue with the lawsuit that apple had against them was I felt it was hypocritical in away since apple copied other tech.

I do think we will see a change in landscape in 2 years. I think tinzen will do well overseas but will not do so well in the states but time will tell if I am right or wrong.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I almost went with the 928 myself, but the way I use my phone mostly now, Windows 8 OS doesn't play well with my ecosystem. I am definitely going to consider Windows phone again 2yrs from now, I'm sure they'll make many more improvements, but from what I saw with the 928, I like the direction it's going. With the fairly recent partnership between Nokia and Microsoft, I think it'll be even better down the road. For now, I stick with Android.

Nokia is (supposedly) venturing into android now. Be interesting to see what they do.