Apple is falling

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
by the way to all that chimed in all of you have been posting some good points . good job

FuturamaApplause.gif

BOBD1950

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC M8
..."IS ..falling.?

They have proved that there is "not one born every minute"

BOBD1950

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC M8
I took out my shiny new clear cover silver, HTC1 in crowded bar with a load of 20-40 somethings and drew a small group that was shocked..shocked I tell you ..that it was not a NEW iPhone # whatever.

AND that screen and front speakers rock'n a COLDPLAY "viva la vida" youtube vid ..might have turned a few i fans next purchase...

My point is...Younger tech consumers' tastes and wants are ever changing..and Apple playing 2007 in 2013 wont work..just because of a "hip" logo.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I think this is a good article: Apple's iPhone 5c isn't the low-cost phone you've been waiting for and this quote sums up Apple nicely:

Bob you're right when it comes to younger tech consumers' tastes that they change and frequently, which is why Apple decided to release the 5c. By offering different colored phones, you're offering the customer another choice and therefore giving them more control and that's not including the different color combination of cases either. It's not MotoMaker sophisticated, but the fact that there are color choices definitely opens up the market, especially to the general public who could care less how many ghz or ram there is on a phone and instead look at the choices available or the quality of the camera. For so many years iPhone adopters had two options; white and black, now that they offer at least 5 colors, it's a powerful marketing tool. To the members here on the board, we're on here to learn more about our device and some of us would be considered "techies", Apple isn't targeting us.

Their name has definitely lost some merit over the years, but it still greatly influences the tech world and they're still a tech juggernaut. Android has hundreds, if not thousands, of choices available and that can be extremely overwhelming to new buyers. Just on Verizon alone an adopter of Android has at least 3 choices (Motorola, Samsung, HTC) and each respective manufacturer has multiple devices available. Everyone likes choices and Android gives that to us, but it can be information overload and Apple combats that with simplicity. Although people get less choices with Apple, they know they're getting a solid product and not be so overwhelmed with the different choices and features each individual Android phone offers.

As it's been repeated many times throughout history, sometimes "simple is best". And that's exactly what Apple offers, simplicity for the average user. It's what Apple has pushed since the original iPhone, and in 2013 it's the same concept, just with more choices.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think this is a good article: Apple's iPhone 5c isn't the low-cost phone you've been waiting for and this quote sums up Apple nicely:

Bob you're right when it comes to younger tech consumers' tastes that they change and frequently, which is why Apple decided to release the 5c. By offering different colored phones, you're offering the customer another choice and therefore giving them more control and that's not including the different color combination of cases either. It's not MotoMaker sophisticated, but the fact that there are color choices definitely opens up the market, especially to the general public who could care less how many ghz or ram there is on a phone and instead look at the choices available or the quality of the camera. For so many years iPhone adopters had two options; white and black, now that they offer at least 5 colors, it's a powerful marketing tool. To the members here on the board, we're on here to learn more about our device and some of us would be considered "techies", Apple isn't targeting us.

Their name has definitely lost some merit over the years, but it still greatly influences the tech world and they're still a tech juggernaut. Android has hundreds, if not thousands, of choices available and that can be extremely overwhelming to new buyers. Just on Verizon alone an adopter of Android has at least 3 choices (Motorola, Samsung, HTC) and each respective manufacturer has multiple devices available. Everyone likes choices and Android gives that to us, but it can be information overload and Apple combats that with simplicity. Although people get less choices with Apple, they know they're getting a solid product and not be so overwhelmed with the different choices and features each individual Android phone offers.

As it's been repeated many times throughout history, sometimes "simple is best". And that's exactly what Apple offers, simplicity for the average user. It's what Apple has pushed since the original iPhone, and in 2013 it's the same concept, just with more choices.

I'm telling ya, you'll see more chemically enhanced youthful looking faces toting around the bright colored iPhones than truly young skinned users.
I think their stock is being artificially deflated as well until the sales figures of the demographic buyers being the same ones making huge profits for the diet pill, yoga pants in xxl (10 pounds of potatoes in a 5 pound bag ) , and wrinkle cream makers. Wall Street is a bunch of power junkies using stock futures as their drug of choice. They're as nervous and quirky as a heroine addict that's trying to come clean by using a case of Red Bull as a substitute.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Notate

TatDroid

Reaction score
Apple is in a tough spot when it comes to investors. On the one hand, if they had brought out a truly mass market affordable price on the iPhone 5C like investors were clamoring for, then the stock price probably would have jumped. However, if they had, then 6 months to a year down the road, these same investors would be selling off Apple stock. This would be due to Apple's famously high profit margins eroding because they are selling a device at a much cheaper price point than in the past.
This is EXACTLY what I was going to say. Apple is backed up against the wall in a no win situation as far as the smartphone situation goes. They are now becoming a profitable niche player - just like with PCs. The only way out, just as they have done time and again, is to wow the world with THE NEXT BIG THING that no one saw coming. But, can they do it without Steve Jobs?

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
But, can they do it without Steve Jobs?
No.
Jobs didn't seem to give a rat's butt about share holders. He hired suits to care about that for him. Those suits might be able to count beans very well but they're not Steve Jobs by any means and will never have the outside the box thinking he had. Their definition of outside the box is hire a lawyer to figure out new ways to sue someone.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Notate

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
Although Jobs had vision and ideas, I think too much credit is given to his future-ability. To say if he were alive right now things would be different for the better? I highly doubt it. He had a pipeline of ideas that he didn't take to his grave I'm sure, but suggesting he's the only person at the helm of one of the most profitable companies in history with ideas and vision is foolish. Would he invent the next big thing? Maybe, but probably not. We have some solid years of perfecting the tech we already have and using it in new ways (wearable tech, or augmented reality) that are pretty much obvious directions from here.

acousticshade

Reaction score
I'm not surprised that the 5s doesn't have any really killer advances, but I am disappointed. I'm wondering if this is the start of a slowing down on mobile device innovation. It still is a solid device as others have mentioned, but I won't buy one because I don't like the closed os & apple's unethical business practices.

It will be interesting to see which new phone has the best camera. On one end is the low MP ultrapixel camera from HTC and on the other is the 20 MP Sony with apple, acer and Samsung in the middle. The high mp camera won't be worth it if there is too much loss of fine detail from a poor sensor, but low MP's also means grainy photos when blown up.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
This article is a bit one-side, but I thought made some good points (I added the bold).

The consumers and enterprises Apple attracts buy the company's devices, in part, because they don't perceive them as mass-produced, dime-a-dozen products churned and burned in a fragmentation frenzy. Perceive. That's the keyword.

Perception equals reality. And sometimes, perception is reality no matter how much that fact gets under a critic's skin.

In the long run and in the canons of history and corporate dominance, Android's market share doesn't mean a darn thing if nobody really knows they're buying a Google product. It's just a computer, like a Dell or something else that lacks personality and relevance. Nobody notices and if they do, they don't care. There's no passion. No identification with what you own like there is with Apple's product-to-consumer relationship.

People love iPhones, iPads and MacBooks because Apple has given them too many reasons to count to love iPhones, iPads and MacBooks. Without doubt, Apple has established much of its cachet via best-in-class marketing, but the company's success has more to do with the fact that when you buy an Apple product you know you're getting a high-quality, thoughtfully-designed smartphone, tablet or computer that just works.

Unlike its competitors, Apple no longer has to work at earning such a reputation. It owns it. Now it must maintain it. There's no need for an iPhone, iPad or MacBook revolution. That's a sure fire approach to scare away almost automatic iPhone upgrades and consumers about to immerse themselves in the ecosystem with their second or third Apple product purchase. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, just improve it not-so-modestly with pesky little things like a twice-as-fast processor.

Along similar lines, if Apple engages in a price war -- the heart of Google's strategy -- it sends red flags to diehards and newcomers. Will I still be getting the great Apple experience I know or have heard so much about? Tim Cook would literally crush his company's soul if he made any move that dilutes the product, the brand and, most importantly, the broad experience of buying and using Apple products.

Mike55

Reaction score
Up until recently I have been pro android. Never wanted an Iphone, hated the fact that their was no app drawer but since having an Ipad I have gotten used to it. As of Monday I was getting the note 3, Coming from the Galaxy Nexus and then a S3, but after seeing the release I may end up with the Iphone 5s. The way I look at it, It's just 2 years. By time my contact is up the Note 5 or S6 or S7 will be out haha.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I'm not surprised that the 5s doesn't have any really killer advances, but I am disappointed. I'm wondering if this is the start of a slowing down on mobile device innovation. It still is a solid device as others have mentioned, but I won't buy one because I don't like the closed os & apple's unethical business practices.

It will be interesting to see which new phone has the best camera. On one end is the low MP ultrapixel camera from HTC and on the other is the 20 MP Sony with apple, acer and Samsung in the middle. The high mp camera won't be worth it if there is too much loss of fine detail from a poor sensor, but low MP's also means grainy photos when blown up.
Changes to hardware won't be so drastic compared to generations of past. I've said the past few months that I think hardware has hit a plateau of sorts. Take Moto for example, instead of following other manufacturers on the biggest or most powerful device, they instead started to refine their products, as shown by their latest Droid lineup. Sure the specs aren't anything to really brag about, but you can tell that they are truly concentrating on the user experience, and when it comes down to it, it's all about the user experience. Apple has hit the nail on the head almost every time when it comes to this aspect which is why they're so successful. Instead of racing to put out the latest and greatest, they refine what already works with a slight bump in hardware.

This is why I think Apple's fingerprint scanner is going to be a hit. If it's as secure and easy to use as they claim then I really do think it'll be a real hit and something that Android will need to follow. They also got a head start with 64bit architecture, but of course majority of the general public doesn't even know what that means. What they see is a device that's faster, has a better camera, and comes with a fingerprint scanner for added security. I believe Apple is a firm believer of K.I.S.S and their success proves it's a working formula. There's still innovation, it's just not as impressive because of how fast the mobile industry has moved in such a short amount of time.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Apple isn't hurting for sales...struggling to maintain market share as the market expands, maybe, but their core users are still very loyal.

And a big reason is why I'll never switch: cost. I like Android because apps are mostly free. But if I switched to IOS, it would cost me probably a few hundred to get the apps I like/need. And if we are talking movies or music, then in many cases that is burnt if I ever switch platforms. On Android I can keep all my apps and home set-up but have a variety of quality options when it comes to phones.

Because of Windows and Office, I'm far more likely to switch to a WinMo phone some day. And don't look now, but Sammie is experimenting with it's own OS (also based on Linux, in partnership with Intel, I believe).

As for the hardware, I agree with others that it has mostly plateaued. But that will change soon with the arrival of 64-bit ARM systems. With displays pretty much maxed out, and ram/cpu/storage mostly about costs coming down...the only real point of differentiation left is the camera (well, and battery).

combatmedic870

Reaction score

Down size the 20mp to 6-7mp and then compare. That's how you have to do it to be fair. Sony is currently the leader in sensor manufacturering.
It should do decently well especially considering the size of the sensor. Motorola is currently still going to be last the pack though.