Apple is falling

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
galaxy-s4-vs-iphone-5-640x353.jpg

Apple was known as the top dog in the smart phone industry but today they are now looking up at Samsung.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
To say people are disappointed in the direction apple is going is an understatement. Looking at the stock market Apple's stock is selling off like crazy. Say what you may about Apple they were known for providing top quality hardware and bringing a simplified user experience to the market. Out of all the devices I have sent my grandmother, nexus 7, chromebooks, android phones, the ipad mini was the one device that she was able to go from an area of no technical knowledge to learning about apps, games, and how to use Facetime. Apple has really done an excellent job of keeping their product a certain way over the years. This year it is safe to say that the loss of Steve Job's leadership along with Samsung taking the billion dollar lawsuits from apple and turning it around to lay the wood to apple in sales, we are seeing apple rattled in the smart phone industry for the first time since the iPhone debuted. Apple is now trying to play catch up and have no sense of direction. I was really surprised what they did with the iphone 5c to say that was a stupid move is an understatement. Why kill off the 5 to give us a plastic device if any thing you keep the 5, have the 5s and make the 5c a cheap $199 non contract phone. By killing off the 5 and giving people the 5c they allowed their arrogance to gamble that the people will continue to buy what ever crap they put out as long as their is an apple logo on it. Will apple recover...yes but they will need some leadership to right the ship.

Now you ask what this have to do with android because this is an android forum?

1) Android for the first time has apple pinned and now when people walk into a store they will not necessarily walk out with an iphone. This is good because developers, movie studios, and record labels are starting to see that and see the value in putting quality products in the play store. With that you can expect Google to be even more tighter with their policies and controlling the play store.

2) Companies like Motorola have a chance and this is the time to bring their A game and gain some momentum now before Apple recover.

What companies do you think will benefit and take the most advantage of apple being in a slump (because we know apple will not continue to stay there and will rebound)?

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I completely agree!

I think the 5C was a good idea to appeal to a broader crowd, especially overseas. But the decision that completely negates that is dropping the 5. They should've existed together, especially since they're basically the same phone. Now, if you want prime hardware, you either pay the big bucks for the 5S or get the 4S which is very dated now without LTE. No happy medium... Heck, even if they just threw in a black or grey plastic, instead of all the cartoon colors (at least there's white!).

I think this will open the door for other devices to come in under that $200+ price range on contract, $650+ off contract. I can see a lot of people, myself included, being turned off to the 5C simply because of the color choices, let alone the plastic.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I completely agree!

I think the 5C was a good idea to appeal to a broader crowd, especially overseas. But the decision that completely negates that is dropping the 5. They should've existed together, especially since they're basically the same phone. Now, if you want prime hardware, you either pay the big bucks for the 5S or get the 4S which is very dated now without LTE. No happy medium... Heck, even if they just threw in a black or grey plastic, instead of all the cartoon colors (at least there's white!).

I think this will open the door for other devices to come in under that $200+ price range on contract, $650+ off contract. I can see a lot of people, myself included, being turned off to the 5C simply because of the color choices, let alone the plastic.

Watching business news earlier a report had that the cell company in China they was trying to appeal to was not on board yet and apple is still trying to negotiate the deal. Unlike in America where our phones are subsidized with contracts they do not have that over seas. People could get with buying an iphone 5 for 599 but who would want to buy a plastic iphone for 599 off contract. Those wanting to sell their iphone 5 will have a market because they will be more sought after vs the 5c. This is the first time listening to iphone coverage that people didnt use the "this is the greatest iphone ever" line. Apple fans were ready, they were texting their Samsung buddies telling them "get ready because we about to make that Samsung phone look like crap..." . They at the edge of their seats just ready only to see plastic....

facepalm.jpg

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I have to respectfully disagree with your assessment pc. I think Apple just got the ball rolling again with the 5C and 5S. I believe the 5C will be a smashing success with the teens and young people. Heck I can even see some "older" women clamoring for them. Tons of Colors, affordably priced, EXCELLENT build quality and Apple branding is a no brainer when it comes to sales. They are going after a very specific demographic with that phone and lets be honest, while it is "cheap" the manufacturing/build quality of the 5C is stellar. I should say it sure as hell looks that way, I can't be for sure until I actually handle it.

In regards to the 5S, while nothing ground breaking or earth shattering, it is in my opinion the perfect marriage of hardware and software on a handset. Apple got it right. With iOS7 powering this beauty I think they once again have a hit on their hands. A well deserved hit I might add.

There's nothing lavish, new, extravagant or mind blowing about the 5S; it's just a really solid handset from top to bottom (hardware/software). That's why I'm giving it a solid endorsement. I've NEVER cared for an iPhone up until this point, they got my attention with this one. For the first time in my life I'd actually entertain owning an iPhone 5S. Keep in mind you couldn't give me an iPhone for FREE before :big smile:

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
I dunno.

Is this an Apple bashing forum, or an Android loving forum? I have not used the 5C yet, so I can't comment. We have seen this before with the iPad 3. They no longer make it, but rather make the iPad 2 and the iPad 4. Who knows why, but it's how they roll, and apparently it's been working well for them.

Perhaps the 5C will be fun for users. My wife has the 5, and it's a good phone. If the 5C was out 2 months ago when I bought the 5, I would have gotten the 5C instead. The 5S seems to have some innovative features, including the 64bit SOC. If users want the 5, there are always "ways".

Let's either see if the Android world will follow what Apple is doing this time around, or if it proves to be "fruitless".

Last edited:

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
If the 5C was out 2 months ago when I bought the 5, I would have gotten the 5C instead.

Just curious as to why since they're so close? That's my beef with their choice - not that they did the 5C, which I think was a good idea - but rather that they dropped the 5.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I have to respectfully disagree with your assessment pc. I think Apple just got the ball rolling again with the 5C and 5S. I believe the 5C will be a smashing success with the teens and young people. Heck I can even see some "older" women clamoring for them. Tons of Colors, affordably priced, EXCELLENT build quality and Apple branding is a no brainer when it comes to sales. They are going after a very specific demographic with that phone and lets be honest, while it is "cheap" the manufacturing/build quality of the 5C is stellar. I should say it sure as hell looks that way, I can't be for sure until I actually handle it.

In regards to the 5S, while nothing ground breaking or earth shattering, it is in my opinion the perfect marriage of hardware and software on a handset. Apple got it right. With iOS7 powering this beauty I think they once again have a hit on their hands. A well deserved hit I might add.

There's nothing lavish, new, extravagant or mind blowing about the 5S; it's just a really solid handset from top to bottom (hardware/software). That's why I'm giving it a solid endorsement. I've NEVER cared for an iPhone up until this point, they got my attention with this one. For the first time in my life I'd actually entertain owning an iPhone 5S. Keep in mind you couldn't give me an iPhone for FREE before :big smile:

I thinking that was the enthusiasm that apple was hoping for. Instead they got

https://www.google.com/finance?q=NASDAQ:AAPL < stock drop

I will say CK the problem with the 5c is the pricing. The same argument the Moto X got early on. The difference is that the iphone 5 build quality was really good and arguably the best built iphone (if not best built smartphone) I have ever seen. They really did a good job with it and say what you will about the iphone you can not argue that it is not worth the price but with them going plastic (polycarbonate) and trying to price it with what the iphone 5 would have cost just do not seem wise to me. Especially since the big gripe about Samsung is the "plastic" feel.

Now would be a good time Motorola to put out some X commercials with Moto Maker...just saying.

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
Did Apple lose the magic when they lost Steve Jobs? This is a time for a transition which has already started in which other manufactures stop trying to copy the iPhone and find their own direction. Perhaps the tables will turn. The conundrum that Apple ran into was being stuck with the basic iPhone design; when they changed the dock port on the iPhone 5 it made the Apple fans' heads spin and all the accessories manufactures had to react quickly. If Apple does anything more dramatic and/or drastic than changing the dock port in an attempt to innovate or re-invent the iPhone they risk even more dissension from consumers and accessory manufactures. The Apple is stuck between a rock and hard place, and I can't help but think that right about now they are asking themselves, "What Would Jobs Do?"

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

I'm 49 and see the 5c selling more to folks in my age group , thinking it's still 1980something , instead of the younger crowd. Time will tell the demographics but one thing for sure, it will sell to someone.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I thinking that was the enthusiasm that apple was hoping for. Instead they got

https://www.google.com/finance?q=NASDAQ:AAPL < stock drop

I will say CK the problem with the 5c is the pricing. The same argument the Moto X got early on. The difference is that the iphone 5 build quality was really good and arguably the best built iphone (if not best built smartphone) I have ever seen. They really did a good job with it and say what you will about the iphone you can not argue that it is not worth the price but with them going plastic (polycarbonate) and trying to price it with what the iphone 5 would have cost just do not seem wise to me. Especially since the big gripe about Samsung is the "plastic" feel.

Now would be a good time Motorola to put out some X commercials with Moto Maker...just saying.
It's polycarbonate stretched over a metal back that acts as an antennae. Apple doesn't make flimsy plasticky things (at least they haven't yet in my opinion). In regards to the pricing the 5C is the exact same phone as the 5 so it commands that price point. Regardless if it's made of polycarbonate or aluminum you can't raise or lower the price simply because they went with polycarbonate. Now if it wasn't powered by the same internals, was smaller or lacked features of the 5 then the argument could be made for the price, but I just don't see pricing as an issue. It's a brand new 5 in a new colorful case (if one chooses).

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Apple has been on a downfall for years imo. However, with the release of the 5c and 5s I think they got something for different people in both devices. As CK said, the 5c appeals to the younger generation and the people who want their favorite phone in a different color. It's hard to tell the quality of the phone through pics (at least for me), but the world is so used to seeing plastic phones (thanks to Samsung) that it's no longer a big deal anymore, the point is do the colors "pop". For many, that is a dealmaker and the fact that it doesn't really skimp out on other specs, it's a fairly good deal. What I don't understand is why it took Apple so long to do it considering their lineup of iPods and their various colors.

The 5s brings some new technology that could be implemented into other phones. I personally find the fingerprint scanner to be a very good idea. It's secure (at least the initial impression is), but extremely convenient. I know for many, including myself, entering a PIN, password, or pattern is a pain in the butt, so we don't do it. That leaves devices open for people to look through if we ever lose them (I use SeekDroid, but that still requires extra steps). The fact that you can set the 5s to be used only by you, or by a handful of trusted people, through fingerprint is a great idea. Yes the Atrix had a fingerprint scanner, but that wasn't as convenient and was at a fairly awkward area on the phone (on the top of the back of the phone for those that don't know). Having your home button be the security feature of your phone is definitely forward thinking, and something we really haven't seen from Apple for the past couple years.

I do agree that them discontinuing the 5 was a bad idea. Some people want that premium feel without the specs, and the 5 offers that when the 5s is released. They could've covered all ranges; low, mid, and high, but by them getting rid of the 5 and relying on the units left on shelves (if they don't pull them) they eliminated alot of potential buyers. And considering what Samsung offers with their Galaxy line, can they really afford to eliminate a device, especially one as popular as the 5.

Apple certainly isn't the juggernaut they used to be, and I still think they're on a downfall, but these two devices will save face for now. The company isn't going to go away for a long time, but they're far from being top dog like they used to be. We'll see once the hype dies down around these phones and see what the public thinks.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I do also think the 5S is a nice upgrade. Every "S" has been a minor, but still solid upgrade... the 3GS was much better than the 3G, 4S than the 4, etc. I think the 5S is right on par with those upgrades (if not a bit more). I'm especially interested in the camera in the 5S, as well as the motion chip.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just curious as to why [you would have bought a 5C rather than a 5] since they're so close?

My wife would have preferred the color choices, it would have been $100 dollars cheaper for the same thing, and the plastic looks durable enough to forgo the cost of an extra case.

Last edited:

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Forgot to mention pc I see what you are saying in regards to pricing. The price point of the 5C isn't going to get the iPhone penetration into the midrange smartphone segment. It should see strong sales in the states but overseas in developing markets like China people simply can't afford it. I think Apples stock dropped because of this. Investors were probably hoping for a lower priced iPhone (pure speculation)

Android is more successful in emerging markets because there are plenty of low end smartphones