Anyway to upgrade early without paying Full Retail?

Status
Not open for further replies.

warped1987

Reaction score
Does anyone know a way around paying Full Retail? I have had nothing but problems with my Droid 2 Global since I got it, and I don't want to return it for the exact same (refurbished) phone that I hate.

Plus I would like something newer, like the D3 when it comes out, or Bionic. Been feeling the urge for a phone with a FFC, shoots in HD, dual core, all that jazz.

Is there a way to complain until I'm blue in the face and they give me a discounted price, or even a phone that's 2 year contract price is currently the same as what I paid for my junker? lol. Help a brotha out!

Palazuelosva

Reaction score
No chance if you haven't gotten at least 15 replacements and have one year with your old device and are the primary owner of the line

"bwwaahhh ttsssss"

Byakushiki

Reaction score
Unless you get a helpful and kind rep :laugh:
Then there's a chance.

Sent from somewhere in a strangereal world.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
this is the most pathetic post I've ever read...

seriously? what you're asking is akin to theft.

as an adendum...whats so bad about the D2G? I have no problems with mine whatsoever

OP
W

warped1987

Reaction score
Theft? lol ok...

1.) Phone freezes every other time I try to play a game
2.) Phone has random reboots at least 2 times per day
3.) Phone types every first letter of every word twice Kkinda llike tthis when I use my physical keyboard. The only way I've found to fix it is to Install Gingerbread Keyboard. Which takes up a nice chuck of my CPU.
4.) My CPU hits 100% every time I turn around, and I have every possible thing on my Auto-End list that can be on it.
5.) I have had this annoying little problem with my screen backlight not coming back on after calls are ended unless I hit the power button.
6.) My notifications don't "Notify" me for a damn for things like Facebook or Games like they should.
7.) And this is not so much a defective problem with the phone, but I would prefer a bigger screen. 3.7" doesn't cut it for me anymore and I would like to upgrade to something 4.3"/4" (minimum)
8.) I would also like a phone with a FFC so I can web chat with family and friends from back home, again not a problem, just something I would like now that I'me xperienced in the world of Smart phones.
9.) My music headphone jack is defective, it only picks up full Audio sound when chords are plugged in, I have to adjust the Jack at a most specific angle to get the sound to come out properly. And I've had to do this to about 17 different wires now. Yes I test my shiz before I gripe about them.

But sure, if you want to call me wanting something new without having to cough up $500 by maybe even playing half price or discounted price because "I" (not you) have a defective piece of hardware and don't feel like returning it for the same phone that I already know I don't like, and have read thread upon thread on other forums about people having the same problems, stealing. Then yes, I'm trying to steal :D

Palazuelosva

Reaction score
Just sell your phone and put down the rest out of your own pocket, if you didn't like your phone had 14 days to return it for a refund or trade, after a few refurb phones they might let you trade to a droid x if you ask. I traded from a droid 1 to a droid 2 for free and now I got a thunderbolt for $250. I've had this phone for a month and it rocks, by that you can face time with your droid global using tango

"bwwaahhh ttsssss"

OP
W

warped1987

Reaction score
Well yeah, thag was my first train of thought 2 weeks back, sell this to my friend downtown, he owns one of those stores that buys phones. But I would want (kinda need) at least $200 for it to even put a dent in a new phone at full retail.

But then I thought, well once I sell it then what? What do I do next, that phones gonna get shut off and Verizon is gonna be like BLAHHHH, and how do I get the new phone activated with my number, llol, I got confused

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

Palazuelosva

Reaction score
I sold my D2 rooted and rommed for $200. Just put your line on hold and sell it once you go and buy the new phone from a cell store amazon or ebay, call from that same phone dial your info and your done. is your DG rooted?

"bwwaahhh ttsssss"

rusty815

Reaction score
Either you pay full retail or you get a replacement, your d2g is definitely defective, my d2g runs like a dream and I get 3 days of battery life, its a great phone, but like I said, you probably got a defective one.

missyvip

Reaction score
3days on battery charge..?!?

u say what! about a 3 day run on ur battery..?!? i'm feeling a lil jealous about that.!! i too have a d2g. i have had a few annoying issues w my phone similar to others i've read in the threads, but nothing that a power down and re-boot hasn't fixed. the battery however, causes me daily grief. i can't blame it completely on the battery bc i am a HEAVY user (ok..obsessive user). i know the more apps i have running the quicker the drain& my display is the main culprit. i am looking into an extended battery, but i would love 2 know ur secret for maintaining battery strength for such a long time..!! i'm new 2 the whole droid/smartphone world...maybe there's important tips or apps i'm missing..!?!

rusty815

Reaction score
I'm a heavy user too, since I sold my laptop and I'm waiting for my new one to arrive tomorrow. Under normal use, texting often and occasional internet use, I get 3 days, I don't use wifi and I have it set so my phone turns on data when I turn the screen on (I usually manually sync everything anyways). Under heavy use I can pull at the most 30 hours, which I think is still impressive. I use android overclock to keep the cpu at 300mhz when the screen is off and underclock it when battery is low, all other times its at the stock cpu settings. I'm running stock rooted with all the bloatware removed, I was using cyanogenmod but the bugs got to me and I switched back to stock.

OP
W

warped1987

Reaction score
My phone has been un-rooted since the first word of the GB OTA coming out, and that was quite some time ago.

I have zR Root still on my phone and I rooted it back once or twice so my friend could use my free tethering while he waited for the cable guy to set up internet in his new condo.

Now about trading it in for a DX, I'm not a big fan of that phone :( although I do like the display size and the HD camera, and I think it has GB OTA update already...hmmmm

I think my best bet at this point is to return this phone, get a refurbished one and sell it to the store downtown. But again, if I can't get at least $200 for it I'm screwed for paying full retail of the new phones I like coming out

rusty815

Reaction score
Really, just keep the refurbished d2g, if you get it and it works fine, why trade it in? The d2g will be getting gingerbread eventually anyways, heck, we got devs working on making cyanogenmod stable for the d2g, that's gingerbread.

OP
W

warped1987

Reaction score
Well I'm pretty sure I'm going to take it in within the next 2 hours.

Some questions though:

When I get the new phone how do they go about transferring things. Like, my contacts, app info (like my games saved info) and all that. Does it all save to some backup thing that will recognize my email for the new phone?

Next question, how do Factory Resets work. What do I lose when I do it? Wondering if I should do one before returning my phone?

Do I keep the SD card in this phone and put it in the new one, or do they keep it in the phone?

Palazuelosva

Reaction score
Well I'm pretty sure I'm going to take it in within the next 2 hours.

Some questions though:

When I get the new phone how do they go about transferring things. Like, my contacts, app info (like my games saved info) and all that. Does it all save to some backup thing that will recognize my email for the new phone?

Next question, how do Factory Resets work. What do I lose when I do it? Wondering if I should do one before returning my phone?

Do I keep the SD card in this phone and put it in the new one, or do they keep it in the phone?

This is an easy one, root your phone do a back up on recovery then sbf back to factory settings. When you get your new phone root it and install your back up and your done everything is back to normal

"bwwaahhh ttsssss"

Status
Not open for further replies.