Upgraded and Kept my Unlimited Plan

Ed Blown Vert

Reaction score
Website
ls1.com
Current Phone Model
Samsung S22U
So the day of release I paid full retail price to get my Maxx HD and keep my unlimited plan.
Today I decided to get one for my 2nd line and expected to pay full retail. ( I have 4 lines, 2 smart phones and 2 basic)
The rep told me she could use the upgrade from one of my basic lines to get the Maxx HD at the discounted price and keep my unlimited plan. Sweet!
Then I asked about the phone I just got. She let me return it (on paper) then sell it back to me at the discounted price. + a $35 restocking fee. Double sweet! :)

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
She deserves an award for superb costumer service! What a super day for you!

Caesars

Reaction score
Amazing lol, i need to see if i can somehow add on a second line. Im pretty sure i can't do that anymore though :)

Return of the Android

OP
Ed Blown Vert

Ed Blown Vert

Reaction score
Website
ls1.com
Current Phone Model
Samsung S22U
She deserves an award for superb costumer service! What a super day for you!

She was great. She went out of her way to help me figure out how to keep my unlimited plan and get the phones at the upgraded price. :)

Amazing lol, i need to see if i can somehow add on a second line. Im pretty sure i can't do that anymore though :)

Return of the Android

She told me she could have done it the same way if I also added another line. So if I only had two smart phones, I could have added a new 3rd and a 4th line. I wouldn't have save as much since I would be paying $10 a month for each line.

Last edited:

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
Crapola!! I just dropped full retail ca$h for mine!! Wife has an upgrade available on her basic line too!! Grrrrrr!! I may have to try and see if I can get someone at VzW to hook me up like this!

~~ Tapped from the 7th dimension~~

Cattledog1969

Reaction score
I paid full retail price for mine too. I kept my data plan, and in my existing plan, I will be eligible for an upgrade in 9 months. In that time I'm sure something else will come out, and if it smokes the Razor Max HD, I will be able to get it at the discount price:)

mosigma

Reaction score
How is it possible to get an upgrade, pay discounted price and still retain unlimited plan?? I didn't think this was possible. If so, I will need to share this info with my Verizon guy Jose who is selling me my phone this week.

OP
Ed Blown Vert

Ed Blown Vert

Reaction score
Website
ls1.com
Current Phone Model
Samsung S22U
How is it possible to get an upgrade, pay discounted price and still retain unlimited plan?? I didn't think this was possible. If so, I will need to share this info with my Verizon guy Jose who is selling me my phone this week.

I didn't think so either. But she made it work. I doubled check my account online and both smartphones are on a two year contract and both still have unlimited data. ;)
She said having the other two basic lines made it easy for her to move things around.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
mosigma said:

The only way, so far, is if you have to have more than one line and an eligible upgrade that can be used on a tiered line.
*Place the eligible upgrade on the limited tiered line,
*get the new subsidized phone on that limited tiered line's upgrade,
*very important-activate the new phone on the limited tiered line to update the contract for that line (because it is a tiered line, the upgrade does not cause you to choose a tiered package for that line).
*once the contract is updated on the tiered line, you can put the new phone on any line you want, including your unlimited lines.

paoutdoorsman

Reaction score
The only way, so far, is if you have to have more than one line and an eligible upgrade that can be used on a tiered line.
*Place the eligible upgrade on the limited tiered line,
*get the new subsidized phone on that limited tiered line's upgrade,
*very important-activate the new phone on the limited tiered line to update the contract for that line (because it is a tiered line, the upgrade does not cause you to choose a tiered package for that line).
*once the contract is updated on the tiered line, you can put the new phone on any line you want, including your unlimited lines.

Can anyone confirm if I can do this with an online purchase? I have a basic line that is eligable for an upgrade and would like to upgrade the basic phone line with the Maxx HD then move as you are suggesting. And I'd like to take advantage of the Amazon price. :)

geoff5093

Reaction score
Can anyone confirm if I can do this with an online purchase? I have a basic line that is eligable for an upgrade and would like to upgrade the basic phone line with the Maxx HD then move as you are suggesting. And I'd like to take advantage of the Amazon price. :)
I heard that phones bought online through companies such as Amazon charge a fee if the phone gets transferred to a different line.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
I heard that phones bought online through companies such as Amazon charge a fee if the phone gets transferred to a different line.

Yep. Pretty spot on. I think you have to leave the phone on that line for 180 days with Amazon or they give you an ETF of their own

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

paoutdoorsman

Reaction score
Ok, I was afraid of what other obligations there might be in the fine print with Amazon since the phone is $100 less.

What about doing this through Verizon online? Any limitation with doing what is mentioned here if going that route?

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
No, Verizon, Costco and best buy let you switch your phone to any line you want without a fee.

t0k3ndr01d

Reaction score
I purchased a Maxx HD through Amazon for another number under my family plan that was eligible for upgrade a discounted price. As soon as the phone came in, instead of activating it on the number it was supposed to be activated on, I took it to Verizon and they complied the terms of service for amazon, and without activating it on the other line first, put it straight on my line that I have unlimited data grandfathered in on. No extra fees from Amazon or Verizon. Only fees I have occurred total is the 199.99 from Amazon for the phone and 30.00 for upgrading the other line with Verizon. The activated the SIM Card straight to my number instead of to the other number so it tied the Amazon terms of service to my line with unlimited data. I have no idea how the lady at Verizon did it, but she is a Godsend. So to sum it up, Maxx HD, discounted price, unlimited data, no extra fees.