Upgraded and Kept my Unlimited Plan

beefchopper

Reaction score
I am going to try this when I upgrade soon. i was going to get the phone though Amazon to save $100 but keeping the unlimited data may prove useful. I however have not used over 0.5 GB in the last few months on my DI2 which is 3G. I find it hard to believe that I would even hit 2 GB with 4G but we'll see. I'd rather just keep it if I can no problem but that may mean I would have to spend the extra $100. That to me isn't really worth it just to keep unlimited instead of 2 GB. But I just looked at Radioshack's prices and they are the same as Amazon. What I'm not sure of though is whether or not I could get those prices in the store or if they are online only. Plus, I called yesterday and the guy told me they don't have the Maxx HD (or the 32 GB Galaxy S3 which I am considering). So unless he was wrong or they got it in (or will by tomorrow) and I can get those prices in store, then it looks like I would pay $300 for Maxx HD no matter where I go to keep unlimited or wait a few days and get it for $200 from Amazon and lose my unlimited. I also need to compare the current pricing with a Share Everything plan. It may be worth it to go with that. We may even add in a jetpack to use as our second home's internet connection since we don't have one there yet but will soon. At $20 a month for a jetpack, that may work, although I'd have to see what the data usage of it would be, depending on what normal usage of a computer is and how often we are there. Guess I better start crunching some numbers. Good to know that it is possible to keep unlimited though!

I'm in the same camp as you, a low 3G data user. I have read many times that on average, the amount of data people use when they switch to 4G goes up ten times. I really find that hard to believe but that is what is fueling the enormous increases in data usage all of the cellular companies are reporting. I'll know soon when I get my new 4G phone but until I do know I'm afraid to give up on unlimited even though right now I use as little as you do.

Jamo319

Reaction score
I just bought a RAZR Maxx HD from Verizon.com and gave up my unlimited data. I just got it in the mail today. Is it too late to use my dead phone line upgrade on this new phone and get my unlimited data back?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
If you have not activated it yet, then maybe. If you have already activated it on your unlimited line then it may be too late. I would call Verizon and explain exactly what you want to do... which is keep your unlimited on the one line, upgrade the dumb phone line. Activate the phone on the dumb phone line, then switch it to the unlimited line. Once this is done, you can cancel the data on the dumb phone line.

geoff5093

Reaction score
I'm in the same camp as you, a low 3G data user. I have read many times that on average, the amount of data people use when they switch to 4G goes up ten times. I really find that hard to believe but that is what is fueling the enormous increases in data usage all of the cellular companies are reporting. I'll know soon when I get my new 4G phone but until I do know I'm afraid to give up on unlimited even though right now I use as little as you do.
I wouldn't say it goes up 10 times, not even close. My usage is roughly the same, maybe slightly higher on 4G but nothing noticeable.

06M6TorridGTO

Reaction score
I think my brother's usage went up just over twice as much but he also started using Facebook on his phone at the same time since he was not on a full smartphone, unlimited plan before he got a Samsung Stratosphere on 4G. I know his 4G did top over 2 GB a month but he had gotten it when they did their "Double The Data" promotion so he had 4 GB for $30. But he used Facebook a lot. I however do not use Facebook anymore so I probably shouldn't be worried about exceeding it. But either way, I went to Best Buy last night and got the Razr Maxx HD. It is a beautiful phone. I activated it on my mom's phone line which was just a basic phone. Our other basic phone (my dad's) is eligible in February for upgrade. I called Verizon after I got home to switch the phones up and put the Razr on my line and her basic phone on her's but they couldn't do it last night. I'm not sure why but they said they could definitely do it if I called in the morning after 7. I haven't done it yet so I still have the Eris on my line but they were able to put her basic phone of her line. I guess they just couldn't activate the Razr on a different line that night. I think it had something to do with the SIM card and maybe it hadn't cleared everything yet. Either way, her line shows 2 GB data and mine shows unlimited so it should stay that way. But I will say, the verizon rep I spoke with was extremely helpful and courteous. We talked about the weather, comparing different phones, she even asked me the infamous Android or Apple question! But she is a Samsung lover so she wanted to here why I chose the Razr over it. lol I'm gonna call in a little bit after I get all my texts and apps backed up, then transferred over. Should be easy to do. I'm gonna cancel my data on my mom's line as well.

oh and one thing I forgot to mention: Best Buy does match online competitor pricing now. I forgot about this at first. I have done it multiple times. I was staring at the Razr Maxx HD and it all of a sudden hit me so I asked the girl there if I could do the online price match with phones too and she said absolutely. That was all I needed to say ok I'll take it now! lol I did want to test a 64 GB card on it but I didnt have one and they didn't have a working model of it. But they gave me the $100 off to match the pricing so it was great! They did not have a case for it and the screen protector was $25 for just one so I didnt want that. But Best Buy's Protection Plan for $10 a month will allow me to replace the phone if ANYTHING happens to it (except loss or theft). Cracked screen, dings, dents, scratches, anything. And you can cancel anytime so I'll just leave it until I get an Otterbox and then cancel the plan!

Last edited:

bassplyr

Reaction score
I currently have an unlimited data plan and would like to keep it. I have other lines in my plan on which I can activate the MAXX HD, but it sounds like the least risk way to do this is via Verizon. Otherwise, if I try it through Amazon or Wirefly and switch the phone over to my unlimited line, they could charge me for ETF when I cancel the new tiered data plan on the extra line.

Thanks,
Roger

wvdroidman

Reaction score
I upgraded to the Nexus then returned it within 14 days but they never gave me my unlimited back. There's no way to get it back now is there?

TRIKOTRET

Reaction score
Seeing so many threads about this topic. Please tell me if I can keep my unlimited plan if i do it the following way. My primary line with unlimited data is eligible for an upgrade on December. Can I transfer that upgrade to my dummy line and activate the new phone on that dummy line, then put the dummy phone back on that line and lastly put the new phone on my primary line with unlimited :)

bassplyr

Reaction score
Seeing so many threads about this topic. Please tell me if I can keep my unlimited plan if i do it the following way. My primary line with unlimited data is eligible for an upgrade on December. Can I transfer that upgrade to my dummy line and activate the new phone on that dummy line, then put the dummy phone back on that line and lastly put the new phone on my primary line with unlimited :)

That's the workaround people are using to maintain their unlimited plan. I am going to try Best Buy this weekend and see if they can do it along with price matching Amazon. I'll let you know how I come out.

Roger

bassplyr

Reaction score
That's the workaround people are using to maintain their unlimited plan. I am going to try Best Buy this weekend and see if they can do it along with price matching Amazon. I'll let you know how I come out.

Roger

I stopped by Best Buy tonight and they were on board with matching Amazon and trying to do the upgrade to my dummy line. Sales guy said sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Still thinking.

Roger

06M6TorridGTO

Reaction score
Just to update, I did finally get my Maxx HD up and running on my line. I had originally upgraded at Best Buy onto my mom's basic phone line (which was upgraded to 2GB data). I then went home and called Verizon to put the Maxx HD on my line and my mom's basic phone back her line. They could not do anything with the Maxx HD at the time as far as switching it to my other line. They couldn't even figure it out but assured me they could do it the next morning if I called then. II was able to get my mom's phone back on her line though and I just kept using my Eris on my line. I ended up not doing it the next morning because I wanted to back up apps and texts off my DI2 and the few texts from my Eris, and then restore them onto the Maxx HD before I put service on it.

I finally got it all set up Saturday night and went to activate the phone on my line by doing it online. I went through the process of entering in the IMEI and then it asked for the SIM card number. After that, it asked about the data plan I wanted to use. Kinda scared me for a second that I would have to go to the 2 GB line but it had the option for unlimited so I went with that. I should check today to make it it is still unlimited. Anyway, after it was all successful, I restarted my phone and I could not make any calls. Kept saying the number was invalid. Annoyed me and I was in a rush to meet up with friends so I went to switch it back to my Eris and I could not change it back! The option to active or switch a phone on that line was greyed out and said pending order. So here I am with no way to use my phone or to put on a different phone. No one else was home so I couldn't contact Verizon. So I just left to meet with my friends and figured I would use one of their phones to call. That's what I did. When I called them, they couldn't get my Maxx HD up and running. She seems to think that I probably fried the SIM card because After trying to get it to work, I tried the *228 programming option and supposedly that will fry the SIM card. She was able to get my Eris back on there and told me I would have to go to get a new SIM card the next day (Sunday) from the Verizon store, since they were already closed that night.

I went to the Verizon store yesterday and the lady at the desk was very helpful. But it took forever to get going. We had noticed that with no WiFi on, I was still getting emails but calls could not be made. She thought that was weird. She did say that she understands why the lady on the phone thought I fried the SIM card but these phones don't even let you dial that number so that wasn't the case. She was able to check and see that the SIM card had not be registered with the system yet and supposedly they can take some time. After probably 20-30 minutes of trying it, and going through some things, the system finally showed it was registered and we made the test call successfully. So I finally got my Razr Maxx HD on my line up and running just fine lol these 4G phone may be amazing but damn that was so much harder than a 3G phone. I used to switch between my DI2 and Eris when the DI2 charging port was broken. I would charge one phone while using the other. That was a seamless process switching and involved just the MEID number. Less than 1 minute (in addition to phone restart time). But I'm finally up and running!!

mmaxx

Reaction score
Pretty much the same as above. Went to Best Buy last week with my brother. Transferred my upgrade to him as we are on a family plan. My line still has ULP, his 2gb plan. He purchased maxx hd and they priced matched amazon at $199 and waived the activation fee (probably by mistake). A few days later we stopped into the local verizon shop and switched phones. Took them about 15 mins, but were super helpful and never questioned why, etc., etc. Funny part is my upgrade date got extended 20 months (or whatever it is) and his stayed the same as it was even though I was expecting the dates to switch when I transferred my upgrade to him. So at the end of the day I got new maxx hd, kept my unlimited plan and got my upgrade date extended at a price matched $199. Pretty sweet if you ask me. Loving the maxx hd after 3 yrs of the Eris. Thanks for all the guidance.

geoff5093

Reaction score
Pretty much the same as above. Went to Best Buy last week with my brother. Transferred my upgrade to him as we are on a family plan. My line still has ULP, his 2gb plan. He purchased maxx hd and they priced matched amazon at $199 and waived the activation fee (probably by mistake). A few days later we stopped into the local verizon shop and switched phones. Took them about 15 mins, but were super helpful and never questioned why, etc., etc. Funny part is my upgrade date got extended 20 months (or whatever it is) and his stayed the same as it was even though I was expecting the dates to switch when I transferred my upgrade to him. So at the end of the day I got new maxx hd, kept my unlimited plan and got my upgrade date extended at a price matched $199. Pretty sweet if you ask me. Loving the maxx hd after 3 yrs of the Eris. Thanks for all the guidance.
Are you sure you kept unlimited? By using your upgrade, even though you transferred it to him, it may have put you on a tiered data plan.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
geoff5093 said:
Are you sure you kept unlimited? By using your upgrade, even though you transferred it to him, it may have put you on a tiered data plan.

If he activated it on the tiered line first before moving it to his unlimited line, which it looks like he did, then his unlimited remains intact. It's the one way you can get a new phone at a subsidized price and keep your unlimited.