anyone ever get into it with verizon abt rooted phones or stuck with the 500$ fee

OP
93fuelslut

93fuelslut

Reaction score
If you're not happy with Verizon's policy on rooted phones, just use your actual warranty.[/QUOTE]

As in contact Motorola? I will tomorrow

TatDroid

Reaction score
MissionImprobable said:
it's no different than auto dealerships trying to void warranties because someone added an aftermarket exhaust or suspension and some completely unrelated part failed.
I'm not sure your analogy is valid. Maybe it would apply if your phone was rooted and then there was a hardware issue - like the volume rocker fell off.

But we're talking about altering the software on the phone, and then having a software issue. It's VERY difficult to prove that the software that was altered did not cause the software issue problem with the phone.

Last edited:
OP
93fuelslut

93fuelslut

Reaction score
Well fellas.............guess what I did.
Sending my phone back saying power button has a wiggle to it and hardly works when pressed so my screen won't unlock

Let's see what happens

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure your analogy is valid. Maybe it would apply if your phone was rooted and then there was a hardware issue - like the volume rocker fell off.

But we're talking about altering the software on the phone, and then having a software issue. It's VERY difficult to prove that the software that was altered did not cause the software issue problem with the phone.

Alright, let's use the more direct analogy: it would be like PC companies not honoring warranties because you removed the bloatware that came on it. Actually, this is a ridiculously twisted situation because it would be like you having to buy your PC from your internet service provider and then them not honoring a warranty because you remove their bloatware and somehow the PC developed errors at some point down the road.

Users have already won on that front in that companies who sell PCs can't void your warranty for getting rid of all the extra crap that comes on it. This situation is a little strange, however, because rooting and such doesn't void the manufacturers warranties, just the carrier warranties. Realistically this is something that might not get dealt with legally until further down the road. We now how TVs coming with full OSes so it will be interesting to see what comes of that. Regardless, unless you're messing with the processor or other hardware it's ridiculous to void warranties because of rooting or flashing Roms as a whole. It's a completely different story if you hardbrick, though even in that case charging customers more than a nominal fee is ridiculous.

vatothe0

Reaction score
Does a PC manufacturer cover a computer that doesn't boot if you replace the bios though? Doubtful.

Problems with the sound card after installing Linux? Tough.

Errors after overclocking? On your own.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Does a PC manufacturer cover a computer that doesn't boot if you replace the bios though? Doubtful.

Problems with the sound card after installing Linux? Tough.

Errors after overclocking? On your own.
That is why I said hardbricking and damage from overclocking shouldn't be covered, but there also shouldn't be the ridiculous fee that gets tacked on.

Quick

Reaction score
That is why I said hardbricking and damage from overclocking shouldn't be covered, but there also shouldn't be the ridiculous fee that gets tacked on.

What fee? My understanding is that people have sent in their phone for warranty replacement. VZW sends the replacement and some while later they charge for the replacement since the original was determined not to be covered by the warranty. I believe they tell you that when you call in? That they will send a replacement immediately but if your phone is determined not to be covered you will be charged for it. Is it a flat $500 fee and not dependent on the particular phone model?

Does one have the option to send the phone in for a determination before pulling the trigger?

TatDroid

Reaction score
MissionImprobable said:
Alright, let's use the more direct analogy: it would be like PC companies not honoring warranties because you removed the bloatware that came on it. Actually, this is a ridiculously twisted situation because it would be like you having to buy your PC from your internet service provider and then them not honoring a warranty because you remove their bloatware and somehow the PC developed errors at some point down the road.

Users have already won on that front in that companies who sell PCs can't void your warranty for getting rid of all the extra crap that comes on it. This situation is a little strange, however, because rooting and such doesn't void the manufacturers warranties, just the carrier warranties. Realistically this is something that might not get dealt with legally until further down the road. We now how TVs coming with full OSes so it will be interesting to see what comes of that. Regardless, unless you're messing with the processor or other hardware it's ridiculous to void warranties because of rooting or flashing Roms as a whole. It's a completely different story if you hardbrick, though even in that case charging customers more than a nominal fee is ridiculous.
I can certainly understand your feelings. It would be great if Verizon changed their policy.

When you own your own company I think you should allow your customers to alter your products, them bring them back for a free replacement if they break it. You will have legions of very happy customers.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
I can certainly understand your feelings. It would be great if Verizon changed their policy.

When you own your own company I think you should allow your customers to alter your products, them bring them back for a free replacement if they break it. You will have legions of very happy customers.
Did I say for free? I simply said rooting and removing bloatware should not void warranties and that if someone messes up a device by attempting to flash a Rom and hardbricking they should have to pay to have it replaced, but $500 is ridiculous. The repair cost is most certainly not anywhere near that. Phone companies make tons of money off of insurance because most people will never make claims, so the few who do shouldn't have to be reamed like they stole something. If you decide to take a corner too quickly and you damage your car you only have to pay a deductible and then insurance takes care of the rest.

I see no problem with VZ charging a nominal fee for replacement of devices in certain cases, but the $500 max they are allowed to charge is ridiculous and there are no two ways about that. Do keep on with the hyperbole though, it always makes for a weak stance in a debate. =D

malaroth

Reaction score
What fee? My understanding is that people have sent in their phone for warranty replacement. VZW sends the replacement and some while later they charge for the replacement since the original was determined not to be covered by the warranty. I believe they tell you that when you call in? That they will send a replacement immediately but if your phone is determined not to be covered you will be charged for it. Is it a flat $500 fee and not dependent on the particular phone model?

Does one have the option to send the phone in for a determination before pulling the trigger?

You are correct in that it is not a flat $500 fee. The charge is for a full price replacement if you have opted to replace your phone through insurance and have voided the warranty based on the carrier and insurance terms, i.e. tampering with the operating system through root. This is the case even with physical damage even if the root caused zero problems i.e cracked screen. However I never ran ics and jumped straight from the thunderbolt rooted with ics (successfully replaced damaged equipment with unroot) to the gnex rooted with JB
** edit
http://www.pcworld.com/article/201892/us_government_iphone_jailbreaking_is_fair_use.html
Sourcerized, Milestoned, just missing the Cheetos and Redbull. http://teamsourcery.com/Images/teambanner.png FTW Keep the Magic alive!!

Last edited:

vatothe0

Reaction score
Also, I've never seen it be $500, only $300.

You're free to pursue your manufacturer warranty with the manufacturer.

vatothe0

Reaction score
Phone companies make tons of money off of insurance because most people will never make claims, so the few who do shouldn't have to be reamed like they stole something.

The deductible is only $100, where do you keep coming up with $500.