Verizon Motorola Droid FORCED update destroyed my root access and corrupted apps

Status
Not open for further replies.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
swagmonster,

They say you're stealing data, but I say, as expensive as they already are, they can live with it.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
How is it a forced update? You have to press a big button that says INSTALL NOW.

this is true. if you get a custom rom, or have root access, you can remove the ota update feature.

too late now tho.

as for Z4, i have an APK ready to send. just PM me your email addy and ill shoot you the apk.

How do I remove the OTA update feature? I'll take an apk of an updated z4 if you have it, just for safe keeping.

infinity8x3

Reaction score
This is why I hate the l33t one click root apps.

All the ppl that rooted there phone correctly don't have this problem and aren't bringing attention to big red.

warrior21

Reaction score
If you have a custom recovery installed like sprecovery or clockwork they will block the install.

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The Verizon TOS states "modifying your device from the manufacturer's specifications"...

So... my question would be, how does rooting "modify the device from the manufacturer's specifications"? The only thing rooting does is open up ALL of the manufacturer's "specifications". If one pays that much money for a phone you would think that ALL of the "specifications" would be available to the consumer at that price.

That would be like buying a new TV and they tell you "you aren't allowed to turn to any other channel than the one it's set on".

Tethering is a whole different ball game. That I can understand being against the TOS.

swagmonster

Reaction score
Ya at first I only rooted to flip verizon the finger but then. I found the many joys, stealing data ya right I'm paying 30 bucks a month for unlimited data I'm damn well gunna use that data any way I see fit

Sent from my DROID2

cpjr

Reaction score
Ok, I gotta say it....cause its kinda funny. But your calling the Verizon reps morons because you did an update that WASNT required and they know your phone is screwed up now because it was rooted and modded. Thats sucks dude, but come on.....you know who's really to blame.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ok, cool beans. I thought Clockwork would block it, but wasn't sure. Thanks!

warrior21

Reaction score
The Verizon TOS states "modifying your device from the manufacturer's specifications"...

So... my question would be, how does rooting "modify the device from the manufacturer's specifications"? The only thing rooting does is open up ALL of the manufacturer's "specifications". If one pays that much money for a phone you would think that ALL of the "specifications" would be available to the consumer at that price.

That would be like buying a new TV and they tell you "you aren't allowed to turn to any other channel than the one it's set on".

Tethering is a whole different ball game. That I can understand being against the TOS.

Rooting itself might not modify the manufacturers specs but what we do after we root does. Overclocking in itself would violate the TOS.

Bullitt6996

Reaction score
I think it may depend on your individual ROM, I run what you see in my signature, allowed the update, but my sys info still says FRG22D Bugless Beast v.05 The only thing I noticed that got sucker punched was my Recovery, can't seem to access it, not even from Clockwork. Phone is texting wifi tethering, with SuperUser and SetCpu able to fire up and run as before. I'm sure I need to get in there and fix something, but what ROM was the OP running?

Skull One

Reaction score
The amount of ignorance so far is truly astounding.

This following link is the ONLY document that actually applies to most of the questions and incorrect statements made so far.

Customer Agreement

Under "My Wireless Device" you will read the following

Your wireless device must comply with Federal Communications Commission regulations, be certified for use on our network, and be compatible with your Service. Please be aware that we may change your wireless device's software, applications or programming remotely, without notice.
Now for the key phrase that makes ROOTING illegal on the VZW network

"be certified for use on our network"

And if you took the time read every word in that one little quote you will also notice

"Please be aware that we may change your wireless device's software, applications or programming remotely, without notice."

So with those two simple sentences that should cover just about every argument, misinformation and flat out stupidity said on the subject at hand.

So I would say now is a good time to close this discussion before someone else says something out of ignorance.

astevens54

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
This certainly does make Verizon look any better than Apple whom I consider Nazi's and how they control everything they touch. It is the main reason why I don't have an I phone. The Android OS is supposed to be an open community. I am sure that someone will crack this situation and soon if not already done. Verizon helped facilitate the Android OS' rise, but there are other facts for this Verizon had better wake up and listen to it's customers or be prepared to lose them, it's a competitive market and they aren't the only game in town.

warrior21

Reaction score
This certainly does make Verizon look any better than Apple whom I consider Nazi's and how they control everything they touch. It is the main reason why I don't have an I phone. The Android OS is supposed to be an open community. I am sure that someone will crack this situation and soon if not already done. Verizon helped facilitate the Android OS' rise, but there are other facts for this Verizon had better wake up and listen to it's customers or be prepared to lose them, it's a competitive market and they aren't the only game in town.
No but as far as personal experience goes they are still the best game in town and most of their customers don't really care about the whole open source thing. They just want a phone that works well when they need it, so I doubt they will lose many

Sent from my Droid

cpjr

Reaction score

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
As a note, its not a case, so there is no "judgement."
It is merely a clause added to the DCMA by the Library of Congress.
This article also states that there are sticky legal situations such as, "breaking underlying access protections." Which could be considered "rooting" or the like.

Being a root user removes "access protections" wouldn't you say?

Sent from my rooted A855.

Status
Not open for further replies.