Verizon Motorola Droid FORCED update destroyed my root access and corrupted apps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skull One

Reaction score
Now for the key phrase that makes ROOTING illegal on the VZW network

If your trying to say rooting is illegal, you sir are the ignorant one. It is NOT illegal in any way BY LAW. And Verizon is not the law.

Here is an article on the judgement if you dont believe me.

DailyTech - Library of Congress: Jailbreaking, Rooting Phones, Video Montages are Legal

Please know what your talking about before bashing anyone.

And this is why I suggested the thread to be CLOSED before anything else ignorant was posted.

The Library of Congress' ruling states you can not be prosecuted for those actions. It does not in any way, shape or form give you relief from being dropped by your telephone carrier for breaking their rules. You should have actually read every word of the actual submission to the LoC records. I did.

So my statement concerning the Verizon Customer Agreement is 100% correct. It is illegal on the VZW network. And because of that fact, they can legally drop you the second they discover you have modified the operating system of the phone beyond the point that it is certified for operation on their network. Before the LoC change, they could have also sued and/or prosecuted you for that change.

I think it is time you take your own advice.

maddog0331

Reaction score
So, I guess then if some people are going to think that by rooting your phone and you being the rightful owner, and not allowing you to delete some pre installed apps that at the end 1 they are on the mrket if you want them and 2 the are only trials. So how does that makes you an "owner" at all. It seems like if Verizon wants to control everything that you do with your phone. For example, I know that a lot of us buy cars from dealers and they always advertise their services in "your" car for free (license plate frame or decals). I dont like that and I always take those things off before I even leave the dealer if they dont do it then I dont purchase the car. So if I bring my car back to the dealer for service you are going to tell me that the are going deny me service because I remove the decals or the license plate frame...

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

cpjr

Reaction score
Now for the key phrase that makes ROOTING illegal on the VZW network

If your trying to say rooting is illegal, you sir are the ignorant one. It is NOT illegal in any way BY LAW. And Verizon is not the law.

Here is an article on the judgement if you dont believe me.

DailyTech - Library of Congress: Jailbreaking, Rooting Phones, Video Montages are Legal

Please know what your talking about before bashing anyone.

And this is why I suggested the thread to be CLOSED before anything else ignorant was posted.

The Library of Congress' ruling states you can not be prosecuted for those actions. It does not in any way, shape or form give you relief from being dropped by your telephone carrier for breaking their rules. You should have actually read every word of the actual submission to the LoC records. I did.

So my statement concerning the Verizon Customer Agreement is 100% correct. It is illegal on the VZW network. And because of that fact, they can legally drop you the second they discover you have modified the operating system of the phone beyond the point that it is certified for operation on their network. Before the LoC change, they could have also sued and/or prosecuted you for that change.

I think it is time you take your own advice.

Ok, maybe you need to use proper terminology....ILLEGAL is not the correct term, it is a LEGAL term.....Verizon does NOT make law, therefore they cannot make something "illegal". They frown upon, they dont like it, they can get over it.

PS- And the fact that they could drop you if they wanted, is only because they have the right as a company to refuse service to anyone they choose, plain and simple. Not because rooting is "illegal".

Last edited:

Wongway

Reaction score
Maddog, don't be ignorant.

If you were to buy a car and do something like, let's say... install a new stereo and replaced the wiring system with something you say is better or heavier duty, and said wiring system fries and starts a fire in your car. If you take that same car back to the dealer to do warranty work, they (any) dealer would tell you to pound salt.

You know (or should know) what the terms of service are.
You know (or should know) what the risks of rooting your device are.

I haven't even rooted and "I" can plainly see there's warnings ALL OVER THIS SITE that tell you what may or may not happen if/when you root.

So if you're rooted, and something bad happens because you weren't prepared for it, well, like any smart community, and without sympathy or remorse, we'd all tell you to go pound salt.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Supercharging your cars engine isn't illegal, but it voids your warranty. They don't have to fix anything once you modify the car beyond factory specs. This is the same. You know the risks when rooting and there are possible adverse effects and these are well documented.

This thread has gotten argumentative and doesn't help anyone and I'm closing it down.

Sent from somewhere...

Status
Not open for further replies.