[How-To] Force Motorola Droid 2.1 OTA Update (ESE81)

artshark

Reaction score
hey guys i did the manual update. i have pinch-zoom in the default browser and all, but no 3d launcher? what's up?

frayed

Reaction score
Google earth

I just went to see If google earth was still in the marketplace and it was. In fact, it also updated mine

Also unfortunately the 3 d launcher is not part of the 2.1 update for droid

frayed

Reaction score
Also I should mention even with the update I just got G earth is worthless on the Droid. freezing constantly! Looking forward to flash that will be cool

scottwyden

Reaction score
I updated and everything went fine but now the phone has been cycling between DROID and the Eye for over 30 minutes!

solar

Reaction score
Also I should mention even with the update I just got G earth is worthless on the Droid. freezing constantly! Looking forward to flash that will be cool

Google earth runs fine on mine and I did the force update. Maybe there is something else running on your phone thats effecting it?

zero7404

Reaction score
hey guys i did the manual update. i have pinch-zoom in the default browser and all, but no 3d launcher? what's up?

+1 .... is there supposed to be a 3D launcher ?
that would be even cooler than the update itself ...

Briankbl

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been asked and answered, but there are way too many pages to read through lol

I have AdamZ's smoked glass 4.5, rooted and all that awesome stuff. If I force install this update, I understand that I will lose root. My question is, what about my smoked glass theme? Would that be gone too?

Still hoping someone can answer this for me.

solar

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been asked and answered, but there are way too many pages to read through lol

I have AdamZ's smoked glass 4.5, rooted and all that awesome stuff. If I force install this update, I understand that I will lose root. My question is, what about my smoked glass theme? Would that be gone too?

Is the smoked glass theme dependant on the rooted ROM? I'm not rooted, so I don't know how you have the theme applied. If its a theme applied by a 3rd party app, then I imagin you would be able to reinstall it, if need be.

I've also read a lot about people having issues with the manual update if they didn't un-root first. I don't know that this really answers ou question, but its all I got! Maybe someone else with "smoked" will chime in.

JimmyD

Reaction score

+1 .... is there supposed to be a 3D launcher ?
that would be even cooler than the update itself ...

No, 3D launcher was never an officially advertised feature of the official 2.1 update. It was only rumored to be a feature as a result of many blogs and forum posting. It was never an officially advertised feature.

ezekiel2000

Reaction score

Yes, you would be back to a stock theme.

If you want to keep your theme, use the rooted ESE81 that's out there, then re-theme. The instructions and everything you need can be found here, you just have to search a bit.

solar

Reaction score
I updated and everything went fine but now the phone has been cycling between DROID and the Eye for over 30 minutes!

i'm having the same problem. any suggestions?

If you can get back to the menu you accessed to install the update, do a factory reset instead. Maybe someone has a better idea, but wiping it seems to fixed all kinds of weird issues.