[How-To] Force Motorola Droid 2.1 OTA Update (ESE81)

jgriffaz

Reaction score
I updated and everything went fine but now the phone has been cycling between DROID and the Eye for over 30 minutes!

i'm having the same problem. any suggestions?

You'll probably need to do a hard reset.

Hard Reset

The instructions mention a FORMAT option. I didn't have a FORMAT option when I was in RECOVERY MODE. Instead I had something like 'wipe all data/reboot'.

I did that to fix a different issue and my phone was on 2.1 when I was done with all the setup crap.

Reaction score
i was reading the motorola fan page on facebook, and this one dude is saying that since some people are having "lag" problems w/manual update there could be a spyware in the manual update because someone could mess with the code. ... I dont really believe him because i think that if there was one. our amazing Droid community would of found one by now and notified us all. i mean like c'mon...when you compare both manual and OTA together, they both have the same system settings and stuff like that.

athack

Reaction score
just searched the market and google earth is gone? there is a google earth blog, and gps2 google earth...and also asked earlier but no reply, should any files be deleted from sd card after forcing update?

mlposer

Reaction score
ota and rooting

if my phone is rooted by no new rom is installed will i still get the ota 2.1 update or do i have to force the update (i understand i will loose root)

thanks

OP
Getaphixx

Getaphixx

Reaction score
if my phone is rooted by no new rom is installed will i still get the ota 2.1 update or do i have to force the update (i understand i will loose root)

thanks

Reset to factory.. Force update..

skidoo

Reaction score
Is it me, or are people forcing the update having issues verses using the OTA?

Issues? Clearly. But the evidence suggests the "issues" having nothing to do with the actual update, but rather people getting in over their heads technically.

This is a basic, simple, straightforward process that works flawlessly...if you're at least minimally comfortable working with the file system.

dmartins

Reaction score
i was reading the motorola fan page on facebook, and this one dude is saying that since some people are having "lag" problems w/manual update there could be a spyware in the manual update because someone could mess with the code. ... I dont really believe him because i think that if there was one. our amazing Droid community would of found one by now and notified us all. i mean like c'mon...when you compare both manual and OTA together, they both have the same system settings and stuff like that.
Look at the link https://android.clients.google.com/updates/voles/signed-voles-ESE81-from-ESD56.fa406da6.zip
It's from the android site so it can't have spyware unless it was put there by Motorola or Google.

cheese2thecake

Reaction score
Excellent!

installed without a hitch and phone runs so much smoother. loving the live wallpapers and new gallery. battery seams to last longer as well. Thanks!:icon_ banana:

mrhammy

Reaction score
so i still get

-- Install from sdcard...
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
E:failed to verify whole-file...
E:signature verification failed...
Installation aborted.

i used the same file on my wifes phone and it updated in 3 min.

I had rooted my phone but have put it back to stock with RSD

Now what can i do? tried 5 different downloads and even have a known working file, i have factory reset the phone 3 times. offer any ideas you can think of but none the basic newbie ones, i have done them all i think

Last edited:

WarsDarksider

Reaction score
Yeah i get the same message when trying to root my phone. I searched the forum, went through all 44 pages of this thread and no one seems to be answering the question lol If I find out what it is i'll post on here for ya.

howzball

Reaction score
Just forced updated and was showing off the cool new Gallery to the girlfriend and she said hers has been looking like that for 3 days now! wtf!

She told me something happened the other night and it forced a reboot, so she got the update the easy way. Oh well, she could have told me. :)

synthetek

Reaction score
I did the forced update as described in this thread and everything went fine, but later I got the notification for the OTA update? I let it install and it installed successfully but I arleady had the live wallpaper and everything from the forced update befpre I got the OTA? Has anyone else had this happen?

OP
Getaphixx

Getaphixx

Reaction score
I did the forced update as described in this thread and everything went fine, but later I got the notification for the OTA update? I let it install and it installed successfully but I arleady had the live wallpaper and everything from the forced update befpre I got the OTA? Has anyone else had this happen?

Very odd indeed.. It shouldn't of updated.. lol

In "settings," And under "about phone" what does it say for your firmware version?