anyone ever get into it with verizon abt rooted phones or stuck with the 500$ fee

93fuelslut

Reaction score
i saw on some droid forum news section that verizon can root check any ics device even if u unroot..idk if they posted if verizon can check if its been "sbf" back either......do u know if verizon can?.

has anyone been slammed with a rooted 500$ fee?
anyone ever sent in a ics device that was rooted and slipped away?

whats ur thoughts on this xda rooted warranty video?.Your Warranty is Not Void – XDA TV – xda-developers
i dont see how this would work against verizon at all anyways?

just courous if verizon techs even have time to check all these phones

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
1) Yes, they can check on ICS devices. Some phones such as Samsung devices can have said data wiped relatively easily; with other phones it's more difficult.

2) Yes, your warranty from the manufacturer is still valid, but I'm pretty sure VZ can choose not to honor their warranty, meaning you'd have to deal with the manufacturer yourself.

OP
93fuelslut

93fuelslut

Reaction score
How do u deal with the manufacturer? cause im running a rom, but after i dropped my phone, it somtimes locks up and have to hold the volume keys and the power button to restart.....but theres no physical damage what so ever

Quick

Reaction score
[I am not a lawyer and what follows is just speculation on my part]

I think, technically, they cannot void your warranty simply because you rooted the phone (Magnuson-Moss warranty act of 1975).
They can void the warranty coverage if some change or modification you did may have contributed to the failure.
The software/firmware on smart phones does control most everything. You can brick your phone, overheat the phone, kill your processor etc., etc., all with the software you have access to with root.
Something like a physical button failing due to a manufacturer defect would be a pretty clear case where they could not void the warranty coverage because you rooted.
In your case you also dropped the phone. If the cause is physical damage internally there is a good chance they could tell that it was caused by impact/being dropped. Not covered unless you have accident coverage.
Yes, on ICS phones you simply have to boot into the recovery screen to see if it's ever been rooted and if it's rooted now or not.

I would think is a good chance you just have software problems that coincidentally started after you dropped it. Try re-flashing the ROM? different ROM? Stock load?

I would like to hear some actual warranty experiences also.

OP
93fuelslut

93fuelslut

Reaction score
thanks for the detailed response..i will however call VZ abt the whole insurance regulations stuff..
if somebody rooted there ics devise, and then sbf it, would vz still see it use to be rooted? or would vz still void a sbf phone?

but yea, my phone did drop 4ft straight to concrete twice..
and now when it freezes up if im playing music, itl skip like a scratched cd and then the screen will go black and not even the power button will do anything

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
[I am not a lawyer and what follows is just speculation on my part]

I think, technically, they cannot void your warranty simply because you rooted the phone (Magnuson-Moss warranty act of 1975).
They can void the warranty coverage if some change or modification you did may have contributed to the failure.
The software/firmware on smart phones does control most everything. You can brick your phone, overheat the phone, kill your processor etc., etc., all with the software you have access to with root.
Something like a physical button failing due to a manufacturer defect would be a pretty clear case where they could not void the warranty coverage because you rooted.
In your case you also dropped the phone. If the cause is physical damage internally there is a good chance they could tell that it was caused by impact/being dropped. Not covered unless you have accident coverage.
Yes, on ICS phones you simply have to boot into the recovery screen to see if it's ever been rooted and if it's rooted now or not.

I would think is a good chance you just have software problems that coincidentally started after you dropped it. Try re-flashing the ROM? different ROM? Stock load?

I would like to hear some actual warranty experiences also.

The problem is that no one has felt it to be worthwhile to take VZ to task in court over this. We've discussed in other threads that it's no different than auto dealerships trying to void warranties because someone added an aftermarket exhaust or suspension and some completely unrelated part failed. No one has thought it worth the effort to deal with trying to prove the same point over phones yet.

Quick

Reaction score
The problem is that no one has felt it to be worthwhile to take VZ to task in court over this. We've discussed in other threads that it's no different than auto dealerships trying to void warranties because someone added an aftermarket exhaust or suspension and some completely unrelated part failed. No one has thought it worth the effort to deal with trying to prove the same point over phones yet.

Hmmm, maybe 3rd party app developers could form a trade organization.

OP
93fuelslut

93fuelslut

Reaction score
if something bad was to happen, could i call motorola directly for a warranty replacement before my 1year mark? like if theres no physical damages, but just keeps freezing..

vatothe0

Reaction score
if something bad was to happen, could i call motorola directly for a warranty replacement before my 1year mark? like if theres no physical damages, but just keeps freezing..

Yes. That is what the warranty actually provides for. Verizon helps customers by having devices to send out faster than the manufacturer well turn them around.

If you're not happy with Verizon's policy on rooted phones, just use your actual warranty.

OP
93fuelslut

93fuelslut

Reaction score
Yes. That is what the warranty actually provides for. Verizon helps customers by having devices to send out faster than the manufacturer well turn them around.

If you're not happy with Verizon's policy on rooted phones, just use your actual warranty.
thanks......do u know how to contact motorola for the warranty replacement? like a phone number or some sort

jsnweitzel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I don't think a warranty will cover physical damage, that would be insurance assuming you have it.