Any news about the glass on this thing?

TheBoyPat

Reaction score
I'm still worried about the glass on the nexus. I don't use covers and I don't use screen protectors. My Droid X has been naked since release day and it's screen is without scratch.

Any news on the type of glass the nexus will sport? Fortified means nothing to me. I need to know if it will be as scratch resistant as gorilla glass or, dare I say, more-so.

ShinyTop

Reaction score
There are videos on the web that feature somebody testing their Nexus with keys and the Nexus did not have a scratch. Sorry, do not have links available.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Key test or not, Gorilla glass is just like "retina display", it's simply a made up name that's gained public recognition. The Nexus has passed the key test, which doesn't really mean much since most keys are made from metals that don't scratch any sort of glass, fortified or not.

I wouldn't worry about it, if you are worried, then buy a Seidio screen protector, you'll never know it's on their I assure you.

The only thing you should need to worry about is sand or diamonds, which both scratch "Gorilla Glass" just as well.

Larry Mahnken

Reaction score
Key test or not, Gorilla glass is just like "retina display", it's simply a made up name that's gained public recognition. The Nexus has passed the key test, which doesn't really mean much since most keys are made from metals that don't scratch any sort of glass, fortified or not.

I wouldn't worry about it, if you are worried, then buy a Seidio screen protector, you'll never know it's on their I assure you.

The only thing you should need to worry about is sand or diamonds, which both scratch "Gorilla Glass" just as well.

So you're saying I should carry my loose diamonds in my other pocket?

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Strangely enough, some of us do have wives who wear diamonds =P They also use cell phones from time to time =x

ice456789

Reaction score
Why aren't more people liking this post? It clearly meets all the criteria for "like". If you let this kind of humor go by without "liking", the truly funny people will leave this forum in search of better pastures. I for one do not want to see this forum die just because you guys are stingy with the "like" button, on Thanksgiving no less!

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+

Naw, just put them in one of those sweet pouches with the drawstring to close it. That's what I do and it works great :crazy:

And at the OP, I would not be too concerned. Gorilla glass is just a brand name. Generic or off brand stuff works just fine in most occasions. Just one man's opinion.

pyro6128

Reaction score

Good post. People don't realize that most keys won't scratch glass. They think its all mystical gorilla glass when its really just elementary science. If only more people paid attention in school haha.

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Good post. People don't realize that most keys won't scratch glass. They think its all mystical gorilla glass when its really just elementary science. If only more people paid attention in school haha.

Gorilla glass has a high level of scratch resistance, I placed a zippo lighter on my screen and played a game of zippo vs gorilla... gorilla won.

My zippo is stainless steel, not brass.

mzjin

Reaction score

Um.. What? Gorilla Glass is a patented material and trademark from Corning, a significant product from a very old big glass & ceramics company.

I had an OG Droid which supposedly had Gorilla glass, and it had NO problems getting scratched AND cracked during the time I owned.

Lesson learned - any product I get - get a screen protector AND case if I hope to resell it again in perfect condition... even my iPhone 4 got scratched up a little.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
...Lesson learned - any product I get - get a screen protector AND case if I hope to resell it again in perfect condition... even my iPhone 4 got scratched up a little.

This part of your statement sums it all up for me and I don't even me in case of resell, just for my sake. Strong glass is a plus but I would rather spend a few bucks to protect my large investment. Just makes more sense to me and makes me more comfortable. Maybe we are just paranoid :p

mzjin

Reaction score
This part of your statement sums it all up for me and I don't even me in case of resell, just for my sake. Strong glass is a plus but I would rather spend a few bucks to protect my large investment. Just makes more sense to me and makes me more comfortable. Maybe we are just paranoid :p

In my case, I managed to break Gorilla glass without even realizing it at first (must have been my keys, stuck the phone in the wrong pocket), so my paranoia is justified lol.

The screen protector thing I've found is also really necessary these days because the manufacturers put such reflective surfaces on these displays. There's a little bit of a color and brightness sacrifice but I need (good matte) screen protectors now to comfortably use a lot of devices (especially my mirror like iPad 2).

rayr0d

Reaction score
Ive heard many dumb luck stories when it comes to phones made with scratch resistant glass.

You go stock wit ur ph

I say if you are really concerned about having ur screen exposed and more than likely scratched.. put a sp on it and call it a day ..

Sent from my DROID Pro using DroidForums