NExus glass is definitely NOT gorilla glass (smashed by phone today :((((((

angelman

Reaction score
So my OG droid was tough as anything. I dropped that thing so many times (no case, no screen protector) and nothing happened. After 2 years it was like new except for worn paint around the edges. Thumbs up to gorilla glass.
Now I got nexus a few weeks ago and today as I got out of the car the phone dropped out of my pocket perhaps 1ft onto the ground and the glass is smashed.
Please please please everyone get a case, get a screen protector, this thing is FRAGILE! I used to laugh at all the iphone owners sporting either smashed glass or thick heavy cases that hid the beautiful phone inside. Now I am not laughing. Seems kind of ludicrious that people purchase these phone often based on how they look, weight, size and then they have to cover them up with thick heavy cases to protect them. That's how it goes. I guess.
Any suggestions what I can do other than pay another $650 for a new one that I can't afford..?

mjones73

Reaction score
Look to see if you can get the glass replaced by Samsung or a 3rd party repair shop.. Should be cheaper then $650.

capt. dan

Reaction score
Dropped my original Droid from waist high and completely shattered the screen. Its all in how it lands and what it lands on. Thank goodness for insurance. Not saying that the Nexus is not delicate because I don't have one yet but the Gorilla glass did not save my DROID.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
[video=youtube;bc5JjPU4Xh0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bc5JjPU4Xh0[/video]

Seems your phone just hit the right spot. Judging from my own experience with my 4yr old newphew dropping it onto marble from about 3ft, this thing is durable to me. Sorry to hear about your phone though:frown:

smokiedabong

Reaction score
Y U people no understand? Gorilla glass is scratch resistant, not shutter proof. There are phones with Gorilla glass that stuttered in the pocket without even dropping them.

Last edited:

mightym

Reaction score
Y U people no understand? Gorilla glass is scratch resistant, not shutter proof. There are phones with Gorilla glass that stuttered in the pocket without even dropping them.

DancingNexusDancingNexus Post of the year...helllzzzz to the yeahhh, fo shizzle my nizzle. DancingNexusDancingNexus

ntrddragn

Reaction score
add a line and then find a dumb phone somewhere, downgrade that line to basic for $10/month and then put the new nexus to your existing line. 200 for new nexus + 240 for cost of dumb phone for 2 yrs = 440.. save 200..

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
The Razr has gorilla glass and I've seen 5-6 people crack theirs so far on the forums.

Gorilla glass=/shatter proof

ntrddragn

Reaction score
o yeah dont forget insurance, it seems you have a habit of dropping your phone. :) wirefly has it for 7 bucks a month no deductible. they also have the nexus for 199 i linked it here on somewhere.

sb1831

Reaction score
I believe there is a reason why we haven't seen a legit drop test with the Nexus. With the curve of the device and the overall screen size, I'd imagine it's pretty easy to shatter. And lofting your phone down your thickly padded and carpeted stairs is NOT a drop test.

OP
A

angelman

Reaction score
So now I have cracked glass what should I do while I decide/save up for a more permanent solution?
Is the glass likely to crack further? Would putting on a screen protector now help at least keep the glass from cracking more?
The phone is perfectly functional and the glass crack isnt terrible with the screen on you can hardly see it.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
A screen protector wouldn't hurt it I think. It may or may not prevent further cracking.

sb1831

Reaction score
So now I have cracked glass what should I do while I decide/save up for a more permanent solution?
Is the glass likely to crack further? Would putting on a screen protector now help at least keep the glass from cracking more?
The phone is perfectly functional and the glass crack isnt terrible with the screen on you can hardly see it.

I believe some people have had luck with some of the wet application screen protectors and hiding cracked/chipped glass

Reaction score
a member posted pics of his razr he dropped and smashed the screen over on the razr forum here. they all break. it's glass, not kryptonite.

trick is to not drop your phone :D

Briankbl

Reaction score

I twy butt i cat undoostan u. My camera shutter dusnt stutter or anythin.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk