NExus glass is definitely NOT gorilla glass (smashed by phone today :((((((

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Nexus' started by angelman, Jan 6, 2012.

1. angelman

angelman Member

Ratings:
    +1
    So my OG droid was tough as anything. I dropped that thing so many times (no case, no screen protector) and nothing happened. After 2 years it was like new except for worn paint around the edges. Thumbs up to gorilla glass.
    Now I got nexus a few weeks ago and today as I got out of the car the phone dropped out of my pocket perhaps 1ft onto the ground and the glass is smashed.
    Please please please everyone get a case, get a screen protector, this thing is FRAGILE! I used to laugh at all the iphone owners sporting either smashed glass or thick heavy cases that hid the beautiful phone inside. Now I am not laughing. Seems kind of ludicrious that people purchase these phone often based on how they look, weight, size and then they have to cover them up with thick heavy cases to protect them. That's how it goes. I guess.
    Any suggestions what I can do other than pay another $650 for a new one that I can't afford..?

2. mjones73

mjones73 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Look to see if you can get the glass replaced by Samsung or a 3rd party repair shop.. Should be cheaper then $650.

3. capt. dan

capt. dan Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Dropped my original Droid from waist high and completely shattered the screen. Its all in how it lands and what it lands on. Thank goodness for insurance. Not saying that the Nexus is not delicate because I don't have one yet but the Gorilla glass did not save my DROID.

4. dezymond

dezymond Tech Support Mod
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel

Seems your phone just hit the right spot. Judging from my own experience with my 4yr old newphew dropping it onto marble from about 3ft, this thing is durable to me. Sorry to hear about your phone though:frown:

5. smokiedabong

smokiedabong Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Y U people no understand? Gorilla glass is scratch resistant, not shutter proof. There are phones with Gorilla glass that stuttered in the pocket without even dropping them.

#5 smokiedabong, Jan 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  6. mightym

mightym Member

Ratings:
    +0
    DancingNexusDancingNexus Post of the year...helllzzzz to the yeahhh, fo shizzle my nizzle. DancingNexusDancingNexus

7. ntrddragn

ntrddragn Member

Ratings:
    +6
    add a line and then find a dumb phone somewhere, downgrade that line to basic for $10/month and then put the new nexus to your existing line. 200 for new nexus + 240 for cost of dumb phone for 2 yrs = 440.. save 200..

8. Liderc

Liderc Silver Member

Ratings:
    +45
    The Razr has gorilla glass and I've seen 5-6 people crack theirs so far on the forums.

Gorilla glass=/shatter proof

9. ntrddragn

ntrddragn Member

Ratings:
    +6
    o yeah dont forget insurance, it seems you have a habit of dropping your phone. :) wirefly has it for 7 bucks a month no deductible. they also have the nexus for 199 i linked it here on somewhere.

10. sb1831

sb1831 Member

Ratings:
    +6
    I believe there is a reason why we haven't seen a legit drop test with the Nexus. With the curve of the device and the overall screen size, I'd imagine it's pretty easy to shatter. And lofting your phone down your thickly padded and carpeted stairs is NOT a drop test.

11. angelman

angelman Member

Ratings:
    +1
    So now I have cracked glass what should I do while I decide/save up for a more permanent solution?
    Is the glass likely to crack further? Would putting on a screen protector now help at least keep the glass from cracking more?
    The phone is perfectly functional and the glass crack isnt terrible with the screen on you can hardly see it.

12. dezymond

dezymond Tech Support Mod
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel
    A screen protector wouldn't hurt it I think. It may or may not prevent further cracking.

Search tags for this page
corning gorila 3 vs shutturpruf
corning gorilla 3 vs shutterproof

galaxy nexus drop test

gorilla glass replacement for nexus
nexus 10 gorilla glass broke any fix
nexus 4 screen repair
nexus 4 screen replacement
nexus glass repair atlanta
samsung galaxy nexus glass replacement
verizon galaxy nexus replacement glass