Any news about the glass on this thing?

ice456789

Reaction score
Scratching isn't really a problem with glass or glass derivative screens, the big issue is cracking. A key pressed into the face of a phone (even gorilla glass) can break it. Also a hit from the side (such as if you drop your phone) gives you a great chance of breaking it. Gorilla Glass is just one brand, it is not the ONLY brand of fortified glass. The difference is that Corning has decided to market their brand directly to consumers while most manufacturers of fortified glass only market to the phone manufacturers. So now consumers looking for a new phone demand Gorilla Glass, because it's the only one they've heard of. Manufacturers though have plenty of options for fortified glass and Gorilla Glass may not even be the strongest one. It is very likely the most expensive though.

I would also like to make this public service announcement:

Kids, do not put your phone in the same pocket as your keys. Bad things happen.
View attachment 42882

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
This part of your statement sums it all up for me and I don't even me in case of resell, just for my sake. Strong glass is a plus but I would rather spend a few bucks to protect my large investment. Just makes more sense to me and makes me more comfortable. Maybe we are just paranoid :p

+1

It provides a bit more protection and with the screen protector I plan to get it'll significantly reduce fingerprints. I have no problem spending an extra one-time fee of around $15 to protect my $700+ device

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I guess I'm more protective than usual - 2 years no protection on OG Droid no scratches and bought the Bionic day one, no scratches.

doublea500

Reaction score
I guess I'm more protective than usual - 2 years no protection on OG Droid no scratches and bought the Bionic day one, no scratches.

same here. i bought cases like crazy for my og. terrible "case" phone. they all break and never fit! i only have 1 small dent on my phone, 1 small scratch. ive been caseless for the past month (cuz my seido case broke and im not wasting $ on a new one) and yesterday i took off my screen protector so i can enjoy my final days of my droid to its full extent.

for the gnexus, im going to put a case on it and a screen protector. I trust the glass, but even gorilla glass scratches.

BL4Z3D247

Reaction score
Getting a case and screen protector as well, hopefully Otterbox will be making a case as that's the one I want.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Getting a case and screen protector as well, hopefully Otterbox will be making a case as that's the one I want.

Yeah me too. I am all about Otterbox commuter cases. I know they tweeted that it would be supported once it is out but I can not find the article I saw it on. I was going to look through their twitter feed but there are a lot of tweets and I lost interest lol.

BL4Z3D247

Reaction score
Yeah me too. I am all about Otterbox commuter cases. I know they tweeted that it would be supported once it is out but I can not find the article I saw it on. I was going to look through their twitter feed but there are a lot of tweets and I lost interest lol.

I know, I saw that tweet too. First things first though, need a G-Nex to put it on.

Sent from my DROID using DroidForums

c.r.ayala

Reaction score
wish they made a lifeproof case for this nexus! that would be amazing! waterproof, shock proof, dust proof...everything an active person would ever need! lol...this is the only thing iphones have that android doesnt that i envy :/ hate iphones...love the lifeproof cases!

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
wish they made a lifeproof case for this nexus! that would be amazing! waterproof, shock proof, dust proof...everything an active person would ever need! lol...this is the only thing iphones have that android doesnt that i envy :/ hate iphones...love the lifeproof cases!

ziploc bag, not shock proof but meets the rest of the requirements :)

BL4Z3D247

Reaction score
I had my Bionic in a zip-lock bag for a couple days while I waited for my Otterbox. I'm a carpenter so I was trying to keep it from getting saw dust and junk in it. My OG has dust galore under the screen, too much blowing out the earpiece rather than using a vacuum. Boy did I learn my lesson.