Android conquering Smartphone Market

Vitticeps

Reaction score
I dont care if it takes 20 Droid phones to knock Apple down a few notches. So be it. I did have a question: who was the first phone to use capacitive screens? if it was Apple, well...we do owe them thanks for that....

Apple was the first to market with a capacitive touch phone but they certainly did not invent capacitive touch technology as some like to credit them with.

Thoraldus

Reaction score
I dont care if it takes 20 Droid phones to knock Apple down a few notches. So be it. I did have a question: who was the first phone to use capacitive screens? if it was Apple, well...we do owe them thanks for that....

Apple was the first to market with a capacitive touch phone but they certainly did not invent capacitive touch technology as some like to credit them with.

In 1971, the first capacitive "touch sensor" was developed by Doctor Sam Hurst (founder of Elographics) while he was an instructor at the University of Kentucky. This sensor called the "Elograph" was patented by The University of Kentucky Research Foundation

Rollingbones

Reaction score
Another spin on this is the strong rumors about Vizzy picking up on the iPhone when their 4G version comes out this summer. Imagines the head to head sales comparison btween Android and Apple!!! Let the games begin.
:lifting: :icon_ owned:

As a side note, I love showing iPhone owners what Droid can do. The most common response is "That's very nice, but I'm sticking with iPhone... Go figure!!!
:icon_ laughup:

metsnfins

Reaction score
stupid question

rim=blackberry? so blackberry is number 1, droid number 2?

GuiltyBreak

Reaction score
stupid question

and Moto Droids have issues hooking up with MS Exchange server too. So corporate enterprises cant deploy Droids because of this. At least my work cant do it..Droids dont play nice. Where as Blackberries have a BES Server to control the devices..:icon_evil:

Darkseider

Reaction score
Another spin on this is the strong rumors about Vizzy picking up on the iPhone when their 4G version comes out this summer. Imagines the head to head sales comparison btween Android and Apple!!! Let the games begin.
:lifting: :icon_ owned:

As a side note, I love showing iPhone owners what Droid can do. The most common response is "That's very nice, but I'm sticking with iPhone... Go figure!!!
:icon_ laughup:

Generally speaking people with iPhones don't care what anything else does. They are the "George Jetson's" of the smartphone world. One button to push over and over again. I am almost happy that they stay with the iPhone simply because if they were to get an Android device they would be confused. Confusion leads to anger... anger leads to hate and hate leads to broken phones. We don't want that on our conscience. :)

Rollingbones

Reaction score
I'm totally stoked that there are choices. That way most everyone's needs get met. I agree on what you're saying about iPhone owners. They tend to be dialed in on one thing and no matter what you say, that's what works for them and in kind, that is what they should have. A couple of them even apologized for theur decisiojn. All I told them was they have the right phone if they're happy. Comparing iPhone to Android is truely apples and oranges. The iPhone is a great phone (this is where I chuckle) and it has its customers. If Verizon gets the 4G version, they're gonna own the lion's share of the cell phone market. Of course they may be a few fist fights or screaming matches in the Verizon stores during normal business hours, but that'll all get cleared up in time.... I'm sure!!!!

Darkseider

Reaction score
I'm totally stoked that there are choices. That way most everyone's needs get met. I agree on what you're saying about iPhone owners. They tend to be dialed in on one thing and no matter what you say, that's what works for them and in kind, that is what they should have. A couple of them even apologized for theur decisiojn. All I told them was they have the right phone if they're happy. Comparing iPhone to Android is truely apples and oranges. The iPhone is a great phone (this is where I chuckle) and it has its customers. If Verizon gets the 4G version, they're gonna own the lion's share of the cell phone market. Of course they may be a few fist fights or screaming matches in the Verizon stores during normal business hours, but that'll all get cleared up in time.... I'm sure!!!!

I don't see a 4G version of the iPhone on Verizon really skewing numbers too much simply because there will be 4G Droids everywhere. Not to mention that the majority of those that buy a 4G iPhone on VZW will be coming from AT&T simply due to service. So yes they will sell tons of phones but the big majority of these phones will be to existing iPhone customers/owners.

Something else to think about is IF VZW does get a 4G iPhone in 2012 what are Android handsets going to be like? Using the EVO 4G as an example. It is June 2010 when it releases. Two years later and VZW might get a 4G iPhone? What will the 4G Android be like on the VZW network seeing that the EVO 4G is a reality NOW?

Rollingbones

Reaction score
One thing to bear in mind is that there are a lot of people out there who have stayed away from iPhine because of its sole carrier. I still see Verizon taking something of a leap in sales when and if this happens.

VirtualGeek

Reaction score
stupid question

and Moto Droids have issues hooking up with MS Exchange server too. So corporate enterprises cant deploy Droids because of this. At least my work cant do it..Droids dont play nice. Where as Blackberries have a BES Server to control the devices..:icon_evil:

Weird that you can't sync your Droid with Exchange, whats the exact problem? A bunch of guys where i work have Droids and sync without a problem.

BES server breaks all the freakin' time. I'm quite often troubleshooting BB problems with our clients. Trouble with a third party implementation such as this is when MS releases a windows update it sometimes has an effect on other software. MS isnt going to adapt its updates to ensure BES doesn't break - That's RIM's job. Once a phone syncs with Exchange natively it mostly continues to work flawlessly.

Vitticeps

Reaction score
Anyone read Apple's response to this report?

"This is a very limited report on 150,000 US consumers responding to an online survey and does not account for the more than 85 million iPhone and iPod touch customers worldwide. IDC figures show that iPhone has 16.1 percent of the smartphone market and growing, far outselling Android on a worldwide basis. We had a record quarter with iPhone sales growing by 131 percent and with our new iPhone OS 4.0 software coming this summer, we see no signs of the competition catching up anytime soon."

Nice spin attempt huh. Including the ipod in a smartphone conversation? Touting international sales when the report is domestic? And they had a record quarter... that was the same quarter that they got pwned by android.

Of course who'd expect less from one of the most arrogant corporations around.

Vitticeps

Reaction score
oh, and I also like how they equate units sold to customer/users. Just because they sold 85 million units of iphods doesn't mean they have 85 million users. Just means that there's 50 million or so iphods collecting dust in a drawer since their owner upgraded again to the summer flavor that year.

N4UPD

Reaction score
I just switched from AT&T to Verizon and bought me and the wife a Moto Droid. We both love the droid.I had an iphone and she had a Blackberry. My droid to me is like a jailbroken iphone which I had until it crashed and had to restore to latest firmware and could not re jb.I can uprade my droid with no worries of losing abilities to do tings i did b4.Even if Verizon gets an iphone I will stay with android so I won't have to worry what Steve Jobs blocks or rejects next.

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
In my opinion there is an easy way to tell when Android is truly on top.

When I walk into BB or any retailer I see 3 Driod accessories and 300 for iPhone. When that balances, you will know Android is catching up