1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Android conquering Smartphone Market

Discussion in 'Android News' started by danDroid, May 10, 2010.

1. danDroid

danDroid Administrator Staff Member

[​IMG]

Android smartphones continue to work their way to the top of sales charts, this time passing the Apple iPhone and claiming the number 2 position. According to the NPD Group, Apple's OS accounts for 21 percent, Android's OS account for 28 percent, and RIM's OS is still on top with 36 percent of the market share. The growth of Android is much attributed to Verizon and the recent promotions of the Motorola Droid and the HTC Eris.

“As in the past, carrier distribution and promotion have played a crucial role in determining smartphone market share,” said Ross Rubin, executive director of industry analysis for NPD. “In order to compete with the iPhone, Verizon Wireless has expanded its buy-one-get-one offer beyond RIM devices to now include all of their smartphones.”

Source: Android Shakes Up U.S. Smartphone Market | Business Wire
  2. wuyanks

wuyanks DF News Team Premium Member

7% higher than Iphone... i'm lovin' it!
  3. RinTinTigger

RinTinTigger Premium Member Premium Member

Android simply is the futures, especially after Steve showed, what iphoneOS 4 will look like .... you gotte love NO-iAds ^^
  4. Darkseider

Darkseider New Member

Let's see how Q2 fares with the Incredible in the mix. Q3 is also going to be interesting with the new rumored Moto coming to Verizon as well as the EVO 4G on Sprint.
  5. danDroid

danDroid Administrator Staff Member

I'm going to call in now, by the end of the year we are going to see Android on top!
  6. wuyanks

wuyanks DF News Team Premium Member

above blackberry? that's a tall order...

we may need to see some specialized business-oriented android smartphones for that to happen...
  7. DessoThumbs

DessoThumbs Member

Rock On Android

dancedroid[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]dancedroid
  8. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass Well-Known Member

RIM is losing market-share extremely fast, they won't be relevant much longer the way things are going for android.
  9. VirtualGeek

VirtualGeek New Member

Yeah, it's definitely headed that way but I don't think it will be there by the end of the year. Maybe by mid 2011 - that's my call.

It's all good news though. Definitely warrants some: :icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana:
  10. cpjr

cpjr New Member

This really is an unfair comparison, Apple only puts their OS on 1 phone, there own iphone.

Android OS is on a handful of devices.

Same as comparing Windows OS to OSX. Everybody and their brother builds computers that are going to run Windows, as Apple using their OS only on their own.

You can call this Apples fault if you like, but its still not a good comparison either way.
  11. Darkseider

Darkseider New Member

Actually it is a very valid comparison. Apple chose to keep full control of both the hardware and software of its' iPhone. By doing this they are able to provide the same experience to everyone. The flipside is that it is only available on ONE device and on ONE carrier in the United States. Google on the other hand provided an operating system to multiple vendors that can be tailor made to the handset it is provided on. With the Android market it ensures that everyone has access to the same applications even though the hardware is different.

With the upcoming release of Froyo (Android 2.2) and Froyo +1 whenever that is. Google is pretty much going to ensure that all devices regardless of form factor and feature sets will have the same user experience by doing away with the fragmentation that is currently in the market. Although said fragmentation has very little effect on Android 1.6 -> 2.x. Whereas Android 1.5 is a totally different beast and alot of the apps in the market don't play well with it.
  12. Vitticeps

Vitticeps New Member

so the only comparison should be palm vs. BB vs. iPhone? WinMo and Android can't be put in the same comparison?

I can't see why not. It's a platform comparison, not hardware.
  13. Droid_3.0

Droid_3.0 New Member

i agree its all about the platform
  14. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

Apple....pay attention.....

I was JUST getting ready to say something like this. Its Apple's own fault. The problem is finally, there is real competition to the iPhone.

All together now, all you Droid/Milestone, Eris, Incredible, Cliq, Devour, Nexus 1, G1, Hero, Galaxy, etc owners....

LOVING IT!!!!!

I dont care if it takes 20 Droid phones to knock Apple down a few notches. So be it. I did have a question: who was the first phone to use capacitive screens? if it was Apple, well...we do owe them thanks for that....
  15. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

(forgot the Milestone is not a US phone...lol)

Also, lets not forget phones running Windows Mobile had years to try to do this, and couldnt.....so I dont wanna hear ppl talking about "well they have a million phones running Android"..theres lots of phones running WinMo.
  16. Vitticeps

Vitticeps New Member

Apple was the first to market with a capacitive touch phone but they certainly did not invent capacitive touch technology as some like to credit them with.
  17. Thoraldus

Thoraldus New Member

In 1971, the first capacitive "touch sensor" was developed by Doctor Sam Hurst (founder of Elographics) while he was an instructor at the University of Kentucky. This sensor called the "Elograph" was patented by The University of Kentucky Research Foundation
  18. Rollingbones

Rollingbones New Member

Another spin on this is the strong rumors about Vizzy picking up on the iPhone when their 4G version comes out this summer. Imagines the head to head sales comparison btween Android and Apple!!! Let the games begin.
    :lifting: :icon_ owned:

As a side note, I love showing iPhone owners what Droid can do. The most common response is "That's very nice, but I'm sticking with iPhone... Go figure!!!
    :icon_ laughup:
  19. metsnfins

metsnfins New Member

stupid question

rim=blackberry? so blackberry is number 1, droid number 2?
  20. GuiltyBreak

GuiltyBreak Member

and Moto Droids have issues hooking up with MS Exchange server too. So corporate enterprises cant deploy Droids because of this. At least my work cant do it..Droids dont play nice. Where as Blackberries have a BES Server to control the devices..:icon_evil: