Android conquering Smartphone Market

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
droid-man.jpg

Android smartphones continue to work their way to the top of sales charts, this time passing the Apple iPhone and claiming the number 2 position. According to the NPD Group, Apple's OS accounts for 21 percent, Android's OS account for 28 percent, and RIM's OS is still on top with 36 percent of the market share. The growth of Android is much attributed to Verizon and the recent promotions of the Motorola Droid and the HTC Eris.

“As in the past, carrier distribution and promotion have played a crucial role in determining smartphone market share,” said Ross Rubin, executive director of industry analysis for NPD. “In order to compete with the iPhone, Verizon Wireless has expanded its buy-one-get-one offer beyond RIM devices to now include all of their smartphones.”

Source: Android Shakes Up U.S. Smartphone Market | Business Wire

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
7% higher than Iphone... i'm lovin' it!

Darkseider

Reaction score
Let's see how Q2 fares with the Incredible in the mix. Q3 is also going to be interesting with the new rumored Moto coming to Verizon as well as the EVO 4G on Sprint.

OP
danDroid

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm going to call in now, by the end of the year we are going to see Android on top!

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm going to call in now, by the end of the year we are going to see Android on top!

above blackberry? that's a tall order...

we may need to see some specialized business-oriented android smartphones for that to happen...

Hugh Jass

Reaction score

we may need to see some specialized business-oriented android smartphones for that to happen...

RIM is losing market-share extremely fast, they won't be relevant much longer the way things are going for android.

VirtualGeek

Reaction score

Yeah, it's definitely headed that way but I don't think it will be there by the end of the year. Maybe by mid 2011 - that's my call.

It's all good news though. Definitely warrants some: :icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana:

cpjr

Reaction score
This really is an unfair comparison, Apple only puts their OS on 1 phone, there own iphone.

Android OS is on a handful of devices.

Same as comparing Windows OS to OSX. Everybody and their brother builds computers that are going to run Windows, as Apple using their OS only on their own.

You can call this Apples fault if you like, but its still not a good comparison either way.

Darkseider

Reaction score
This really is an unfair comparison, Apple only puts their OS on 1 phone, there own iphone.

Same as comparing Windows OS to OSX. Everybody and their brother builds computers that are going to run Windows, as Apple using their OS only on their own.

You can call this Apples fault if you like, but its still not a good comparison either way.

Actually it is a very valid comparison. Apple chose to keep full control of both the hardware and software of its' iPhone. By doing this they are able to provide the same experience to everyone. The flipside is that it is only available on ONE device and on ONE carrier in the United States. Google on the other hand provided an operating system to multiple vendors that can be tailor made to the handset it is provided on. With the Android market it ensures that everyone has access to the same applications even though the hardware is different.

With the upcoming release of Froyo (Android 2.2) and Froyo +1 whenever that is. Google is pretty much going to ensure that all devices regardless of form factor and feature sets will have the same user experience by doing away with the fragmentation that is currently in the market. Although said fragmentation has very little effect on Android 1.6 -> 2.x. Whereas Android 1.5 is a totally different beast and alot of the apps in the market don't play well with it.

Vitticeps

Reaction score
so the only comparison should be palm vs. BB vs. iPhone? WinMo and Android can't be put in the same comparison?

I can't see why not. It's a platform comparison, not hardware.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score

Actually it is a very valid comparison. Apple chose to keep full control of both the hardware and software of its' iPhone. By doing this they are able to provide the same experience to everyone. The flipside is that it is only available on ONE device and on ONE carrier in the United States. Google on the other hand provided an operating system to multiple vendors that can be tailor made to the handset it is provided on. With the Android market it ensures that everyone has access to the same applications even though the hardware is different.

With the upcoming release of Froyo (Android 2.2) and Froyo +1 whenever that is. Google is pretty much going to ensure that all devices regardless of form factor and feature sets will have the same user experience by doing away with the fragmentation that is currently in the market. Although said fragmentation has very little effect on Android 1.6 -> 2.x. Whereas Android 1.5 is a totally different beast and alot of the apps in the market don't play well with it.

Apple....pay attention.....

I was JUST getting ready to say something like this. Its Apple's own fault. The problem is finally, there is real competition to the iPhone.

All together now, all you Droid/Milestone, Eris, Incredible, Cliq, Devour, Nexus 1, G1, Hero, Galaxy, etc owners....

LOVING IT!!!!!

I dont care if it takes 20 Droid phones to knock Apple down a few notches. So be it. I did have a question: who was the first phone to use capacitive screens? if it was Apple, well...we do owe them thanks for that....

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
(forgot the Milestone is not a US phone...lol)

Also, lets not forget phones running Windows Mobile had years to try to do this, and couldnt.....so I dont wanna hear ppl talking about "well they have a million phones running Android"..theres lots of phones running WinMo.