Has Apple Lost It's Cool

Discussion in 'Android News' started by hookbill, May 21, 2010.

1. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

London, England (CNN) -- Did Google just turn the tables on Apple?

Having entered the mobile software market late with its Android offering, Google's initial efforts were a pale imitation of the iPhone OS, a clunky user experience on sub-par handsets. Fast forward to 2010. Suddenly, Google Android is winning over the hearts and minds of technologists and signing up 100,000 converts a day.

This begs the question: Is the iPhone losing its sheen?

Android edges ahead

The changing of the guard was signaled earlier this month: Stats released by market research firm NPD showed that Android phones had outsold iPhones in the first quarter of 2010. Google's operating system accounted for 28 percent of U.S. smartphone sales, versus 21 percent for the iPhone OS. RIM retained the lead, however: BlackBerry phones captured 36 percent of the market.

What turned the tide? NPD attributes the change to the success of the Motorola Droid and Droid Eris. Finally, Android is being coupled with appealing handsets, driving mainstream adoption.

Globally, the iPhone retains its lead, however: Apple commands 46 percent of the market, versus Android's 25 percent.

Check out the entire article here: CNN
    Pete Cashmore is founder and CEO of Mashable, a popular blog about social media. He writes a weekly column about social networking and technology for CNN.com.

armeddroid New Member

i read this earlier...great read.. and nice to see that Android is being recognized as on top contender for all OS's
  3. justin82

justin82 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

good find hookbill!!
  4. hookbill

I'll give credit where it's due. My wife found it.:)
  5. cereal killer

cereal killer DF Administrator Staff Member

iPhone is 1 device on one network.

RIM is at the top because they have 16,000 phones spread across multiple networks.

There still has yet to be a SINGLE Android device to knock the iPhone off it's throne.

Thats what I want to see : )

This is quite an accomplishment: "Globally, the iPhone retains its lead, however: Apple commands 46 percent of the market, versus Android's 25 percent."
  6. TekHawk

TekHawk New Member

To me if all the Android phones are winning as a collective it is a victory because choice is the embodiment of the Android mission choice and freedom

I would not like to see a single phone take to much of the market share for Android though it would almost need to happen to knock the Apple fan boys off their ours is still better boxs
  7. Darkseider

Darkseider New Member

If ya look REALLY close I found it. I commented in it HOURS ago. :)
  8. hookbill

Well, I do look pretty close during the day. Where'd you post it?
  9. Darkseider

Darkseider New Member

I didn't I left a comment in the article itself. :)
  10. hookbill

Oh, now I don't feel bad. :)
  11. Moondonkey

Moondonkey New Member

Wait, Apple had "cool"?
  12. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass Well-Known Member

And who will be this one phone to rule them all?

The Droid 2.

[​IMG]
  13. Beardface

Beardface Member

Android is going to soon dominate the market and will do so without one phone that stands out way above the rest. However, you could say the Droid is that phone right now, it just won't happen. With the Android system, there is a phone and build to cater to your individual needs. With Apple, you buy the device and conform to what it allows. Sure, there are a lot of apps for the Apple Store (and there truly are, and the quality is much better) but the ability to customize the Android system to have it meet your needs will blow the doors off this competition.

This time 1 year ago, nobody knew what the Android platform was, and now its outselling the iPhone, a good system that has had a 2 year head start on the market. The fact that Apple is actually losing this battle this early in the game speaks volumes to just how superior the Android platform is. Developers are starting to take notice as well.

Unless Apple opens up its interface and stops censoring its Market, its only a matter of time before they become an also-ran in the phone industry. The only reason they are as dominant as they have been is that they were the only true legitimate smartphone option out there, and that is no longer the case and the customers are starting to take notice.
  14. socal droid

socal droid New Member

Thanks for sharing this .... Good read and makes some great points. It's getting to the point where Apple needs to gain access to the Verizon network in order to maintain their edge.

I'm sure most of us here remember that Apple went to Verizon first and after Verizon rejected the iPhone offer, they went to at&t. Apple wanted so much control and most of the revenue that the customers pay in the broadband charges. Verizon stuck to their guns that the iPhone would be treated the same as any other phone. Verizon would help augment the initial cost of the phone and a fair amount of advertising. At&t gave in and because they have to pay so much money to Apple month after month, they found it difficult to continue growth of their network to keep up with the demand. On the other hand, Verizon has invested billions in their network over the same period of time and kept pace nicely! (5 times the 3G network)

With all this said, will Apple insist on the same deal they currently have with at&t or give into Verizon's demands that they are treated the same as any other phone vendor??
  15. hookbill

Verizon doesn't need the iPhone. I don't think you will ever see the iPhone on Verizon.
  16. diverbelow

diverbelow New Member

Apple's response to android taking 2nd place and iphone in 3rd in the US. Here is the quote: “This is a very limited report on 150,000 US consumers responding to an online survey and does not account for the more than 85 million iPhone and iPod touch customers worldwide. IDC figures show that iPhone has 16.1 percent of the smartphone market and growing, far outselling Android on a worldwide basis.

We had a record quarter with iPhone sales growing by 131 percent and with our new iPhone OS 4.0 software coming this summer, we see no signs of the competition catching up anytime soon.”

So Apple had to include the ipod touch and worldwide number to scew the numbers to show that they are outselling android even though NPD was showing numbers only in the US and only smartphones not MP3 players. Way to go Apple, NOT!
  17. nerdbox08

nerdbox08 New Member

No matter what anyone says, I have to agree with you on this one. Now that Verizon holds a big chunk of those android phones, we will never see iPhone on Verizon.

That isn't a reason to see it.
  18. EmmVeePee

EmmVeePee New Member

19. EmmVeePee

EmmVeePee New Member

Why doesn't this forum let you edit your posts? So now I'm re-posting just to add a single character.

Why?
  20. korp

korp New Member

I think the fact that android allows so many companies to make an android device helps out. One company makes an iPhone which allows you one device with one setup. We can get an htc sense phone, a plain vanilla android phone and many others ... the possibilities are endless. If android did the same thing then they too would become what iPhones have become and disappoint some users who grow bored.
Search tags for this page

cnn專題﹕has apple lost its cool?