Has Apple Lost It's Cool

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
android_eats_apple.jpg

London, England (CNN) -- Did Google just turn the tables on Apple?

Having entered the mobile software market late with its Android offering, Google's initial efforts were a pale imitation of the iPhone OS, a clunky user experience on sub-par handsets. Fast forward to 2010. Suddenly, Google Android is winning over the hearts and minds of technologists and signing up 100,000 converts a day.

This begs the question: Is the iPhone losing its sheen?

Android edges ahead

The changing of the guard was signaled earlier this month: Stats released by market research firm NPD showed that Android phones had outsold iPhones in the first quarter of 2010. Google's operating system accounted for 28 percent of U.S. smartphone sales, versus 21 percent for the iPhone OS. RIM retained the lead, however: BlackBerry phones captured 36 percent of the market.

What turned the tide? NPD attributes the change to the success of the Motorola Droid and Droid Eris. Finally, Android is being coupled with appealing handsets, driving mainstream adoption.

Globally, the iPhone retains its lead, however: Apple commands 46 percent of the market, versus Android's 25 percent.

Check out the entire article here: CNN
Pete Cashmore is founder and CEO of Mashable, a popular blog about social media. He writes a weekly column about social networking and technology for CNN.com.

armeddroid

Reaction score
i read this earlier...great read.. and nice to see that Android is being recognized as on top contender for all OS's

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
good find hookbill!!

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
iPhone is 1 device on one network.

RIM is at the top because they have 16,000 phones spread across multiple networks.

There still has yet to be a SINGLE Android device to knock the iPhone off it's throne.

Thats what I want to see : )

This is quite an accomplishment: "Globally, the iPhone retains its lead, however: Apple commands 46 percent of the market, versus Android's 25 percent."

TekHawk

Reaction score
iPhone is 1 device on one network.

RIM is at the top because they have 16,000 phones spread across multiple networks.

There still has yet to be a SINGLE Android device to knock the iPhone off it's throne.

Thats what I want to see : )

This is quite an accomplishment: "Globally, the iPhone retains its lead, however: Apple commands 46 percent of the market, versus Android's 25 percent."

To me if all the Android phones are winning as a collective it is a victory because choice is the embodiment of the Android mission choice and freedom

I would not like to see a single phone take to much of the market share for Android though it would almost need to happen to knock the Apple fan boys off their ours is still better boxs

Beardface

Reaction score
I would not like to see a single phone take to much of the market share for Android though it would almost need to happen to knock the Apple fan boys off their ours is still better boxs

Android is going to soon dominate the market and will do so without one phone that stands out way above the rest. However, you could say the Droid is that phone right now, it just won't happen. With the Android system, there is a phone and build to cater to your individual needs. With Apple, you buy the device and conform to what it allows. Sure, there are a lot of apps for the Apple Store (and there truly are, and the quality is much better) but the ability to customize the Android system to have it meet your needs will blow the doors off this competition.

This time 1 year ago, nobody knew what the Android platform was, and now its outselling the iPhone, a good system that has had a 2 year head start on the market. The fact that Apple is actually losing this battle this early in the game speaks volumes to just how superior the Android platform is. Developers are starting to take notice as well.

Unless Apple opens up its interface and stops censoring its Market, its only a matter of time before they become an also-ran in the phone industry. The only reason they are as dominant as they have been is that they were the only true legitimate smartphone option out there, and that is no longer the case and the customers are starting to take notice.

socal droid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung S21+
Thanks for sharing this .... Good read and makes some great points. It's getting to the point where Apple needs to gain access to the Verizon network in order to maintain their edge.

I'm sure most of us here remember that Apple went to Verizon first and after Verizon rejected the iPhone offer, they went to at&t. Apple wanted so much control and most of the revenue that the customers pay in the broadband charges. Verizon stuck to their guns that the iPhone would be treated the same as any other phone. Verizon would help augment the initial cost of the phone and a fair amount of advertising. At&t gave in and because they have to pay so much money to Apple month after month, they found it difficult to continue growth of their network to keep up with the demand. On the other hand, Verizon has invested billions in their network over the same period of time and kept pace nicely! (5 times the 3G network)

With all this said, will Apple insist on the same deal they currently have with at&t or give into Verizon's demands that they are treated the same as any other phone vendor??

OP
hookbill

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Verizon doesn't need the iPhone. I don't think you will ever see the iPhone on Verizon.