[Updated] Android Officially Steals Market-share Place from iPhone in the US

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Jan 6, 2011.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

It's official now guys. (At least from one marketing company's perspective) As of Novermber of last year, our beloved 'Andy' has now unseated the iPhone in U.S. smartphones! According to the above report from market research firm comScore, Google's Android based smartphones achieved a U.S. smartphone marketshare penetration of 26 percent, while Apple is just behind with 25 percent. RIM still holds the number one crown in the U.S. with 33.5 percent; although, I'm sure with how quickly Google is racing ahead and outstripping both Apple and RIM, the Android will wear the crown soon enough!

[Updated] Of course, it's important to point out that this report is in somewhat of a contrast to the Nielsen report we shared with you, here, previously. According to Nielsen ratings, iPhone is still slightly ahead, with Android in 2nd, and RIM falling a distant third. I wish these 'marketing' companies would get together and average out their data. :p

Source: comScore
    by dgstorm
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  2. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

Nielsen says otherwise...no chance rim has 33%

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  3. baditup

baditup New Member

well, having dealt with Nielsen, I can safely say that Nielsen and all of its measurements are garbage, so I'd believe this over them any day!
  4. jbdow

jbdow New Member

go to any store and look around. you don't need a weatherman...
  5. johnomaz

johnomaz Well-Known Member

Well, when you are the first product of its kind and a long time lead, you tend to sell a lot of units. But when something better comes along, the market share changes. And when you don't change your product to reflect the times, you lose a lot of it.
  6. Big Ry

Big Ry New Member

The atrix going to at&t might finally bring at&t's portion of android devices market share onto the map. My best friend works for at&t as a salesman/manager. He's been there like 4-5 years, and the only thing anyone ever comes in for is the iphone. I swear, its insane.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk