Has Apple Lost It's Cool

MiXoLoGiSt

Reaction score
Umm for all of you who want to see a SINGLE Android device beat out the iPhone, The Incredible has beat it in quality wise, But you will never see a single Android device beat out iPhone sales because they release Android devices way too often for a single device to come close to catching iPhone. iPhone also has a HUGE head start on sales.

King_Bean

Reaction score
No. He is getting beat up by one guy. He just has alot of different outfits.
I am talking about a SINGLE Android Device going mano a mano with the iPhone. : )

There are plenty of Android devices that can go "mano a mano" (in terms of features) with the iPhone (Droid, N1, Incredible) and many others coming down the pipeline. It's just that the sales are spread across many devices and carriers.

There will never be one phone that matches the sales of the iPhone. It just wont happen. For example, the Evo is obviously superior to the iPhone. But even as good as the Evo is, most people are not going to go through the trouble of ETF's and switching carriers when they can just stay with their current carrier and wait for an equally awesome Android device to come out.

If I'm with Verizon (which I am) why would I break my contract to get the Evo when I can just use one of the awesome Android devices that Verizon has (like the Droid) and just wait until I'm eligible for an upgrade (by which point, there will be Verizon Android phones that are just as awesome as the Evo).

So, to say you want to see one Android phone with sales numbers as high as the iPhone's is just not very realistic. Now, if the Evo were the ONLY Android device available and Sprint was the ONLY carrier with it, THEN you might see it posting iPhone-like sales numbers.

dos

Reaction score
With with competition between Apple, Google, Palm, Blackberry and everyone else out there we all(consumers) win. I will give the iPhone credit, when it came out, it knocked the cell phone industry on its ass. Now the market has caught up, even surpassed it. These are good times my friends.

Androyd

Reaction score
Is it not time to make the age-old comparison of Mac vs. PC?
No, a single PC will not outsell all MACs, but the collective of PCs got computers into everyone's homes. Though a single Android platform will not outsell the iPhone (IMHO), Android devices in general will takeover the market.
Apple created the (non-business) smart-phone market, I'll grant them that. Google has released an open operating system and common platform that will make Android the (PC-esque) default operating system. Google's demonstrated the ability to cross-platform and become the world's dominent search engine. The idea of all cell phone manufacturers using a Google interface allows the carriers to concentrate on better hardware and networks. The carriers will have to concentrate on providing better SERVICE, and developers have free reign to develop cross_platform apps to a growing market

keiichi25

Reaction score
To be honest, I have to agree... There is no way Android will beat the iPhone on the level of 'any one single' device. With HTC, Motorola, and Google pushing out their variations of the Android OS, and with Notion Ink being one of the possible top contenders to challenge the iPad sometime this year which will be using the Android OS and actually taking the tablet concept that iPad is 'revolutionizing' (but not, since the TabletPC has been out for years) one step further with their plans to make the tablet go into 'ink' mode, IE: go to monochrome, no back lighting, be USED IN THE SUNLIGHT like some of the e-readers out there... The Notion Ink will probably be one of the few devices running Android that will probably out do the iPad.

Also, for others... Blackberry was the first to encourage mobile data use, but stagnated, just like Palm did, with resting on its laurels. Palm was considered the better PDA, even with the nice colorfulness of the PocketPC MS tried to put out, but it didn't push hard enough into being mobile PDA, and even its syncing ability wirelessly was rather poor.

Blackberry was better at getting users to do more, especially with the syncing with Exchange and Outlook, iPhone followed by finally incorporating it. But what made iPhone more popular than the Blackberry was simply the browser on the iPhone was BETTER. The music playback was better, and Blackberry only added it as an after thought once iPhone pushed into the corporate market with its Exchange linking ability that didn't require a dedicated server to push mail to the devices for things such as Calendar and contacts from Exchange. Plus the browser and even getting apps for the Blackberry was terrible.

Droid still suffers a little on the timely pushing in comparison to the Blackberry or the iPhone (From my own personal experience in having to nudge my Droid to contact servers for up-to-dateness), but the Android OS has one foot up over the iPhone, diversity. The iPhone Market is literally stagnant. Your choices is basically same phone with memory flavors, but nothing dramatic about design or personalization.

The Droid OS, even with many of its current flaws, is much more likable than Blackberry, iPhone or even the Windows Mobile or the diehard Palm holdouts because we can make our phone be so much more than what any of those three types can be and also have different form factors that we aren't all repainted clones.

Now, while standardization means simplifying the necessities, it is pretty much like Demolition Man where every restaurant is Taco Bell, and all the cars are the same, just different colors. I don't know about you, but sometimes, having a little diversity is better than being a spray painted sheep.

AsianBob

Reaction score
Uh, boys... Apple is selling iPads as fast as the slave labor in China can churn them out. And when the fourth generation iPhone is introduced, it will do so as well. Android devices are important players but the notion that the Apple platform is in decline is simply silly.

I don't think anyone here is saying Apple's in decline. Just that Android's rate of adoption is faster than Apple's. I believe we'll start seeing the exact same trend when Android-powered tablets are released.

On that note, could you imagine the awesome if Google extended the cloud-to-device function to work between tablets and phones?

Darkseider

Reaction score
Umm for all of you who want to see a SINGLE Android device beat out the iPhone, The Incredible has beat it in quality wise, But you will never see a single Android device beat out iPhone sales because they release Android devices way too often for a single device to come close to catching iPhone. iPhone also has a HUGE head start on sales.

Personally I think Apple is in somewhat of a decline and will continue a slow decline for some time. Consumers, those with half a brain, research their purchase prior to making it. With that in mind anyone other than the cult of Apple will look into the alternatives out there. This is one of the reason Android has grown so quickly and will continue to do so. Especially now with Froyo out and Android phones being able to provide the "The FULL web" as opposed to the web as Steve dictates. This is something that a lot of people will now consider and more than likely make the switch to a device that can play Flash movies, games, etc... as opposed to being funneled to a few sites that support HTML5.

Not only this but I believe that now that Flash and AIR are a part of the Android family software developers will begin to flock to Android in droves. They can now develop in an environment of their choice and be able to publish the application across multiple platforms. Whereas with Apple they are removing that option. It's just a matter of time and by the end of this year I predict that Android will surpass the iPhone in worldwide share. Throughout 2011 it will begin to catch up to Apple's overall iPhone OS install base with the introduction of Android powered tablets and possibly Android powered PMP similar to that of the iPod touch.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Uh, boys... Apple is selling iPads as fast as the slave labor in China can churn them out. And when the fourth generation iPhone is introduced, it will do so as well. Android devices are important players but the notion that the Apple platform is in decline is simply silly.

I don't think anyone here is saying Apple's in decline. Just that Android's rate of adoption is faster than Apple's. I believe we'll start seeing the exact same trend when Android-powered tablets are released.

On that note, could you imagine the awesome if Google extended the cloud-to-device function to work between tablets and phones?

The "rate of adoption" of iPhones is for a device that is nearing a major and widely publicized upgrade. When the 4gen iPhone goes on sale, there will lines around the block at virtually every Apple and AT&T store in the country.

I have no doubt that some Android platformed tablets will sell. I will be very surprised if they manage to carve out more than a minority slice of the market Apple has (re)invented.

Furthermore, in what seems like an odd strategy, Google has imposed all sorts of barriers for tablet manufacturers in taking advantage of the thousands of apps available on the Market.

The bottom line is that Apple adopted a brilliant design and marketing strategy that no one else can match. They had a built-in army of early adopters and made sure they owned the only device able to run their software and that they control the only significant source of applications for that device. No one else, even Microsoft, could adopt the same strategy.

That approach apparently infuriates some folks. But it also delights many others whose priorities don't lie in hacking their phones.

As long as Apple continues to churn out attractive, intuitive, consumer-friendly devices, they can watch with amusement as all others compete for the rest of the marketplace. Even if Apple's share of the smart phone market stagnates exactly where it is right now, they'll be depositing more money in the bank in a day than any of their competitors manage in a month.

Darkseider

Reaction score

The "rate of adoption" of iPhones is for a device that is nearing a major and widely publicized upgrade. When the 4gen iPhone goes on sale, there will lines around the block at virtually every Apple and AT&T store in the country.

I have no doubt that some Android platformed tablets will sell. I will be very surprised if they manage to carve out more than a minority slice of the market Apple has (re)invented.

Furthermore, in what seems like an odd strategy, Google has imposed all sorts of barriers for tablet manufacturers in taking advantage of the thousands of apps available on the Market.

The bottom line is that Apple adopted a brilliant design and marketing strategy that no one else can match. They had a built-in army of early adopters and made sure they owned the only device able to run their software and that they control the only significant source of applications for that device. No one else, even Microsoft, could adopt the same strategy.

That approach apparently infuriates some folks. But it also delights many others whose priorities don't lie in hacking their phones.

As long as Apple continues to churn out attractive, intuitive, consumer-friendly devices, they can watch with amusement as all others compete for the rest of the marketplace. Even if Apple's share of the smart phone market stagnates exactly where it is right now, they'll be depositing more money in the bank in a day than any of their competitors manage in a month.

"As long as Apple continues to churn out attractive, intuitive, consumer-friendly devices..."

That's the part that bothers me. Technology is supposed to simplify things but in the same sentence is supposed to advance the individual using the technology. Apple does a good job of simplifying but to the extent where instead of advancing the individuals knowledge of technology turns them into something that can be compared to a mushroom mentally. When the technology doesn't slightly challenge the user then the technology in general is malevolent. What good is a bunch of "George Jetson" button pushers as opposed to a generation of people who, at the very least, understands to even the simplest of levels the concepts and technology used in the devices they use. Not for nothing but this scares the hell out of me.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
"As long as Apple continues to churn out attractive, intuitive, consumer-friendly devices..."

That's the part that bothers me. Technology is supposed to simplify things but in the same sentence is supposed to advance the individual using the technology. Apple does a good job of simplifying but to the extent where instead of advancing the individuals knowledge of technology turns them into something that can be compared to a mushroom mentally. When the technology doesn't slightly challenge the user then the technology in general is malevolent. What good is a bunch of "George Jetson" button pushers as opposed to a generation of people who, at the very least, understands to even the simplest of levels the concepts and technology used in the devices they use. Not for nothing but this scares the hell out of me.

Suffice to say that you'd be better off as an educator than as a marketer. I've been both and they call for different skills and viewpoints.

In fact I share at least some of your concerns, especially when I hear that one-third of teenagers send more than 3000 text messages a month and the focus on Flash animation far exceeds the interest in apps that enable people to read a book.

The difference between us, I think, is that you tend to be far more optimistic than I am about the direction consumer culture is headed. You seem to think that consumers will go out of their way to learn about this stuff. I don't.

But that's probably the difference between age, experience, and the resulting level of optimism.

Darkseider

Reaction score

Suffice to say that you'd be better off as an educator than as a marketer. I've been both and they call for different skills and viewpoints.

In fact I share at least some of your concerns, especially when I hear that one-third of teenagers send more than 3000 text messages a month and the focus on Flash animation far exceeds the interest in apps that enable people to read a book.

The difference between us, I think, is that you tend to be far more optimistic than I am about the direction consumer culture is headed. You seem to think that consumers will go out of their way to learn about this stuff. I don't.

But that's probably the difference between age, experience, and the resulting level of optimism.

Believe it or not I don't think there is that much of a difference between us age wise. The optimism I have in hoping that the average consumer wakes up and wants to understand the technology involved is derived solely from the fact that after a while ignorance is not bliss. Most people realize this, too late sometimes, and are behind the curve but will eventually NEED to educate themselves to some extent in order to remain in the loop. Think about the whole, "My grandma uses email" mentality. She didn't HAVE to understand email but in order to get recent pictures of the kids she learned out of necessity.

Sweettooth

Reaction score

Yeah no kiding, I'm 22 so I'm slowly slipping out of that younger crowd I suppose but I can tell you that as a younger person, most of us are ignorant for the most part. Young people are literally as bad as senior citizens in some cases, very indifferent toward challenging situations. Thankfully I don't fall into this crowd and enjoy challenge and the opportunity to be a problem solver. I think you'll find that technology that challenges the average user will ultimately cause them to deviate to a simpler device, hence the phenomenal sales of the iPhone.

Fact is: most people WANT to be told what to do.

I think what seems to be drawing more and more people over to Android isn't the "challenge" but the bandwagon. There are multiple devices with various ranges of intuitiveness; some are fancier and more user-friendly, others are more stripped down and developer friendly. While this gives people more options, it also floods the market with a highly recognizable name and icon and technological envy ensues as people swallow up the advertising.

I'd say it was essentially choice that's allowing Android to slowly take over the market. Google and its affiliates are aiming to please everyone vs. creating one device and trying to mold the people. The same thing was done with Barbie and look at their sales lol! :)

Darkseider

Reaction score

Yeah no kiding, I'm 22 so I'm slowly slipping out of that younger crowd I suppose but I can tell you that as a younger person, most of us are ignorant for the most part. Young people are literally as bad as senior citizens in some cases, very indifferent toward challenging situations. Thankfully I don't fall into this crowd and enjoy challenge and the opportunity to be a problem solver. I think you'll find that technology that challenges the average user will ultimately cause them to deviate to a simpler device, hence the phenomenal sales of the iPhone.

Fact is: most people WANT to be told what to do.

I think what seems to be drawing more and more people over to Android isn't the "challenge" but the bandwagon. There are multiple devices with various ranges of intuitiveness; some are fancier and more user-friendly, others are more stripped down and developer friendly. While this gives people more options, it also floods the market with a highly recognizable name and icon and technological envy ensues as people swallow up the advertising.

I'd say it was essentially choice that's allowing Android to slowly take over the market. Google and its affiliates are aiming to please everyone vs. creating one device and trying to mold the people. The same thing was done with Barbie and look at their sales lol! :)

"I think you'll find that technology that challenges the average user will ultimately cause them to deviate to a simpler device, hence the phenomenal sales of the iPhone."

I have one question regarding this statement and it is a very valid one. Is the deviation from a challenging technology to a simpler technology a negative effect on technology?

People didn't deviate from the TRS-80, Micral N, Apple I, Apple II, 8086, 286, etc... They learned how to use them and the technology involved. In doing so more advanced, more powerful and easier to use technologies spawned from these very same people. Now that Apple has essentially created computing for idiots where is the desire to learn? The challenge and desire to improve that drove the industry to the point where it is at now. Don't get me wrong there are still those that love the challenge and strive to improve existing technologies. In doing so and essentially dumbing it down to the point of "button pushing" for the masses is it beneficial to future progress? Remember the masses are the ones that will some day be in the positions of those creating and improving said technology.

M

Matth3w

Android sales are skewed when comparing to Apple based on the fact that Apple is relegated to one carrier and Droid is all over giving people different options.

For example, EVERYONE here in my town has Verizon. ATT is worthless here...completely. So everyone with a smartphone has a Droid or BB of some fashion (Moto, HTC I, Eris, etc).

If you released both phones into the open market I think you would see Apple regain any ground lost.

I can't count how many people own a Droid or Eris or something because they would rather have that than switch to ATT. But if you do a search to see just how many people would love to have the iPhone on Verizon....it would really hurt Droid. I bet my paycheck that if the iPhone was offered to Verizon it would be sold out for months and probably even outsell the iPad, Droid, and Incredible combined.

So I agree...if you want to judge a true phone to phone then the Droid of some fashion needs to knock off the iPhone with ONE device.