New Research Shows Android OS Occupies 61 Percent of Smartphones

Edognights

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
npdosshare.jpg

New research from NPD Group shows an impressive rise in Android use over iOS, even after Apple's record breaking iPhone 4S sales. The report shows that during the first quarter of 2012 Android was running on 61 percent of smartphones, while Apple's iOS only accounted for less than one third of the market, at 29 percent. Android's numbers are up from the last quarter of 2011 where Android only held 49 percent of the market with iOS closely following at 41 percent. No need to worry about Apple, because although their market share is down their baseline actually grew due to iPhone distribution through Sprint, not to mention they are still the top smartphone manufacturer.

Source: Phandroid

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
I think the biggest plus for Android is that there is a phone for everyone at all price points. Not everyone can afford to put down $300+ for a small, over hyped, stale piece of fruit.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I think the biggest plus for Android is that there is a phone for everyone at all price points. Not everyone can afford to put down $300+ for a small, over hyped, stale piece of fruit.

They have older IPhones to hit lower price points. Only the latest fruit goes for $300+.

djsiva

Reaction score
But the old one ,nobody will buy a outdated phone.

I can't stand Apple and how they do business, but the outdated tech argument goes for entry level Android phones. They usually have dated technology to get them to a good price point, thus putting them right there with Apple in selling outdated technology at a lower price.

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
djsiva said:
I can't stand Apple and how they do business, but the outdated tech argument goes for entry level Android phones. They usually have dated technology to get them to a good price point, thus putting them right there with Apple in selling outdated technology at a lower price.

How about the HTC One V? It has ICS and Sense 4 and it's entry level. It's more up to date then my Rezound.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Droid Forums

djsiva

Reaction score
How about the HTC One V? It has ICS and Sense 4 and it's entry level. It's more up to date then my Rezound.

That's software. You can put Windows 7 on a 5 year old PC. Look at the hardware.

• 3.7-inch 480x800 display
  • 1GHz single-core processor
  • 512MB RAM
  • 4GB built-in storage
  • 5MP F/2.0 rear shooter

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
The point I was making is that it's not an old phone. It's a brand new model with the latest software unlike an iPhone 3 or 2. And yes the specs are weak, that's why it's entry level. But it's not last years phone like the older iPhones.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
The point I was making is that it's not an old phone. It's a brand new model with the latest software unlike an iPhone 3 or 2. And yes the specs are weak, that's why it's entry level. But it's not last years phone like the older iPhones.

I agree with you. Having the latest Android software is better than the latest hardware. My DX has the latest ICS on it but its hardware is 2 years old. The iPhone 4 can't even have Siri because Apple says it unworthy. When the S3 comes to Verizon, I'll probably grab it even if it doesn't sport the Exynos processor because it has some pretty awesome software on it. Devs will support it for a long time and it won't really feel outdated. Hell, if I wasn't having screen issues on my DX, I'd keep it around for a little longer, but I have a big spot of dead pixels and its irritating.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Awesome.. I feel that with the coming tech that's going to be added to DROID.... things will only get better.

DROID RAZR MAXXAMIZED!!!

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score

Yeah, but those older IPhones get updated with the latest IOS, too.

The "new" low-end phones you're referring to is just a marketing gimmick. The older IPhones are "new" too, as in unused. It competes at that price point. Apple has the price points covered.