Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
ico-time.png
30. Jun, 2010 written by Staska / unwiredview.com
ico-comment.png
0 Comments

We’ve been hearing about the upcoming Android Gingerbread release in Q4 for a while now. And also how the new Android user interface will blow our socks off.

Still, everyone’s been pretty sketchy about exact details of what’s actually coming to Android Gingerbread. Until now.
Mobile-review.com’s Eldar Murtazin just went and spilled a boatload of interesting details about the upcoming Android Gingerbread release. Don’t run searching for these details to his blog or his main site, you won’t find anything there yet.

Eldar did all the spilling in his Russian podcast “Digestiv”. It’s audio only, so Google Translate won’t help you much. If you do not speak Russian, you’ll have to trust me on this.

Here we go:

• Android 3.0 Gingerbread will be released in mid- October (around 15 -16th), 2010. First handsets shipping in November/December – for the Holiday Season.
  • Minimum hardware requirements for Android 3.0 devices are: 1GHZ CPU, 512MB or RAM, displays from 3.5” and higher. (We all, of course, heard that Android handsets with 2GHz CPU’s are coming)
  • New 1280×760 resolution available for the devices with displays of 4” and higher. (Anyone thinking about Android tablets now? )
  • Completely revamped user interface. If you want to get a feeling of what Android 3.0 Gingerbread UX is like, check out the [video=youtube;1E1mSSBKEPU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1E1mSSBKEPU"]Gallery App[/video] on Nexus One. The same overall feel, light animated transitions,etc. Natively, through all the UI.
  • Android’s split into 2 branches becomes official. 3.0 for top of the line/high end devices. Cheap, low-end mass market handsets will keep Android 2.1/2.2
Eldar also confirmed my musings about the death of third party User Interface shells like HTC Sense, MotoBlur, etc;. Android 3.0 basically kills the need for them.

Still, there’s some hope for third party vendors here – while Google takes over the UI on the high end, vendors get to keep their UI shells/improvements on mass market Android smartphones, running Eclair or Froyo.

androidheadilnes.com

Last edited:
OP
Shadez

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Well guess alot of us will need to upgrade or root for Gingerbread..

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
Based on the minimum requirements for 3.0, the Droid won't be eligible to receive the update. I think that alone will push a lot of people to upgrade their phones.

markwebb

Reaction score
Quite interesting and exciting.

Looks like the original MOTO Droid will be getting its last update with Froyo. Oh well. By next March or so, I will be ready to upgrade to a newer, more powerful Droid.

kook

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
In before page 387.

Looks interesting enough to me. Good thing I decided to upgrade anyway ;)

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm due for upgrade in Jan so I will be.

That video looks like the exact same gallery as 2.2 to me, at least pretty close.

Droidfish

Reaction score
I was wondering what update would be the first that the Moto Droid wouldn't be getting, this is the first the device I've ever had that I will be a little reluctant to upgrade. Right now my droid does more than I could have asked for. Overall I can't wait to see what kind of tablets hit the market.

BeADroid

Reaction score
Well guess alot of us will need to upgrade or root for Gingerbread..
whoa, whoa, whoa, will that mean that the Droid Pro will be running Gingerbread???:yeahbaby01: I also wonder if big red will let you upgrade early like they are with the Droid X. I may just be wishing and hoping, but that is awesome, can someone remind how often does APPLE come out with new OS's....once a year... here we have android coming out with three in one year.... :yahoo:just my thoughts......

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
This news makes me rethink my desire to get the Droid X and hold out for the next launch of phones. I don't want a minimum requirement phone running GB :)

huskur

Reaction score
Based on the minimum requirements for 3.0, the Droid won't be eligible to receive the update. I think that alone will push a lot of people to upgrade their phones.

Likely that is there major push for upgrades. Smartphones are getting more like PC's every day.

OP
Shadez

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69

Darkseider

Reaction score
LOL! OMG that is rich! First the Verizon iPhone rumor and now Gingerbread will need a 1 Ghz phone with uber RAM and a small fusion reactor! Seriously? Seeing how Android works and knowing its' internals, thank you AOSP, we know that this is probably false. Granted it may not be able to run on a legacy device like the G1 or similar but otherwise shouldn't be a problem. Kinda like the G1 will NEVER be able to run Froyo... really? Guess again. Same goes for this crap. Moto Droid will probably be the lower end of the spectrum when Gingerbread is released but don't think it won't run it.

Lesiroth

Reaction score
Sorry but I can't help but think this is just BS.
Why?
Google has repeatedly stated, on numerous situations, that it wants to solve the problem of fragmentation on Android. Keeping older phones on Froyo and have another major release for high-end phones is not the answer.
Are they also going to force developers to make apps on the current SDK, and also make another version of their apps for the updated SDK on GB?

Hope Google confirms or denies this so it can keep us from second-guessing this :p

OP
Shadez

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
LOL! OMG that is rich! First the Verizon iPhone rumor and now Gingerbread will need a 1 Ghz phone with uber RAM and a small fusion reactor! Seriously? Seeing how Android works and knowing its' internals, thank you AOSP, we know that this is probably false. Granted it may not be able to run on a legacy device like the G1 or similar but otherwise shouldn't be a problem. Kinda like the G1 will NEVER be able to run Froyo... really? Guess again. Same goes for this crap. Moto Droid will probably be the lower end of the spectrum when Gingerbread is released but don't think it won't run it.

Don't shoot the messenger :)