More Android 3.0 'Gingerbread' Details Revealed

JimMariner

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 64G
206859-200267-android_3.0_original_original.jpg
Mere months after the launch of Android 2.2, discussions about the impending release of Android 3.0, or "Gingerbread," are gushing. Android 3.0 is rumored to be released sometime in the next few weeks, and will be a significant overhaul of Google's market-dominating smartphone OS -- and may be the first truly tablet-ready iteration of Android.

What to Expect

Phandroid broke the news about Android 3.0 (replete with the lamest, blurriest "leaked" photo I've ever seen). Here's what they say will be included:

• Built-in video chat support: The iPhone 4's FaceTime video chat made a splash -- and Google looks to be right on Apple's heels. In an interview, Andy Rubin, Google's vice president of engineering, said Google is working on integrating video chat into its new OS.
  • Death of third-party "bloatware": HTC's Android-powered smartphones have thus far combined HTC's own Sense UI with Android's UI. Apparently this convergence of UI elements will cease with Android 3.0, eliminating Sense, Motorola's Motorblur, and others -- but whether these companies will willingly relinquish their OS creations is contentious.
  • Possible mixture of webOS: The lead designer of Palm's webOS joined Google's ranks this year, which may mean Android 3.0 will integrate bits of Palm's gorgeous interface. In addition, Android 3.0 promises a "simpler and cleaner" look for Android, especially with its apps, and the most noticeable change is the notification bar, which will go from bright white to a "warmer slate gray color." The aesthetic overhaul will also subtly integrate the Android brand's recognizable green milieu into the palate.
  • Integrated Google apps: Your favorite Google apps -- such as Gmail, Calendar, Maps and YouTube -- will reportedly be less of a "tacked-on accessory" and become an extension of the OS. This eliminates reliance on wireless carriers to roll out Google app updates.
  • Increased speed: Like in Android 2.2, 3.0 will use the new Dalvik JIT compiler to allow for better CPU performance, turning Android smartphones into speed freaks.
  • Needed: A powerful smartphone: The more features you add, the more powerful the phone will need to be. Android 3.0 won't be a featherweight. According to reports, the OS will require some hefty specs: at least a 1 GHz processor, 512 MB RAM, and 3.5-inch display (4-inch displays and larger require resolutions of at least 1280 x 760).

201829-android_slide_3_listing.jpg

Sounds good so far, but nothing earth-shattering.
What do you think should be wrapped up with 3.0?

Will Android 3.0 be Tablet-Ready?

When LG refused to create a tablet using Android 2.2, it should have given other tablet makers pause. If LG won't use it, why should others? By pumping out Android 2.2-powered tablets, which was indirectly deemed inadequate by LG, is everyone else rushing and therefore hobbling their chances of competing with the iPad?

I highly doubt any impending tablet releases will become "iPad-killers" (that term makes my skin crawl -- ugh!), but if Android 3.0 is all it's cracked up to be, and is worthy of becoming a wide-spread and highly functional tablet OS, Google could take a bite out of Apple.

By Brennon Slattery, PCWorld
Oct 19, 2010 10:55 am
Source

stevenfstein1

Reaction score
two things I want to see - the ability to create a custom route and have the navigator actually use it and a global delete function for email in my optonline acct. Just had to tap 2700 times to get rid of all the deleted messages. What a royal PITA.

Best.... Steve

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
great news and i agree, seriously, what was the point of that picture on phandroid haha...its like they took a pic and then gaussian blurred it on purpose...

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
and the most noticeable change is the notification bar, which will go from bright white to a "warmer slate gray color."
ABOUT TIME they drop that ugly crap.

Also...

"the OS will require some hefty specs: at least a 1 GHz processor, 512 MB RAM,..."

Hmmmm, us rooters can overclock to meet the processor requirements but it looks like the RAM requirement means it just won't be enough as they are asking for double what we have. Doesn't look so good for our legacy device fellow D1 owners. =-(

wierdo124

Reaction score
and the most noticeable change is the notification bar, which will go from bright white to a "warmer slate gray color."
ABOUT TIME they drop that ugly crap.

Also...

"the OS will require some hefty specs: at least a 1 GHz processor, 512 MB RAM,..."

Hmmmm, us rooters can overclock to meet the processor requirements but it looks like the RAM requirement means it just won't be enough as they are asking for double what we have. Doesn't look so good for our legacy device fellow D1 owners. =-(

Don't be so sure.

anuraj1

Reaction score

After running darker themes on my D1 that has been rooted since last december, I put a stock looking ROM on it recently and the white bar was BLINDING white haha.

This false rumor has been repeated and debunked over and over and I really wish people would stop parroting it. The guy that originated it (Eldar Murtazin) made up the specs he thought would sound good in the future and reported them on a Russian language podcast. Someone actually took the time to translate it and the false info has been repeated ever since. Here is just one of dozens of links that shows that rumor being debunked:

Android Gingerbread rumors debunked, then clarified

bmx24

Reaction score
well i dont think we d1 owners are out just yet the
1)the g1 has a froyo port and it is sopost to have android 1.6 but thew got 2.2 on it
2) i have a hard time beliveing that the motodroid will not get an ota update because it is still kinda new while the g1 is super old
3)if it takes a 1.0 gh prosser than googles beloved g2 wont be getting it