Android 3.0 Gingerbread Details Emerge

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This news makes me rethink my desire to get the Droid X and hold out for the next launch of phones. I don't want a minimum requirement phone running GB :)

my thoughts exactly... :icon_ banana::icon_ banana:Droid PRO:icon_eek:

Mule65

Reaction score
LOL! OMG that is rich! First the Verizon iPhone rumor and now Gingerbread will need a 1 Ghz phone with uber RAM and a small fusion reactor! Seriously? Seeing how Android works and knowing its' internals, thank you AOSP, we know that this is probably false. Granted it may not be able to run on a legacy device like the G1 or similar but otherwise shouldn't be a problem. Kinda like the G1 will NEVER be able to run Froyo... really? Guess again. Same goes for this crap. Moto Droid will probably be the lower end of the spectrum when Gingerbread is released but don't think it won't run it.

You think non-rooted Moto Droids will see 3.0? I doubt it.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
There's no way 4G will be in MY area this year, so I am fine with getting the X now. If the new LTE network comes my way in the 1Q of 2011 and has positive reviews, I will use my upgrade and get a new 4G capable phone. I guess this is one of the few benefits of playing full retail on the X.

OP
Shadez

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Kinda like the G1 will NEVER be able to run Froyo... really? Guess again. Same goes for this crap. Moto Droid will probably be the lower end of the spectrum when Gingerbread is released but don't think it won't run it.

Yea this is off topic but..

G1 to get Froyo?
ico-time.png
30. Jun, 2010 written by Andrew Kameka | Androinica.com
ico-comment.png

Since Froyo was open-sourced last week, the number one question that people have asked is “Will my G1 get Froyo?” I’d love to give an emphatic ‘yes’ or ‘no’ as a reply, but carrier flip-flopping and silence on these issues makes that impossible.

However, comments from Google team members make it seem highly unlikely that the G1 will get Android 2.2, and no one should be surprised by this. After all, two major Android updates have passed since the G1 received Android 1.6, and T-Mobile hasn’t applied either update to the phone. They’ve been eerily silent on the issue, repeating the company line that it’s “Exploring options” whenever someone asked. Some sites are reporting that there’s a slight chance that the HTC Dream could be upgraded based on the following comments from Android team member Jean-Baptiste Queru.
We’ve also incorporated into the core platform all the configuration files necessary to build the source code of Android Open-Source Project on its own. You can now build and boot a fully open-source system image out of the box, for the emulator, as well as for Dream (ADP1), Sapphire (ADP2), and Passion (Nexus One).
I wouldn’t consider that a ringing endorsement that Froyo could officially come to the G1 (HTC Dream); it’s just saying that the source code for Froyo makes it possible to build a ROM that could fit on the phone. We’ve always known that since custom ROM-makers have been building their own Android flavors that fit on the G1, usually through removing features and portions of the software. Carriers are less likely to take that approach, making it tough to think T-Mobile will be able to get Android 2.2 onto the first Android phone.

Watch this video from Google I/O addressing this very issue and you’ll see why chances are slim – reallyslim – that early adopters will be able to get Froyo without rooting their phone and installing a third-party ROM.

Darkseider

Reaction score
LOL! OMG that is rich! First the Verizon iPhone rumor and now Gingerbread will need a 1 Ghz phone with uber RAM and a small fusion reactor! Seriously? Seeing how Android works and knowing its' internals, thank you AOSP, we know that this is probably false. Granted it may not be able to run on a legacy device like the G1 or similar but otherwise shouldn't be a problem. Kinda like the G1 will NEVER be able to run Froyo... really? Guess again. Same goes for this crap. Moto Droid will probably be the lower end of the spectrum when Gingerbread is released but don't think it won't run it.

You think non-rooted Moto Droids will see 3.0? I doubt it.

You never know. With Google rumored to be dropping Gingerbread in October to be released on handsets in December it may very well come to the Droid. Not to mention with all this talk about SMOOTH and lighted UIs that would mean that there has to be some level of GPU acceleration. In which case the Droid fits in due to the PowerVR SGX 530 that it houses. Did you also notice the resolution? Me thinks tablet not phone with that kind of resolution.

Darkseider

Reaction score
Kinda like the G1 will NEVER be able to run Froyo... really? Guess again. Same goes for this crap. Moto Droid will probably be the lower end of the spectrum when Gingerbread is released but don't think it won't run it.

Yea this is off topic but..

G1 to get Froyo?
ico-time.png
30. Jun, 2010 written by Andrew Kameka | Androinica.com
ico-comment.png

Since Froyo was open-sourced last week, the number one question that people have asked is “Will my G1 get Froyo?” I’d love to give an emphatic ‘yes’ or ‘no’ as a reply, but carrier flip-flopping and silence on these issues makes that impossible.

However, comments from Google team members make it seem highly unlikely that the G1 will get Android 2.2, and no one should be surprised by this. After all, two major Android updates have passed since the G1 received Android 1.6, and T-Mobile hasn’t applied either update to the phone. They’ve been eerily silent on the issue, repeating the company line that it’s “Exploring options” whenever someone asked. Some sites are reporting that there’s a slight chance that the HTC Dream could be upgraded based on the following comments from Android team member Jean-Baptiste Queru.
We’ve also incorporated into the core platform all the configuration files necessary to build the source code of Android Open-Source Project on its own. You can now build and boot a fully open-source system image out of the box, for the emulator, as well as for Dream (ADP1), Sapphire (ADP2), and Passion (Nexus One).
I wouldn’t consider that a ringing endorsement that Froyo could officially come to the G1 (HTC Dream); it’s just saying that the source code for Froyo makes it possible to build a ROM that could fit on the phone. We’ve always known that since custom ROM-makers have been building their own Android flavors that fit on the G1, usually through removing features and portions of the software. Carriers are less likely to take that approach, making it tough to think T-Mobile will be able to get Android 2.2 onto the first Android phone.

Watch this video from Google I/O addressing this very issue and you’ll see why chances are slim – reallyslim – that early adopters will be able to get Froyo without rooting their phone and installing a third-party ROM.

That's what I meant. Rooted and running Froyo not official release.

OP
Shadez

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Well, you know, this could be true... we havent heard the term, at least I havent, "Minimum Requirements" alot lately. Maybe Gingerbread just has features in it that make it running on a slower processor impossible, maybe thats why the Droid X is getting such a push ..

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
october release date for Gingerbread is very interesting! google we love you

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Makes sense.....Droid 1 on Froyo Droid 2 bumped up to Gingerbread.

It had to happen.

Now I see why the Droid 1 is getting 2.2 aka Froyo. Didn't make sense to me before but it now falls right into place.

OP
Shadez

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Makes sense.....Droid 1 on Froyo Droid 2 bumped up to Gingerbread.

It had to happen.

Now I see why the Droid 1 is getting 2.2 aka Froyo. Didn't make sense to me before but it now falls right into place.

Good observation, I didn't even think of that..

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Moved.....

This is a comfortable section for you Shadez hmmmmm : )

zMd113

Reaction score
Well I hope htc makes an Incredible 2 next year so I can upgrade and run Gingerbread.

ntrddragn

Reaction score
"You cant catch me I'm the Gingerbread Man". LOL Actually im looking forward to the Muffin OS. "Do you know the Muffin Man?" :D

OP
Shadez

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
It is sad however that we have to learn about our new OS from the Russians...