am i expecting too much from my Incredible?

funkpod

Reaction score
Am I expecting too much out of my Incredible?

First of all, let me say, I love my Incredible. Everything, from the camera to the UI to the apps to the GPS-- everything.

EXCEPT the battery life.

I currently have the 1500mah battery in it (after reading that it was better than the seidio 1750), and have had it on since 6am. It's now about 4:30pm and it's at 14% and says it's time to recharge...

Today, I have...

1. gone running w/ my gps on and google listen on, about 40 min.
2. surfed the net, maybe 15 minutes total
3. made 2 phone calls
4. sent like 6 texts.
5. emailed 4 emails w/ attachments.
6. tried to bluetooth sync my computer to my phone. (10 min?)
7. let SYNCING on all day
8. turned on wifi for a little bit, like 15 min?
9. listened to google listen for another 10 min.
10. small misc. things

settings:
no live wallpaper
brightness usually set to medium, unless i'm outside
syncs every 4 hours?

widgets:
1. Friendstream
2. Battery Left
3. Calendar widget
4. Favorites
5. Android Control widget
6. clock widget
7. weather widget

uptime
10:02:50 about

awake time
5:31:46

am i missing something?

I knew going into this that the incredible's battery life was not incredible. however, i didn't know it was like this...
some days (this was before my 1500) i had to charge it around 3 or 4pm.
tonight i had to switch out my battery around 6pm.

i didn't get a smart phone so that i would be paranoid if i was using it too much.

i do notice that when i open my Advanced Task Killer, that i had like 23 apps open. Is this normal?
my friend w/ a droid thought that was weird-- he only has like 6 or so open.
skype, fring, fm radio, epicurious, all these apps are open, but i didn't open them.
literally, like at least 20 apps. could that be the problem? how do i stop it?
also, i've noticed that Peoples and Handcent are slow...... it didn't used to be this way.
when i first start it up, it takes a while to do it.
also, one time i charged it overnight w/ the power off, bump charged it, then when i went to turn it on, nothing happened, no nothing. plugging it back in, no charging light, etc. even took the battery out and put it back in and nothing. finally took it to the verizon store and the CS guy took the battery out and then it turned back on.

do i have to turn off EVERYTHING in order to make it through the day? wifi, gps, syncing, bluetooth? what's next, power?

SO>>>> here are my questions:

1. is this normal for the incredible?
2. does the droid x get better battery life? (i want to not have to charge it until like, 9pm. do-able?)
3. is there something that i am missing on my incredible, some setting that will change this?
4. does the iphone (3 or 4) get better battery life?
5. will FROYO help with my phone's battery life?

there are a ton of cool android features that i love, but i don't want to have to turn everything off in order to appreciate them.

please help!

Eschy

Reaction score
the incredible has a battery glitch, google droid incredible battery fix or something like that. They posted it on xda developers. its also on this site somewhere

OP
F

funkpod

Reaction score
do you mean the bump charge thing? i have been doing it... what i don't know is what i am experiencing is normal or not.

Eschy

Reaction score
Oh nevermind can't help you there. I don't have one sorry

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
Hmmm, let me cover a few of these items. First off, dump the task killer. Period. You can monitor apps on your own through the system menu. Go there, look at the running apps list and kill unwanted manually. The task killer is known to kill batteries as bad or worse than the actual apps. They also cause alarm and clock issues.

Next, yes, there is a glitch in the charging system that should be addressed in Froyo. Just hold tight. If you have two batteries between now and then, test them and see if they both seem to die inordinately quickly. If so, might be a problem with the phone itself.

If you have several widgets monitoring the net full time, you will have heavy battery draws. Try to minimize.

OK, now hit us with questions.

OP
F

funkpod

Reaction score
OKAY... so i dumped the task killer. i had it running for like 2 hours today, but then deleted it. used the internet today... a lot? i dunno if it was a lot, but it was more than usual. hard to say, really. but maybe half an hour straight surfing? had wifi, syncing, everything turned off. it lasted to around 6pm... 11 hours on, 9 hours awake time.
i don't think i used it 9 hours today, i couldn't have. am i missing something?

i really think that i'm supposed to have better battery life than this.

i also noticed this: When I open my contacts in "people," it takes a long time. I mean like several minutes. I go to start a text msg and them I look for the right contact and then it takes a long long time to get to the contacts. Then i noticed that there are like 20 different addresses for the same person. Any idea why?

it's taking up like a lot of memory? i thought the people was Handcent, I uninstalled it, but then i had the same problem w/ "messages."

could it be a problem when i tried to convert all of my regular contacts into google contacts. i exported my phone contacts, then imported them into my Google Mail Contacts, and then it resynced...i had double contacts for some friends, but like, my contacts are less than 200. but that's not too many contacts that it would slow down my phone, right?

BOTTOM LINE. how do find out if something's wrong w/ my phone?

OP
F

funkpod

Reaction score
here's the deal, my phone seems to die out at 6pm every day... i would say i used my phone very lightly today.

question, could this have something to do with the fact that i have 2 facebook syncing accounts? 1 is facebook, 1 is facebook for HTC sense.

when i add a contact to a text, etc., there are at least a full page of the same contact. when i make a phone call, it takes like 30 seconds to connect. could my phone be resyncing the same contacts over and over again?

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
I would recommend killing one of the Facebook syncing accounts. That sucks power. Then, on the remaining, unless you need to know immediately, set the time for syncing further apart. Then, check for something like Skype or another permanently on device. Unless you are using Skype, kill it from your running applications. If you'd like, shoot a lit of everything you have showing in your running applications list and we'll see what we can tell you to kill from the list.

OP
F

funkpod

Reaction score
mail
calendar
google
sync service
htc message uploader
skype mobile
gesture search
swype
epicurious
fring
youmail
google voice
ak notepad
battery left
TiKL

i dunno why skype and fring are on, or gtalk, i haven't opened those in days.

whenever i kill skype, it comes back...

i definitely will delete one of the facebook accounts, but i have my contacts linked to facebook, will that kill the link? honestly, i don't care right now, i can reestablish the link, but the battery is such a chore right now.

it's like ... a feeling of dread looming over me, "if i check the time right now, will it show another 10% drop?"

my cousin's got the droid x, and he's tellin' me about how he's got syncing on, surfing the web for a half hour at a time, etc., and he's still got power by nightfall.....

and i don't want to get the extra extended battery for the Incredible, i feel like that destroys the form factor.

shadow man

Reaction score
I've got the 1500mah battery in mine. If you got a couple extra hours out of it with the same amount of use as with the 1350, then that would make sense. Certainly getting rid of a couple of the non-essential widgets will help. You may want to look at a task manager rather then the app killer. There's a few, but look for the one that kills the apps when you shut the screen off. The reason these can cause problems with alarms and such is that certain things need to be selected to be ignored...user error, not the apps. I've found a big help of my battery life to have come from rooting, and using SetCPU to underclock the hell out of the processor when the screen is off.

markymark

Reaction score
Have to disagree with JK regarding task killer, if used properly it can improve battery life significantly. True, you can go through the system menu and filter for running applications and force close them one at a time if you want to spend a half hour each time. Or you can use ATK and do it with one push of a button.

As long as you disable auto-kill, ATK won't use up any battery power. And don't include ATK on the ignore list, so it will kill itself when you run it. You just have to make sure you include on your ignore list anything you don't want to be killed, such as clock, weather, email, etc.

RyanPm40

Reaction score
You have a LOT running. Your battery life is completely normal. sync and gps kills it.

openethan

Reaction score
Dump Friendstream and as many widgets as you can stand. I am suprised. I have basically everything stripped out of my phone (incredible) besides the call feature. Unplug as 8AM and it is RED dead kaput by 2PM.

OP
F

funkpod

Reaction score
yikes. okay, newest development.
to add to my battery frustration, my phone is like... i dunno, just totally messed up.

problems.
1. low storage warning (i had like 6 gigs free...)
2. it takes FOREVER to load contacts. many minutes. (if at all)
3. when it's trying whatever it wants to do, has to force close. "htc sense is experiencing problems, force close or wait" (something like that)
4. i can't send or receive any texts, or phone calls.

i brought it to verizon, and the non-technicians recommended Advanced Task Killer (she said that Google actually recommends it ... i wasn't quite so sure of that, but i didn't feel like getting into a whole thing with her). she recommended deleting the HTC sense facebook account and i have Juice Defender running.

problem is my 30 day and my time frame on sending the mail-in rebate is coming to a close... i think the manager said he'd be able to extend the 30 day trial for me, though.

I am thinking it might just be better to hard reset and start again from scratch...

OR, i am going to just exchange the phone. which seems like a more likely solution.