A scratch!!

Aiesline

Reaction score
Yikes! I've been so pleased with the aesthetic of this phone I've not yet managed to bring myself to put it in a case or to put a screen protector on it. As a result I have some shallow tiny scratches on the screen. I assume these are in the anti glare coating but I'm still really unhappy. Sooo who is using what screen protector and why?

xxwabbit

Reaction score
With my d1 I went naked for 2 years and the screen is perfect. I put one on the maxx this time until I get used to the phone or for at least a year. I have noticed my screen protector has some scratches on it. Another reason is I let my wife use the maxx the other day and she was very careless about where she puts it. My d1 is now used by wife at home on wifi only with a screen protector on it.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Aiesline said:
Yikes! I've been so pleased with the aesthetic of this phone I've not yet managed to bring myself to put it in a case or to put a screen protector on it. As a result I have some shallow tiny scratches on the screen. I assume these are in the anti glare coating but I'm still really unhappy. Sooo who is using what screen protector and why?

Can you feel the scratches with your fingernail??? I've heard of people using mothers metal polish and polishing the scratches right out. Use caution when attempting anything like this. It could exacerbate the problem.

Something a person may try, try tooth paste, not the gel, but normal toothpaste, a very very small amount on the tip of you finger.... and work it over the scratch. It may do the trick.

DROID RAZR MAXXAMIZED!!!

Apex89

Reaction score
Yeah my girlfriends RAZR has the same little scratches. You can't really feel them, but you can see it when you tilt it just right, in the light.

I am in the same boat as you, OP, as I have a case but I elect not to use it just because of how sleek the phone is without it. I love the feel without it and I hate the case so I'm not even using it. I am, however, using a Steinheil ultra crystal screen protector. Definitely worth it, 13 bucks on amazon but they send two in case you mess up. It's a very clear protector, and it feels as good as screen protectors can feel. Make no mistake, it doesn't feel as good as a completely nakey screen, but still isn't bad at all.

OP
Aiesline

Aiesline

Reaction score
Can you feel the scratches with your fingernail??? I've heard of people using mothers metal polish and polishing the scratches right out. Use caution when attempting anything like this. It could exacerbate the problem.

Something a person may try, try tooth paste, not the gel, but normal toothpaste, a very very small amount on the tip of you finger.... and work it over the scratch. It may do the trick.

DROID RAZR MAXXAMIZED!!!

most of them no.. one of them I can. Im not sure I want to risk makeing it worse

clintro

Reaction score
Mine goes in my left pocket all the time and nothing else does. No scratches on the Bionic I had for a while, and the RAZR is safe so far {knock on wood}

DocsDad

Reaction score

Check this thread and link out. It worked for my son. It actually filled/covered his scratch.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-maxx/203906-screen-scratches.html

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
To answer your question, I switch between the Steinheil Ultra Fine and the Ultra Clear screen protectors. I love the clarity of the Ultra Clear, but hate thing fingerprints. Then I love the non finger prints of the Ultra Fine and the matte feel, but don't like the fuzziness of it.

As far as why I use one, it is because of posts like this. I love my phone and want to protect it the best way possible. Same reason I use an Ottorbox so I limit the chances of me having to make a post like others saying my Razr is cracked or what not.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I always just get the clear ones at the Verizon store and I have someone at the store apply it...because there always seems to be at least one person who is an expert at it. And they definitely do a much better job than I do. They come three to a pack but so far I have always only just used the one. I also demand that all my kids keep one on their phones (as long as I am paying the bill they can do this one thing). To me they seem almost as naked as the phone ...so much so that I accused my son of removing his and he had to prove to me it was still on by peeling the corner. If you get a clear one and it is applied correctly, the difference is virtually unnoticeable.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

SGTSCHU

Reaction score
I always just get the clear ones at the Verizon store and I have someone at the store apply it...because there always seems to be at least one person who is an expert at it. And they definitely do a much better job than I do. They come three to a pack but so far I have always only just used the one. I also demand that all my kids keep one on their phones (as long as I am paying the bill they can do this one thing). To me they seem almost as naked as the phone ...so much so that I accused my son of removing his and he had to prove to me it was still on by peeling the corner. If you get a clear one and it is applied correctly, the difference is virtually unnoticeable.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

I've had great luck with the Verizon branded screen protectors. They just fit better and are very clear.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

huskur

Reaction score
To scratch gorilla glass you really have to be trying. My D1 never had a screen protector nor did my DX and neither does my Maxx. Not a single scratch on any of them. (knock on wood)

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Aiesline said:
most of them no.. one of them I can. Im not sure I want to risk makeing it worse

I hear you there. In that case, I would get a decent screen protector.

Zaggs are good and do their job very well. But it was just too grippy for me. It felt like I was running my finger over a racing tire. That's me though....

There are tons if screen protectors out there. Just search amazon...

DROID RAZR MAXXAMIZED!!!

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
if you want the extra protection, I have found the Steinheil brand to be excellent screen protectors. Good fit and great clarity on other phones I have used in the past. Have not purchased one for the RAZR however.

Amazon.com: SGP Motorola DROID RAZR / DROID RAZR MAXX Screen Protector Steinheil Ultra Series [Ultra Fine]: Cell Phones & Accessories

Yep that is one of the ones I use now. Just for the OP and whoever else wants to get one of these. The Ultra Fine is the matte finish that does not collect finger prints, but is not as clear. The Ultra Clear is the one that is like having a bare screen, so just make sure you order the one you actually want. Clear is clear and fine is matte no finger prints but fuzzy screen on white backgrounds.