Brand of screen protector for your ThunderBolt?

AlexSB

Reaction score
+1000 for the Steinheil Ultra Crystal Clear protectors they feel so smooth almost as though I don't have a screen protector on it! I keep forgetting I have a screen protector on my TB in the first place.

This thread has been struck by THUNDER...lightning?

BGKris

Reaction score
+1000 for the Steinheil Ultra Crystal Clear protectors they feel so smooth almost as though I don't have a screen protector on it! I keep forgetting I have a screen protector on my TB in the first place.

Looks like I'm buying those then. Thanks.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

AlexSB

Reaction score
No problem. I was used to zagg on my D2 but the Ultra Crystal are amazing.

sir2545

Reaction score
Best Buy installed my Zagg today. I don't like waiting for things in the mail. I love it and it kinda has an anti-slip feel to it that seems to make typing so much better.

Sent from my Thunderbolt

wingdo

Reaction score
HTC does not use Gorilla Glass, but it does use a similar proprietary "tough glass" technology (I forget the name). While it should be impact and scratch "resistant," it is NOT impact and scratch "proof." I have already read reports of people cracking or shattering their screen, or noticing scratch(es) before applying screen protectors. Its really worth it for a few bucks to protect your investment, get a Steinheil and you will barely notice its there. Replacing a protector is a lot cheaper than replacing a scratched or cracked screen (not that a protector will prevent all cracks, but it will help some with impact). I respect peoples' choice to go naked, I just don't think its very smart with a $700 piece of equipment.

I haven't heard of tough glass, but I will say I took off the VZW applied screen protector on my D1 the day after I bought it as I didn't like the filmy look it gave the screen. I bought the D1 on launch day (just like the TB) and that screen was and is a tough little bugger. It went in pockets with keys, got dropped on concrete (face down at least once) and there still isn't a scratch on the screen. I do agree about the fact we want to protect our investments and I may get insurance on this phone during my 30 day grace period, but I guess now my question would be is HTC's tough glass that inferior to Gorilla Glass? IF not, I see no need for protection based on my own experiences.

jaskil1975

Reaction score
I have always used zagg. Always been great for me no matter what phone I am using.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

OP
guitarchris123
Reaction score
I haven't heard of tough glass, but I will say I took off the VZW applied screen protector on my D1 the day after I bought it as I didn't like the filmy look it gave the screen. I bought the D1 on launch day (just like the TB) and that screen was and is a tough little bugger. It went in pockets with keys, got dropped on concrete (face down at least once) and there still isn't a scratch on the screen. I do agree about the fact we want to protect our investments and I may get insurance on this phone during my 30 day grace period, but I guess now my question would be is HTC's tough glass that inferior to Gorilla Glass? IF not, I see no need for protection based on my own experiences.

Its not actually called tough glass, I said I forgot what the technical name was and couldn't find it with a quick Google search. It is not the same thing as Gorilla Glass, otherwise they would advertise the strength of scratch resistance of the TB screen more as a selling point (which they do not). Other TB owners have reported getting small scratches on their screens and not knowing how they got there because they take care of it and don't have other things in their pockets with it, and some said they had OG Droids before and that the TB's screen is not as scratch resistant as on the D1. You didn't like the filmy look of the screen protector you got because you got the cheap crappy one from VZW. I'm telling you, look into the Stenheil Ultra Clear. If you insist on going naked that is fine, but don't say I didn't warn you when you get a scratch on it. Insurance probably won't replace your phone just because your screen got a couple small scratches on it, even though it might bug the heck out of you. Just trying to warn you.

georgek

Reaction score
Just got and installed my Steinheil Ultra Crystal Clear screen protectors. It came out great and fits the screen nicely. It's not as smooth as the glass, but it still feels good. Overall I'm very happy with it.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

JRunner01

Reaction score
Just got and installed my Steinheil Ultra Crystal Clear screen protectors. It came out great and fits the screen nicely. It's not as smooth as the glass, but it still feels good. Overall I'm very happy with it.

I just tried to install mine but got a bunch of bubbles under it that dont seem to go away no matter how much I squeegie them. Tried to lay it down slowly to avoid them at all but theres no way I can see to totally avoid them while laying it down. I got the screen really clean and used the sticker thing too. Went to lay it down twice as the first time it was positioned too far down. Then when I finally got it adjusted, it seemed it lost its tacky ness somewhat and then I couldnt get the orange sticker off without leaving residue. Not sure whats so great about this protector... or did I just have bad luck? Got a 2nd one to try next, but not sure its worth it... probably end up with the same issues.

BGKris

Reaction score

I just tried to install mine but got a bunch of bubbles under it that dont seem to go away no matter how much I squeegie them. Tried to lay it down slowly to avoid them at all but theres no way I can see to totally avoid them while laying it down. I got the screen really clean and used the sticker thing too. Went to lay it down twice as the first time it was positioned too far down. Then when I finally got it adjusted, it seemed it lost its tacky ness somewhat and then I couldnt get the orange sticker off without leaving residue. Not sure whats so great about this protector... or did I just have bad luck? Got a 2nd one to try next, but not sure its worth it... probably end up with the same issues.

The bubbles do come out, you just have to work em out. These screen protectors are not meant to be removed. Once it's removed, it's done,throw it away since it looses his adhesive like you just experienced. You don't have bad luck, your learning.

georgek

Reaction score

I installed it the same way they did in the Steinheil website. Check it out if you didn't see it already. If you get bubbles just use the squeegee and work them out. Hope this helps.

JRunner01

Reaction score
OK... maybe I am learning ... :), but what about the orange tab that wont come off easily leaving sticky residue. When I try to peal it off it peals off the screen protector. If I try to come at it from another angle it just leaves behind that white sticky stuff like when you peal a label off just about anything. :icon_cussing: Perhaps there is something worng with my batch with regard to this tab?

bananie

Reaction score
I didn't watch the Steinheil video, but I followed the basic instructions on the packaging.

This is what I did:

1. lay the protector on phone to measure where you need to place the protector for optimal results
  2. peel off 1/4 of the adhesive protecting film
  3. line up the protector with top of phone (leave a tiny bit of space on the top if you want the bottom to be flush)
  4. press down on the very top of the protector (~.5 - 1 inch of the protector sticking on the screen)
  5. take the squeegee and push down as you pull the rest of the film away slowly
  6. squeegee out corner bubbles

I had zero bubbles in the middle of my screen.

georgek

Reaction score
OK... maybe I am learning ... :), but what about the orange tab that wont come off easily leaving sticky residue. When I try to peal it off it peals off the screen protector. If I try to come at it from another angle it just leaves behind that white sticky stuff like when you peal a label off just about anything. :icon_cussing: Perhaps there is something worng with my batch with regard to this tab?

Is it upside down? I didn't have any problem peeling off the top protective layer.