Brand of screen protector for your ThunderBolt?

BGKris

Reaction score
OK... maybe I am learning ... :), but what about the orange tab that wont come off easily leaving sticky residue. When I try to peal it off it peals off the screen protector. If I try to come at it from another angle it just leaves behind that white sticky stuff like when you peal a label off just about anything. :icon_cussing: Perhaps there is something worng with my batch with regard to this tab?

There is even a picture on the back of the packaging that shows the proper method of installation. Good luck!

JRunner01

Reaction score
OK... maybe I am learning ... :), but what about the orange tab that wont come off easily leaving sticky residue. When I try to peal it off it peals off the screen protector. If I try to come at it from another angle it just leaves behind that white sticky stuff like when you peal a label off just about anything. :icon_cussing: Perhaps there is something worng with my batch with regard to this tab?

Is it upside down? I didn't have any problem peeling off the top protective layer.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

Ok lets see if I make more sense :)...

There is a backing sheet that has a blue or green tab that you use to pull off that backing sheet, while holding the orange tab on the actual screen protector, so you dont get finger prints on it and you can handle it.

That orange tab then has to come off once you finish installing the screen protector. It doesnt come off easily and either peels up the screen protector if I try to peel it off and leaves a whitish residue like those typically found under stuck labels.

BGKris

Reaction score

Is it upside down? I didn't have any problem peeling off the top protective layer.

There is a backing sheet that has a blue or green tab that you use to pull off that backing sheet, while holding the orange tab on the actual screen protector, so you dont get finger prints on it and you can handle it.

That orange tab then has to come off once you finish installing the screen protector. It doesnt come off easily and either peels up the screen protector if I try to peel it off and leaves a whitish residue like those typically found under stuck labels.
The orange tab is used to peel off the cover that is affixed to the screen protector. It's never suppose to be on the actual cover.

JRunner01

Reaction score

The orange tab is used to peel off the cover that is affixed to the screen protector. It's never suppose to be on the actual cover.

Well on mine it was reversed, the orange was affixed to the front of the screen protector and its stick side was up against the backing sheet which had a green or blue tab on it used to pull them apart.

JRunner01

Reaction score

Also if the Orange tab was on the backing sheet as on yours, then your screen protector must have had the blue or green tab on its surface that has to come off after you apply it to the phone. Either way there is a tab on the outside surface of the screen protector that must come off after installation, that on mine doesnt come off easily.

dmproske

Reaction score
I didn't have any sort of screen protector on my Droid 1. I let it ride in my wife's purse one day and it got a nasty scratch on it from keys. For my tbolt I installed the steinheil ultra crystal. I am 100% happy with it so far. It fit perfectly with no.bubbles. I wiped the screen down with a alcohol cloth first then got ALL dust specs off it. No bubbles. They all cleared out with the squeege. It's very smooth I can't tell its on there.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

wingdo

Reaction score
Well I have done it. I ordered the Steinheil ultra fine. The idea of ending up with a matte screen when done was enough to convince me to toss a protector on it.

thunderboltglass

Reaction score
I hope everyone soon figures out the thunderbolt does have gorilla glass. In fact HTC is now one of the biggest company's to use gorilla glass. Go to the gorilla glass website and check the featured products list the thunderbolt is listed.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

wingdo

Reaction score
I hope everyone soon figures out the thunderbolt does have gorilla glass. In fact HTC is now one of the biggest company's to use gorilla glass. Go to the gorilla glass website and check the featured products list the thunderbolt is listed.

Gah I hate this. I specifically bought the protector because of this reply to my question on does HTC use Gorilla Glass for the Thunderbolt. http://www.droidforums.net/forum/th...protector-your-thunderbolt-2.html#post1395577

Now I want my $20 back. :/

I had my D1 from launch day until the TB launch day and i was not particularly gentle with the phone. There are scuff marks on the metal surrounding the face, the phone was dropped on a few occasions, but the glass is as pristine as the day I bought it. That's Gorilla Glass and why I wasn't looking to get a protector if the TB used Gorilla Glass.

thunderboltglass

Reaction score
Ya I can't believe people did not check the website first.

wingdo

Reaction score
Yup, I should have just googled it.

From Corning's site:

Corning® Gorilla® Glass is used by more than 30 major brands and has been designed into more than 350 product models. Due to customer agreements, we cannot identify all devices that feature Gorilla Glass. Your favorite device may include Gorilla Glass, even if you don’t see it listed. Ask your manufacturer or retailer to learn more.

HTC: 7 Mozart, 7 Surround T8788, ChaCha, Aria, Desire, Desire HD, Desire S, Desire Z, Dopod A6388, Dopod T8388, Dragon,
Droid ERIS, Droid Incredible, EVO 4G, EVO Shift 4G, G1, G2, HD2, HD7, HD mini, Hero, Incredible S, Inspire 4G, Legend, myTouch 3G,
myTouch 3G Slide, myTouch 4G, T9199, Thunder Bolt, Tianxi T9188, Salsa, Trophy, Wildfire, Wildfire S
LG: Ally, Arena, Arena TV, Crystal, LG Mini, Maxx, New Chocolate, Ophone, Optimus 2X, Optimus 7, Optimus Mach Optimus Q,
Optimus Z, Viewty Smart

thunderboltglass

Reaction score
In all honesty though I don't use a screen protecter but you can still get small micro scratches from dirt and dust. Note these are small I usually just return my phone to Verizon and get it replaced when this happens just tell them you have a software issue lol. I only signed a one year because of corporate discount so I'm sure this phone will be fine without a screen protecter till then but all you others protect your 2yr investment.

wingdo

Reaction score
Well I am kinda happy to be moving to a matte screen. I hate the reflections on a glossy, so that is a bonus.

urklegrue

Reaction score
I am having the worst luck with screen protectors. I used both Steinheil and Skinomi at various points with my Droid 1, never had an issue. I've installed protectors on my Nook Color and my iPod Touch with no issues. But I cannot for the life of me find an acceptable screen protector for the Thunderbolt.

1. Got the Zagg from Best Buy first day I got the Bolt. Applied it correctly, left it overnight. Seemed okay but there would be one corner that would bubble up. I would smoosh it down and then a few hours later it would appear again. Drove me crazy, so I returned it to BB.
2. Cut a piece off my extra Nook Color's anti-glare film. I did a bad job cutting it but other than that this was the best working one so far. However, I took it off for...
3. Skinomi. I loved loved loved this on my Droid. I was horrified, however, when after 14 hours of sitting on the Thunderbolt, it looked awful. Like a bird pooped on my screen. I couldn't even leave it there temporarily it was so bad. I know it takes time for the bubbles to go away, but on the Droid it was overnight, and I had to actually use my phone.
4. Steinheil - Today I wasted both of the films trying to get it right. The first time it was ever so slightly askew so the corner wouldn't go down, so I took it off and then it was toast. The second time an annoying line appeared smack dab in the middle of the screen, and won't go away.

That's where I am now. I ordered the splash Masque from a few posts up so we'll see how that goes. I just think I am spending way too much time and money on this, especially when it was so easy with past devices.