3 lock screen button presses

DaDroidDude

Reaction score
Hello all.
I don't think there is a solution but I thought I'd ask.

I always lock my phone, for obvious reasons.

For some reason, android chose to keep the swipe up stroke, even if the pattern option is chosen.

That means every time I use my phone I must push power button, swipe up, then enter my pattern.

This is a major oversight imo, unless I'm missing something.

Fwiw, I can't use iris or fingerprint login since my phone is in the car mount much of the time.

Any thoughts?

Thank you, in advance.

B

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
When you're in the car if you're using bluetooth you can set up trusted device. On my G7 I can set up my voice to wake up and unlock my phone if I want. Does your phone have something like that? Right now however I do pretty much what you do except I double tap my screen to wake it up then swipe up and then unlock. I do have voice unlock set up for when I'm driving but that's the only time I use it.

OP
D

DaDroidDude

Reaction score
I don't have Bluetooth in my truck yet.
That may be next on the list.
How far away from the truck do I need to be before the phone locks?
I wonder if I could use an old pebble watch left in the truck to do that.

I have a new Note 8.
Not sure about voice unlock.
Will research.

Thanks!

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
I don't have Bluetooth in my truck yet.
That may be next on the list.
How far away from the truck do I need to be before the phone locks?
I wonder if I could use an old pebble watch left in the truck to do that.

I have a new Note 8.
Not sure about voice unlock.
Will research.

Thanks!

I'm guessing with a BT watch it would be the usual BT range, about 20' to 30'. And that idea would work.

OP
D

DaDroidDude

Reaction score
Excellent. I'll give that a shot.
I bet a Bluetooth speaker would work too.
I'll give em a shot.

Thank you Sir.

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
No problem, glad to help. Do yourself a favor and make sure you get a BT speaker with a mic in it so you can do hands free calls. It's worth it.

OP
D

DaDroidDude

Reaction score
Okay.
Fixed it all.
I set up the fingerprint login which literally bypasses ALL 3 of the required strokes.
Then I bought a tiny Bluetooth receiver which eliminates the need to hardwire the phone to the cassette deck in my truck AND unlocks the phone via Bluetooth when I'm in range.
Additionally, with the dual audio feature I can listen to the car stereo, park, get out and continue exactly where I was on my Bluetooth headphones.
Brilliant!

Honestly, with this solved, I think this is the first phone I've ever had that doesn't have a significant flaw to which I must adapt.

I think the only thing I'd change is to have a changeable battery. I'd take that instead of having the phone be waterproof, but I guess now I must take it into the shower with me and I will truly be married to my phone 24x7.

And to think there once was a time in my life when we had only one phone in the house and it was hard-wired to the wall!

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
Sounds like you got it all covered. Nice!

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Done!
UE Boom kicks ass!

I've been looking at that.....is the quality and clarity good enough for a business call (it would just be me, so no issue with handling multiple people around a table or something).

OP
D

DaDroidDude

Reaction score
I've been looking at that.....is the quality and clarity good enough for a business call (it would just be me, so no issue with handling multiple people around a table or something).
Yes.
I think so.
I've answered several calls with it with no complaints.
It's also one of the best sounding speakers for music that I've tried and I've tried many.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Yes.
I think so.
I've answered several calls with it with no complaints.
It's also one of the best sounding speakers for music that I've tried and I've tried many.

Thanks for the input. I've searched, but can't seem to find clear answers, if you know:
1) So it does have a microphone, and you can answer without your phone (still connected via bluetooth, obviously)?
2) Do you know if it's a duplex speakerphone (cheaper speakerphone/earpieces usually only allow one party to talk at a time).

#2 is the hard thing to research on these. I assume if they don't advertise duplex then it's probably not.

OP
D

DaDroidDude

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I've searched, but can't seem to find clear answers, if you know:
1) So it does have a microphone, and you can answer without your phone (still connected via bluetooth, obviously)?
2) Do you know if it's a duplex speakerphone (cheaper speakerphone/earpieces usually only allow one party to talk at a time).

#2 is the hard thing to research on these. I assume if they don't advertise duplex then it's probably not.
Every Bluetooth speaker that I've ever tried that had a built-in mic was full duplex. Boom is no different.

Not sure if you can answer a call with just the speaker since I always have the phone in the dash mount when driving.

The other good thing about the boom is that it fits in most standard cup holders.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Every Bluetooth speaker that I've ever tried that had a built-in mic was full duplex. Boom is no different.

Thanks, but are you 100% sure? I need to be certain if I'm going to use it for business, and I just can't find mention in official brand literature (same as with others in the class - only found one that notes full duplex feature). And I can't find reviews that mention it, either.

I think I understand what you're saying with the built-in mic. But it definitely appears, if I look at higher-end corded handsets, that full duplex is a differentiating spec that is always listed. And for others reading this exchange, by full duplex I mean both parties can talk at the same time and hear each other (half duplex means if they try to talk while you're still talking, you won't hear them). My understanding is speakerphones < $300 only allow the mic or speaker at one time, in order to prevent feedback.

Problem is, if the mic is always on to hear you, then it's picking up the other end it's playing over the speaker. Hardware/software development to cancel out that end and prevent feedback isn't cheap, which is probably why full-duplex is mostly confined to dedicated handsets over $250 or so.

Suppose I can contact customer service, but I saw where someone tried and couldn't get an answer.

Last edited:
OP
D

DaDroidDude

Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure of anything other than I've had normal conversations on mine with no complaints.
I can her the other party talking even as I am, which would suggest full duplex.

Buy from Amazon or Walmart or target and return it if it doesn't fit your needs.