2.1 on the DROID - an early view

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wraith

Reaction score
//Insert 1970's SNL skit of pouring catsup on burger while singing "An ti ci pa a shun"//

IllooSIV

Reaction score
I think I'm going to play the "believe it when I see it" card too. From the sounds of it the guy in the video said it's version ERE25, which if I am not mistaken has been out for a little bit. (Please correct me if I'm wrong on that. Maybe this is just a more tweaked version?) The supposed in-the-know people over at HowardForums are saying that the devs are testing with ERE53.

Also on HowardForums they are saying that it only has 3 home screens and that besides being faster, having pinch to zoom everywhere, 3D Picture manager, new music app, and a few other small things that's about all we are getting. (I say "all" with a touch of sarchasm.) It was a pretty definitive statement that we aren't getting more than 3 screens "so far".

Not trying to be a downer, just going off what I have seen. It sounds to me like VZW decided to push more focus on stopping root hacks than features. Typical.

Still love my droid though. And as long as it's smoother and generally better, I wont complain! First gen Droid kicks the crap out of first gen iPoo. I can't wait to see what future gen is going to bring!

Flomaster

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
pfffttt... im rooted only thing to look forward to is flash....

-=Jason=-

bennyj

Reaction score
I was the biggest "what's the big freakin deal about live wallpapers" at first but now that I've witnessed them first hand on mine, I don't see how I thought that. Live wallpapers is going to reevolutionize wallpapers just like swype is going to do with touchscreen keyboards imo. The live wallpaper with the earth rotating is awesome to say the least. It has really good graphics and has many settings like different earth looks like a real time one where it'll show the shadow depending where you are and what time, the speed ratating, the moon, ect, ect.. my current one is the one with lil sperm flying around everywhere.

I was like you as well. Once I started trying some of the live wallpapers in the market, I was blown away. The Earth Rotate one is mindblowing and I'd love to have it as my background on a stable rom. The fact that it allows you to set it up so that the shadows fall on the earth correctly and cities lights turn on at night in parts of the world is amazing. The eye candy of the moon rotating around the Earth is great as well.

The developer is very active on the app and wants to eventually set up a whole solar system view! I wanted to try out the Death Star views, but I couldn't get them working on my phone. Some of the other wallpapers like the smoke and starfield ones look great too.

I'd rather have (3) screens filled with decent apps rather than 5-6 screens of useless clutter.

There's absolutley got to be a finite amount of apps one can have that are really worth having.

Sure, but wouldn't you rather have the option of being able to used 5 screens if you wanted to? It's not the apps that take up the most amount of room, it's the widgets. I only have 10 actual app icons on my 5 home screens. I was using only 3 screens happily up until yesterday. Once you start using big, beautiful widgets, you realize how little 3 screens really is. I'm filling up 5 screens and I actually wish I had a 6th so I could put in a full screen, Sense-style calendar.
What is the name of this app where I can get the live wallpapers you speak of?

dub8420

Reaction score
so I am using droidmod v1 and I love having a rooted phone a don't want to switch back for an update that what I have is pretty much better anyway so should I wait for droidmod to release it or install the update then reroot which would probably be more difficult?

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
There are a couple bugs on the build so we will have to see how this all shakes out.

Well, eventually they will HAVE to pass some build, if they are waiting on a build with absolutely NO bugs, we will NEVER see 2.1 - because a bug-free OS is a complete fairy tale, there is no such thing.

Aluminum21

Reaction score
so all this wait and hype for just smoother screens? LOL, last time I listen to update hype

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
There are a couple bugs on the build so we will have to see how this all shakes out.

Well, eventually they will HAVE to pass some build, if they are waiting on a build with absolutely NO bugs, we will NEVER see 2.1 - because a bug-free OS is a complete fairy tale, there is no such thing.
You don't find 2.0.1 very stable and "bug free"?

They won't release 2.1 on us if it is not as stable as 2.0.1. That would be a HUGE mistake and they know that.

pudah

Reaction score
What is the rotating earth wallpaper? Is it included with 2.1 or an app? If it's an app can someone please link it so I can check it out when we get 2.1 or I get fed up and root?

DessoThumbs

Reaction score
Operating Systems do get better. Windows 7 is a major leap over Vista. I'm sure Moto/Verizon/Google are going to make sure 2.1 is as bug free as possible. Other than a rare FC (probably due to the apps fault), 2.0.1 runs like a top on my Droid.

Sweettooth

Reaction score

They won't release 2.1 on us if it is not as stable as 2.0.1. That would be a HUGE mistake and they know that.

Lol the other guy was right, there is no such thing as bug free because that would indicate perfection which is unachievable by a human being. 2.01 is quite stable from my experience (Droid owner since early December) but it's not perfect. There were a couple times it lagged or maybe the screen got temporarily stuck in horizontal view. However there are other owners complaining of freezing and having to pull the battery.

My guess is they're stalling on releasing the update because in today's economy, nobody wants to look like a jackass, and everyone here knows that a highly anticipated update is going to get just as many complaints as it does not being released, if it's not highly stable. This alone could cause a fluctuation in sales, screwing Verizon and Motorola, meaning some poor bastard and his coworkers will be sitting on the unemployment line.

I may be wrong but that's one way to look at the wait, it's just people trying to cover their own ass; you'd do the same.

DROIDsballs

Reaction score
9 screens and flash! This is fantastic news, really looking forward to this update.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

You know CK that when we had 2.0.0 we didn't have that scrolling in the forums issue. That showed up on 2.0.1. And that's quite a noticeable bug.

It won't make a difference, no matter what they do with 2.1 ultimately, and I believe that the video is probably it, people won't be satisfied.

papy72

Reaction score
****UPDATE****

a google insider in a german android forum confirmed that 2.1 WILL include the launcher, WILL include live wallparers, WILL have 3/5/9 homescreens
via

****UPDATE****
I'll believe it when I see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.