2.1 on the DROID - an early view

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottl

Reaction score
I am ok with 3 screens and no live wallpaper, but I would really like to have a camera that worked worth a damn.

My blackberry did a better job than the DROID, and is the only thing I miss.

Isaiah

Reaction score
For what its worth theres also a "Motorola insider" on howard forums, that says live wallpapers will be included...
This is correct there is a current build with them on. Will VZW allow them to remain is the question.

Regardless your information is correct. There is a CURRENT build in testing with live walls and 5 screens.

I don't see any reason they would leave them off. If they have any intention on keeping motorola as a happy partner. The LG ENV Touch has them, the (rumored) VZW nexus one will likely have them. So I can't imagine it not getting them. What do you think?

cisco0910

Reaction score
I was the biggest "what's the big freakin deal about live wallpapers" at first but now that I've witnessed them first hand on mine, I don't see how I thought that. Live wallpapers is going to reevolutionize wallpapers just like swype is going to do with touchscreen keyboards imo. The live wallpaper with the earth rotating is awesome to say the least. It has really good graphics and has many settings like different earth looks like a real time one where it'll show the shadow depending where you are and what time, the speed ratating, the moon, ect, ect.. my current one is the one with lil sperm flying around everywhere.

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
For what its worth theres also a "Motorola insider" on howard forums, that says live wallpapers will be included...
This is correct there is a current build with them on. Will VZW allow them to remain is the question.

Regardless your information is correct. There is a CURRENT build in testing with live walls and 5 screens.

I actually find that interesting..I hope it does release with them ... atleast the 5 homescreens ....but the 3d app drawer and live WP would be a bounus to me

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon

I don't see any reason they would leave them off. If they have any intention on keeping motorola as a happy partner. The LG ENV Touch has them, the (rumored) VZW nexus one will likely have them. So I can't imagine it not getting them. What do you think?
I would think they are going to leave them on.

Always in the back of my mind though is that we are dealing with VZW : )

There are a couple bugs on the build so we will have to see how this all shakes out.

Last edited:

1linuxfreak

Reaction score
Believe it when I see it . :motdroidhoriz: This is a cruel thread , trying to keep the dream alive and teasing people with the prospect of a Vapor Update , just mean .
"It'll be here soon" ( soon; probably never) .

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Believe it when I see it . :motdroidhoriz: This is a cruel thread , trying to keep the dream alive and teasing people with the prospect of a Vapor Update , just mean .
"It'll be here soon" ( soon; probably never) .

Not being cruel at all.:) We're reporting news on 2.1 and this is the first verified copy we've seen on the Droid. I actually wrote the article (Tigger took the credit;)) and I didn't put it it that it would be out soon. Just that there was a verifiable copy of 2.1 on the Droid. Speculation is the nature of the beast.

butch350

Reaction score
I'd rather have (3) screens filled with decent apps rather than 5-6 screens of useless clutter.

There's absolutley got to be a finite amount of apps one can have that are really worth having.

The ability to download movies like the I-Phone does would be nice, i don't want to download mp3s from amazon - i can ship mp3s over from my PC.

mitchb2

Reaction score
Live wallpapers is going to reevolutionize wallpapers just like swype is going to do with touchscreen keyboards imo.

Do they have any real functionality or are they just something to look at?

gatorbait

Reaction score
I was the biggest "what's the big freakin deal about live wallpapers" at first but now that I've witnessed them first hand on mine, I don't see how I thought that. Live wallpapers is going to reevolutionize wallpapers just like swype is going to do with touchscreen keyboards imo. The live wallpaper with the earth rotating is awesome to say the least. It has really good graphics and has many settings like different earth looks like a real time one where it'll show the shadow depending where you are and what time, the speed ratating, the moon, ect, ect.. my current one is the one with lil sperm flying around everywhere.

I was like you as well. Once I started trying some of the live wallpapers in the market, I was blown away. The Earth Rotate one is mindblowing and I'd love to have it as my background on a stable rom. The fact that it allows you to set it up so that the shadows fall on the earth correctly and cities lights turn on at night in parts of the world is amazing. The eye candy of the moon rotating around the Earth is great as well.

The developer is very active on the app and wants to eventually set up a whole solar system view! I wanted to try out the Death Star views, but I couldn't get them working on my phone. Some of the other wallpapers like the smoke and starfield ones look great too.

I'd rather have (3) screens filled with decent apps rather than 5-6 screens of useless clutter.

There's absolutley got to be a finite amount of apps one can have that are really worth having.

Sure, but wouldn't you rather have the option of being able to used 5 screens if you wanted to? It's not the apps that take up the most amount of room, it's the widgets. I only have 10 actual app icons on my 5 home screens. I was using only 3 screens happily up until yesterday. Once you start using big, beautiful widgets, you realize how little 3 screens really is. I'm filling up 5 screens and I actually wish I had a 6th so I could put in a full screen, Sense-style calendar.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
It will be here when it is.

I want the new vkb myself, as I have all the 2.1 goodies.

I hope all of us have enough xanex, for the post 2.1 depression: )

dtartini

Reaction score
I still am excited about the OTA but like most people that rooted I already have the LW and more homescreens. I mostly am interested in the 3D app tray, its still unstable with the ROM I use. Hopefully after we get some ROMS based off the OTA the launcher+app tray will be stable. Speaking of 3D app tray, does anyone know of a ROM/Kernel combo that works well with the ported version of the 2.1 launcher?

mitchb2

Reaction score
Hopefully after we get some ROMS based off the OTA

That's what I'm looking forward to the most. I'll grab the OTA and use it, but I'll root as soon as the custom ROMs are ready for prime time.

Status
Not open for further replies.