2.1 ESE53 will be Official Release on the VZW Motorola Droid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erron

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
If everyone sits back and chills for just a quick minute you'd realize that VZW is just BS'ing everyone so they don't look like complete morons.

If 1000 updates were sent to random people... we would have the update.zip by now, as well as pictures of it and probably a video or two.

People on the internet need to feel important... and if they won the Droid lotto with the 2.1 update you better believe the news would be everywhere. The guy on this forum that posted that he got the 2.1 update - complete B.S. Why would he post it, then come up with a crap excuse that he doesn't like how strict it is here so he's going elsewhere... come on guys, people that believe that are in LALA land. He's just pulling your chains, trying to get you eMad.

Trust me on this.... the update hasn't been pushed out to anyone,

So, would you like to recant this statment? Since VZW itself has said an update was pushed to 1000.

That being said...i don't think anyone here got it or we would all know by now.

Brokn68

Reaction score
Verizon DID THE RIGHT THING by delaying the release. Do you really think that Verizon wanted another delay? No, it is embarrassing for companies to announce delay; they understand the fallout.

Bob
+1
It is sad to see how many people think Verizon "owe" them this update and because they decided to hold off on the update, somehow they are an embarrassment.
I would bet that outside of this board there aren't many people disappointed by this or even *know* about the update.

dadamsx

Reaction score
so who else keeps spamming the system update button on their Droid like this guy?

n0inf0

Reaction score
[/quote]
It is sad to see how many people think Verizon "owe" them this update and because they decided to hold off on the update, somehow they are an embarrassment.
I would bet that outside of this board there aren't many people disappointed by this or even *know* about the update.[/QUOTE]

I agree but what would be nice is if Verizon would allow us, people that want to play with the update, the ability to download and install it on our phones. Assuming they released it to 1,000 people found a bug and decided to delay the OTA why not be straight forward and explain it. Honestly if the bug was Yahoo mail had a formatting issue for html messages I don't care and would love to throw it on the phone anyway. I have been working with open source for a long time. You always have the option to download and install untested software and play with it. Since the Droid is running Android I think it would be beneficial to Verizon to have a geek corner of their web site that would let us get at those updates ASAP. Now if the bug bricked phones then yes I can understand to hold up but then all Verizon would have to do is tell us.

richrcp

Reaction score
I am really saddened by the vileness of some of the posts in this thread. I, too, was disappointed that the upgrade was delayed again, at the last minute.

I have been in Information Technology Services for 35 years, back in the day when it was called 'data processing'. I have seen many times when at the last minute the were pulls of product releases. Even though the delays give 'black eyes' to the vendor, in both the short and long-term, it is best for the clients.

I think nearly all of us will agree that your Droid, is critical; in my case it is mission critical as it is my connection to both my clients and email systems. If my Droid is not functioning, then I am in trouble. I cannot afford to have a smart phone that does not work. When my Treo died in early November, I purchased a HTC Imagio, even though I wanted the Droid, which I traded for a Droid (for a $35.00 fee) the day it came out.

If there is any indication that the upgrade would not be successful, then Verizon DID THE RIGHT THING by delaying the release. Do you really think that Verizon wanted another delay? No, it is embarrassing for companies to announce delay; they understand the fallout.

Even though my Droid is mission critical to me, the upgrade is not a 'life or death' situation, nor is it for most of us.

I am not, nor have I ever been, an employee of Verizon or any firm connected with the development or distribution of the Droid and Android OS.

No, if only Adobe would get Flash working on the Droid.

Just my not so humble opinion, most likely, the vile ones will respond in their usual manner.

Bob

I agree with this post 1000%. I have said that I'll wait until the update gets to my phone to get excited, but I'll gladly wait if the update gets delayed again. I'd rather have a fully functional update with minimal to no bugs/glitches. People just don't have patience for anything anymore. They want updates yesterday, and if an update was released and didn't work or brick phones, people would complain. If there was no mention of an update to be released initially back in December, people would complain about that. Some people decide to root their phones (rooting should be for experienced users) because they couldn't wait for the official release, only to not know what they are doing and cry for help.

Whatever excitement I had for 2.1 and even the Flash player is all gone. Regardless of what articles are actual updates on schedules of the 2.1 release, I'll just wait when my phone alerts me. Some of you should just deal with it or get rid of your Droid.

I agree with both of your statements but I beleive that Verizon has some serious Quality Control issues!!!!!!! I think most of us on the forums understand what it takes to roll out updates but vzw is really dropping the ball.

meaker

Reaction score
Sorry for not reading all 1100 post but is the update now delayed from coming out this weekend? If so has Verizon posted this on there site?

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
I just called VZW and talked to a rep, she told me, after being on hold for 5 minutes while she checked, told me the update DID start to go out on the 16th, not the 17th, and their are no delays. She said it is going out in phases, and I asked her about the "Delayed Status" we were all told about. She then put meon hold again and when she came back, said he had talked to a tech supervisor who confirmed the rollout started on the 16th in phases. Sooo, would be nice if someone else called VZW and see if they get the same answer..

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
People on the internet need to feel important... and if they won the Droid lotto with the 2.1 update you better believe the news would be everywhere. The guy on this forum that posted that he got the 2.1 update - complete B.S. Why would he post it, then come up with a crap excuse that he doesn't like how strict it is here so he's going elsewhere... come on guys, people that believe that are in LALA land. He's just pulling your chains, trying to get you eMad.
Oh, you're just talking about "Slinky, our Pet Troll".

He likes to come into posts, get annoyed at mod edits, then takes his ball and goes back under the bridge ... Harmless.

If I received the update, you can bet it all that I will personally throw it over to CK first, and allow them to decide whether or not to post it for all.

If it is a distribution issue, then leaking the damn file is only going to help, not hurt the situation, there will be a lower number of droids that they will actually have to push it out to, as a lot of them will come back reporting they have it.

KevinJ

Reaction score
richrcp;318914[SIZE=3 said:
][/SIZE]I agree with both of your statements but I beleive that Verizon has some serious Quality Control issues!!!!!!! I think most of us on the forums understand what it takes to roll out updates but vzw is really dropping the ball.

Did you happen to read any of the previous pages/posts from yesterday? It's not Verizon's fault this got delayed.

I think it should be required for people to actually read thread postings before spewing forth their own conspiracy theories.

My opinion only, of course. Well, at least I'm the only one saying it out loud.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Did you happen to read any of the previous pages/posts from yesterday? It's not Verizon's fault this got delayed.

I think it should be required for people to actually read thread postings before spewing forth their own conspiracy theories.

Verizon outsourced this distribution stuff, and we get our service from them. Ultimately the responsibility lies with them. Crap rolls uphill.

Either way, we'll get the update when we get the update. We could still be on 1.6.... It can always be worse.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
richrcp;318914[SIZE=3 said:
][/SIZE]I agree with both of your statements but I beleive that Verizon has some serious Quality Control issues!!!!!!! I think most of us on the forums understand what it takes to roll out updates but vzw is really dropping the ball.

In a manner of speaking, yes it is. Selecting a 3rd party distributor with no capability to handle the load is entirely a quality of service issue, and completely in Verizon's lap. (If that happens to be the case).

This supposed update has been in the works for over 6 months, and only now they find this out ??? Either true, or they are making this up to cover something else.

blue rocket

Official DF Vendor
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.grafixpressions.com
If everyone sits back and chills for just a quick minute you'd realize that VZW is just BS'ing everyone so they don't look like complete morons.

If 1000 updates were sent to random people... we would have the update.zip by now, as well as pictures of it and probably a video or two.

Trust me on this.... the update hasn't been pushed out to anyone,

So, would you like to recant this statment? Since VZW itself has said an update was pushed to 1000.

That being said...i don't think anyone here got it or we would all know by now.

No, what i'm saying is that statement by VZW is B.S. the update has not been pushed out to 1000 random people.

Erron

Developer
Developer
Reaction score

Verizon outsourced this distribution stuff, and we get our service from them. Ultimately the responsibility lies with them. Crap rolls uphill.

Either way, we'll get the update when we get the update. We could still be on 1.6.... It can always be worse.

Droids were never on 1.6. ;) Just playing I know what you are saying and I agree.

We could still be on 2.0. For those of us who remember it..it had it's fair share of problems.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
No, what i'm saying is that statement by VZW is B.S. the update has not been pushed out to 1000 random people.

Ehhh, maybe. If I were engineering a giant software distribution like this, then I'd only push it out to 1000 phones... I dont think they'd be random though, I think they'd be 1000 people who could report back to me and tell me the update worked...

Status
Not open for further replies.