$150 Lapdock 500

rlarson_mn

Reaction score
Guess I do not understand your point since the LapDock uses your device to access the network no hotspot is necessary and the dock charges your device when it's attached.

mcsoul

Reaction score
I was just wondering about the battery capability of the lapdock as a way of extending the use of the phone as a hotpot on camping trips or extended outings.

Kind of just viewing the lapdock as a big battery pack only as a comparable parameter to analyse it's value against existing battery only solutions(forgiving/ignoring it's size).

So I can say to myself the lapdock cost me $150, but I get $XX value as a battery pack alone PLUS it's other features. It's a curse of my job, always trying to quantify and develop cost/value metrics :D

Jxpinc

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I ordered the 500 on Friday and got it today 2/29. so much easier with a mouse.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Ed270

Reaction score
Took lapdock to work to try 4g and see if my touchpad problem was still present. Everyghing worked flawlessly! Touchpad is responding and 4g seems to be as fast as being hardwired to comcast

rlarson_mn

Reaction score
Took lapdock to work to try 4g and see if my touchpad problem was still present. Everyghing worked flawlessly! Touchpad is responding and 4g seems to be as fast as being hardwired to comcast

That's great to know. I think there may be a key that will temporarily turn off the touch pad while doing a lot of typing on the device at least there is on my original Transformer from Asus. Glad to hear about the 4G effect on the units speed. Now to wait until it comes to my area.

Last edited:

rlarson_mn

Reaction score
I was just wondering about the battery capability of the lapdock as a way of extending the use of the phone as a hotpot on camping trips or extended outings.

Kind of just viewing the lapdock as a big battery pack only as a comparable parameter to analyse it's value against existing battery only solutions(forgiving/ignoring it's size).

So I can say to myself the lapdock cost me $150, but I get $XX value as a battery pack alone PLUS it's other features. It's a curse of my job, always trying to quantify and develop cost/value metrics :D

Now I understand what your trying to get an answer for. What I can do to help is the tonight instead of connecting my phone to the AC charger I will just insert it into the LapDock 500 Pro and see how it does as a charger.

Ed270

Reaction score
rlarson_mn;[URL="tel:2037705" said:
2037705[/URL]]That's great to know. I think there may be a key that will temporarily turn off the touch pad while doing a lot of typing on the device at least there is on my original Transformer from Asus. Glad to hear about the 4G effect on the units speed. Now to wait until it comes to my area.

I have the OG transformer and love it. I looked through the available help and didn't find any function key to disable the trackpad. It can be disabled when you use the mouse. I tried a few phone calls and it used the phones speaker and not the lapdock's speakers I am not sure if I am missing a setting to toggle the lapdock to handle the calls

Last edited:

rlarson_mn

Reaction score
Ed270;[URL="tel:[URL="tel:2037732" said:
2037732[/URL]"]2037732[/URL]]I have the OG transformer and love it. I looked through the available help and didn't find any function key to disable the trackpad. It can be disabled when you use the mouse. I tried a few phone calls and it used the phones speaker and not the lapdock's speakers I am not sure if I am missing a setting to toggle the lapdock to handle the calls

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

your correct. Playing music from the phone listing goes through the docks speakers but a actual phone call does not. Not sure why but your correct. Your also correct about the stopping of the track pad when a mouse is connected. This is a sweat device for making sure you have a web access no matter where your at and provides a reasonable computer experience as long as you realize its android not IOS or Win7.

One more thing, by clicking and holding the left mouse button down while in the phone view window and moving left or right you get access to the next phone window, or while on the home screen click on the home screen button which shows all 5 of the screens and select one with the mouse.

Last edited:

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Gotta say this thing is pretty cool. Responding via Tapatalk while using an actual keyboard and 14" screen is pretty weird though. Still playing with it and learning all of the in's and out's.

Tap'd to the Maxx

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Gotta say this thing is pretty cool. Responding via Tapatalk while using an actual keyboard and 14" screen is pretty weird though. Still playing with it and learning all of the in's and out's.

Tap'd to the Maxx

Glad you are enjoying it...I miss mine :)...LOL

hoghunter

Reaction score
I love my lapdock...I'm selling my standard laptop..got mouse on the way!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

buck i

Reaction score
I still haven't gotten a lot of time to spend using my lapdock, but here are some first impressions:

Pros:
Weight - Very light! Much easier to carry than my old dinosaur of a laptop.
Internet Connectivity - Having access to the internet anywhere you go is great. I don't have 4G in my area, so I can't comment on it. I imagine that this thing flies on it though.
Keyboard - I love the full size keyboard. All of the function keys at the top of the keyboard are great.
Browser - A full-size browser makes reading all of my favorite websites that much easier.
Mobile View - It's great to pull up a virtual version of my phone and use all of its apps.

Neutral:
Screen - I like the size, but the screen looks a little washed out for me. HD playback seems decent.

Cons:
Construction - Being all plastic, it feels a little on the cheap size. I guess that's the tradeoff with the light weight.
Webtop Apps - I may be missing something, but the only apps I can find within the webtop itself are Firefox and a file explorer. There's an "Apps 4 Webtop" bookmark in the app tray, but all of the "apps" on the page just seem to be links to websites. For example, when you click the YouTube "app", it brings you to the website in Firefox. I'd love some type of native Office app. For now, I'm using Quickoffice Pro from my phone's mobile view expanded to full screen.
Trackpad - It can be a pain to use the trackpad, but I may just need to mess with the settings. I borrowed a friend's mouse to test it out, and it seemed to be MUCH smoother.

Overall, I like the lapdock. I don't know if I would have paid the full $300 for this, but I think that the $150 I did pay for it was worth it. The price I paid for the phone and lapdock is less than if I would have bought a netbook, and I think that this is a better experience than a netbook. I'm excited for the ICS update because I think the hardware acceleration of Android 4.0 will make this even faster.

As a side note, I wrote this mini-review on my lapdock. I would never even try to write something like this on my phone. :biggrin:

Last edited:

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
I still haven't gotten a lot of time to spend using my lapdock, but here are some first impressions:

Pros:
Weight - Very light! Much easier to carry than my old dinosaur of a laptop.
Internet Connectivity - Having access to the internet anywhere you go is great. I don't have 4G in my area, so I can't comment on it. I imagine that this thing flies on it though.
Keyboard - I love the full size keyboard. All of the function keys at the top of the keyboard are great.
Browser - A full-size browser makes reading all of my favorite websites that much easier.
Mobile View - It's great to pull up a virtual version of my phone and use all of its apps.

Neutral:
Screen - I like the size, but the screen looks a little washed out for me. HD playback seems decent.

Cons:
Construction - Being all plastic, it feels a little on the cheap size. I guess that's the tradeoff with the light weight.
Webtop Apps - I may be missing something, but the only apps I can find within the webtop itself are Firefox and a file explorer. There's an "Apps 4 Webtop" bookmark in the app tray, but all of the "apps" on the page just seem to be links to websites. For example, when you click the YouTube "app", it brings you to the website in Firefox. I'd love some type of native Office app. For now, I'm using Quickoffice Pro from my phone's mobile view expanded to full screen.
Trackpad - It can be a pain to use the trackpad, but I may just need to mess with the settings. I borrowed a friend's mouse to test it out, and it seemed to be MUCH smoother.

Overall, I like the lapdock. I don't know if I would have paid the full $300 for this, but I think that the $150 I did pay for it was worth it. The price I paid for the phone and lapdock is less than if I would have bought a netbook, and I think that this is a better experience than a netbook. I'm excited for the ICS update because I think the hardware acceleration of Android 4.0 will make this even faster.

As a side note, I wrote this min-review on my lapdock. I would never even try to write something like this on my phone. :biggrin:

Good write-up.

Overall, I like the lapdock. I don't know if I would have paid the full $300 for this, but I think that the $150 I did pay for it was worth it. The price I paid for the phone and lapdock is less than if I would have bought a netbook, and I think that this is a better experience than a netbook.

Pretty much sums up my feelings. No way I could constitute $300 for it. But it is a pretty good deal at $149.

2THEXTRM

Reaction score
Good to hear some positive reviews. 4 business days and my order still shows processing:(

Sent from my AXI0M AOKP using DroidForums

mleber

Reaction score
Good to hear some positive reviews. 4 business days and my order still shows processing:(

Sent from my AXI0M AOKP using DroidForums

Mine still showed processing as well but I noticed the Verizon site no longer has them back ordered so I called Verizon and they processed my order and it's shipping today. I'd recommend anyone who has an order stuck on back order try to call, as soon as I gave them my order number, they released for shipment. Good luck.