Lapdock 500 Webtop 3.0 Tips & Tricks

Fall

Reaction score
Gingerbread was just a starting point for the lapdocks and as such they operated like netbooks. Although Ice Cream Sandwich in my opinion is a fantastic upgrade there are still kinks to be done away with. Here some things to get you using your lapdock on a daily basis.

1. Adding wallpapers from your gallery simply doesn't work with the lapdock to get them to fit in frame use an application called Background Box HD which will let you change the size of the frame to match the lapdocks odd screen size.

2. If you want a seamless transition between your phones mobile and lapdock versions get rid of the majority widgets. This will make it a two second process between the two and wow your friends when it doesn't freeze up and die booting your lapdock widgets.

3. For some reason Motorola engineers messed up the camera functionality on the update by not allowing its use when docked. An app called ICS Camera not only is faster then your stock camera app its also better looking and allows you to use the camera when using your lapdock.

4. Pressing the Print screen button on your keyboard enables you to take a screenshot just like holding power and volume down buttons in mobile form.

5. Get a usb bluetooth mouse, now. I recommend the Microsoft Arc, amazing and only $30 on amazon.

6. Your audio jack on your lapdock does not allow the same output as your phones audio jack, so use the port on the phone instead.

7. Under trackpad settings you can disable it when a mouse is plugged in.

With this new update I have completely stopped using my home computer for anything besides maybe Diablo 3 :). With webtop 3.0 we are now able to use things like google drive, google music, youtube, navigation all in the way they were meant to be used and the results are pretty amazing. I hope they continue producing lapdocks for Motorola in the future.

If you need any non root questions on the lapdock answered feel free to leave a comment!!!

[email protected]

OP
Fall

Fall

Reaction score
Set up like this works really well, widget is called "one more clock widget"

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120805_101046.png
    ForumRunner_20120805_101046.png
    144.8 KB · Views: 835
  • ForumRunner_20120805_101110.png
    ForumRunner_20120805_101110.png
    393.7 KB · Views: 825
OP
Fall

Fall

Reaction score
Have fun with the icons.... lol

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120805_101631.png
    ForumRunner_20120805_101631.png
    143.3 KB · Views: 751
  • ForumRunner_20120805_101645.png
    ForumRunner_20120805_101645.png
    143.2 KB · Views: 683
  • ForumRunner_20120805_101709.png
    ForumRunner_20120805_101709.png
    142.2 KB · Views: 772

mleber

Reaction score
Fall said:
Gingerbread was just a starting point for the lapdocks and as such they operated like netbooks. Although Ice Cream Sandwich in my opinion is a fantastic upgrade there are still kinks to be done away with. Here some things to get you using your lapdock on a daily basis.

1. Adding wallpapers from your gallery simply doesn't work with the lapdock to get them to fit in frame use an application called Background Box HD which will let you change the size of the frame to match the lapdocks odd screen size.

2. If you want a seamless transition between your phones mobile and lapdock versions get rid of the majority widgets. This will make it a two second process between the two and wow your friends when it doesn't freeze up and die booting your lapdock widgets.

3. For some reason Motorola engineers messed up the camera functionality on the update by not allowing its use when docked. An app called ICS Camera not only is faster then your stock camera app its also better looking and allows you to use the camera when using your lapdock.

4. Pressing the Print screen button on your keyboard enables you to take a screenshot just like holding power and volume down buttons in mobile form.

5. Get a usb bluetooth mouse, now. I recommend the Microsoft Arc, amazing and only $30 on amazon.

6. Your audio jack on your lapdock does not allow the same output as your phones audio jack, so use the port on the phone instead.

7. Under trackpad settings you can disable it when a mouse is plugged in.

With this new update I have completely stopped using my home computer for anything besides maybe Diablo 3 :). With webtop 3.0 we are now able to use things like google drive, google music, youtube, navigation all in the way they were meant to be used and the results are pretty amazing. I hope they continue producing lapdocks for Motorola in the future.

If you need any non root questions on the lapdock answered feel free to leave a comment!!!

[email protected]

Hi, can you tell me where the trackpad settings are in webtop 3.0? I can't find it and this trackpad is so touchy it is putting my cursor wherever it wants as i type this and I sent a half written email to a customer tonite because somehow I hit send while trying to type! thanks. Ok, unplugged the phone, re-plugged back in and the mouse re-appeared and i was able to click on it and follow where to go disable the trackpad so I have solved that problem.

Do you have any issues connecting your phone to your lapdock? I have just figured out the only way I can connect is if I leave the lid closed, plug in the phone, then open lid and say a little prayer. This thing has just become really flaky since ICS. I see the functionality being a lot better, but only when it connects which doesn't happen every time.

OP
Fall

Fall

Reaction score
Connecting

I've elminated most of the widgets on my homescreen and my desktop and it literally boots right up after i plug it. The only widgets i use are the favorites bar and power control. that should fix your problems.

bocabean

Reaction score
Hey gang, i found a great app to use with the Lapdock if you want to connect to another computer. Forget about LogMeIn (which I was using until I found this one). Try PocketCloud. It is a bit tricky to set up, but once it is working, it makes the Lapdock essentially a true lapTOP! All that is missing is the CD drive. My wireless mouse and Bluetooth numeric keypad work great. Had to share this one.

jaybogg

Reaction score
Fall, not trying to hijack your thread but there was a sale the past few days on Lapdock 100's at VZW for $50 and several people on the forum bought some. I saw your thread and thought it would be the perfect place for us to discuss the 100, 500, and Webtop 3.0, since the devices are similar. I put an invite of on the "Droid News" sub forum with a link to your thread. Hopefully, there will be some interest and with enough people, we will be able to leverage our knowledge with a faster learning curve for all. Hope you don't mind and figured this was probably your original objective when you started this thread. I will be posting and asking questions for sure!!:biggrin:

TauntingBull

Reaction score
100 owner here... just looking to see if these tricks will work on my 100...

OP
Fall

Fall

Reaction score
Fall, not trying to hijack your thread but there was a sale the past few days on Lapdock 100's at VZW for $50 and several people on the forum bought some. I saw your thread and thought it would be the perfect place for us to discuss the 100, 500, and Webtop 3.0, since the devices are similar. I put an invite of on the "Droid News" sub forum with a link to your thread. Hopefully, there will be some interest and with enough people, we will be able to leverage our knowledge with a faster learning curve for all. Hope you don't mind and figured this was probably your original objective when you started this thread. I will be posting and asking questions for sure!!:biggrin:

Totally, haven't been able to find a very active lapdock community, as for compatibility I'm positive the same ideas will work on the 100 series ty dude

jaybogg

Reaction score
Totally, haven't been able to find a very active lapdock community, as for compatibility I'm positive the same ideas will work on the 100 series ty dude

Great! The hardware differences are there, but the common factor is Webtop 3.0, which I think will generate most questions and tips. I was reading on another thread, and a guy named bocabean mentioned success with a RDP program called Pocketcloud. I downloaded it discovered that Windows 7 Home Premium didn't support RDP, downloaded a patch, and tried to establish a connection. The program showed a connection, but all I could get on the Lapdock or phone by itself was a black screen. I started installing/uninstalling RDP programs from Playstore, and after 4-5 tries, voila', found one that worked for me. It was PC Remote. Cost $5 after 1 day trial, which I felt was fair. I now have complete access and control of my laptop from my lapdock. A feature not too attractive on a phone alone, but quite a different experience w/ the lapdock. Next goal is to try to set it up through internet and router firewall and will have access from anywhere.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Team viewer is a remote access app that lets you control your pc, laptop, or tablet from your phone or from any of the devices to the other. It is free and works amazing. I'm sure it would work with the lapdock too.

No Jaybogg, I haven't gone to get the lapdock yet. Taking care of my parents and when I have the time to get away, I'm frantically trying to get stuff done at my house... and I'm still debating if I would really use it because I have my tablet and because I'm getting the Razr M and I've read that the lapdock will not work with the R-M. Doesn't make sense that Motorola would do that for their new devices but I may just take the time to check that out when I get the phone in the mail.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

jaybogg

Reaction score
Team viewer is a remote access app that lets you control your pc, laptop, or tablet from your phone or from any of the devices to the other. It is free and works amazing. I'm sure it would work with the lapdock too.

No Jaybogg, I haven't gone to get the lapdock yet. Taking care of my parents and when I have the time to get away, I'm frantically trying to get stuff done at my house... and I'm still debating if I would really use it because I have my tablet and because I'm getting the Razr M and I've read that the lapdock will not work with the R-M. Doesn't make sense that Motorola would do that for their new devices but I may just take the time to check that out when I get the phone in the mail.

Sounds like you have put a lot of thought into it and if it doesn't work for your situation, it wouldn't make sense. I have almost a 11/2 yrs left on contract, unlimited data plan, its a perfect fit. I figured there was a compatibility issue or moto is dropping Webtop 3.0, or else they wouldn't be clearing these things out. Hopefully for you, there is a better product/software in the works for the new line-up of phones as I truly believe there is a niche for these devices. The ability to have internet on a netbook style device wherever you go is an unparalleled advantage. It negates the need for a wi-fi hotspot or a tethering plan ( :biggrin: ), everything is condoned by big brother, VZW, seeing as they sold it to me!

When I bought mine the saleslady tried the upgrade spiel, a wi-fi hotspot for dirt cheap w/ 5gb of data. I smiled at her and said that was the reason I was getting the lapdock, and why would I want to give up the unlimited plan for a device I didn't need. She pointed out multiple users, and I told her there was just me. She smiled and said she had to ask. She had a guy shadowing her so I think he was in training.

Hope all is well with your parents. My mom and dad came by for breakfast this morning and I am blessed they still have their health at 79 & 89 respectively.

pftwanger

Reaction score
Hey Tis and JB:

Tis, if you're really going to get a RAZR M soon then you're wise to wait for verification of compatibility. It's very possible that Moto has something else up their sleeves. Although it's easy enough to get extender cables to mate the HDMI and USB connections, that might not be the issue. We tend to forget that the Webtop application actually resides on a partition on the RAZR's primary internal SD card. It's very possible that they won't even include it on future RAZRs.

Food for thought:

Like you, I also have a tablet (Toshiba Excite 10). It's wireless only. What I am most thrilled about with the Lapdock is the idea that I can use it anywhere without worrying about finding a hotspot. The other great thing is the real keyboard, which makes e-mail and other document-intensive activities way better than doing them on the excite. When I finally replace the RAZR, I'll still have what amounts to an ICS tablet with a keyboard by using my RAZR on wi-fi--exactly the way I use the Excite 10 now. It's like getting a very well made wi-fi HD ICS tablet for $50.

JB and Tis: Like you, I'm devoting an unusually large amount of time with my parents these days. It sounds like we're in the same age demographic here!

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Wow, I suspected something was up when they started selling the 500 for $150 early this year, went out of stock within days and then they were never available again.

I would bet that there will be ways to utilize webtop on future phones and with JB by rooting your phone. This also explains why the Razr M and Razr HD's will not be compatible with the lapdocks. But again, I bet you could add webtop on them if rooted.

One question, does the lapdock connect via the micro USB/charging port or via the HDMI port? If through the micro USB, I still may get the lapdock with the idea that I might be able to use it on a rooted Razr M.