Lapdock 500 Webtop 3.0 Tips & Tricks

jaybogg

Reaction score
I using the Keyboard typing Chinese words by using MOTO input or Cedime app.

Thanks for the answer and welcome to Droid Forums!

@Ali_Best: I believe Sammykin125 has answered your question. Seems the Moto input can be configured for other languages or you can try the app he listed.

Ali_Best

Reaction score
I using the Keyboard typing Chinese words by using MOTO input or Cedime app.
thanks dear, it's true! :)
language settings of lapdock keyboard is there! and it shouldn't different from the phone
Thanks for the answer and welcome to Droid Forums!

@Ali_Best: I believe Sammykin125 has answered your question. Seems the Moto input can be configured for other languages or you can try the app he listed.
yes, it's true. and I thanks to you too! :)

So, I will order a lapdock 100 from amazon.com soon!

guys... there is yet a problem. and it's about different kinds of lapdock 100...
please see this link:
Amazon.com: Used and New: Motorola Lapdock 100 for Motorola Smartphones - Charger - Retail Packaging - Silver
there are 3 kinds of lapdock
new
used
Refurbished

what should I buy?
what is the difference between new and Refurbished? and which model you bought?

jaybogg

Reaction score
thanks dear, it's true! :)
language settings of lapdock keyboard is there! and it shouldn't different from the phone

yes, it's true. and I thanks to you too! :)

So, I will order a lapdock 100 from amazon.com soon!

guys... there is yet a problem. and it's about different kinds of lapdock 100...
please see this link:
Amazon.com: Used and New: Motorola Lapdock 100 for Motorola Smartphones - Charger - Retail Packaging - Silver
there are 3 kinds of lapdock
new
used
Refurbished

what should I buy?
what is the difference between new and Refurbished? and which model you bought?

New should be in an unopened retail box
Used could be in any condition, but would be expected to be in working order with minor blemishes if any at all.
Refurbished is a unit that has been returned to the manufacturer, they repair and or recondition it and it is sold as "like new", usually at a discount.

If you are in the US, I would suggest you look at your local Verizon store. They recently placed the Lapdock 100's on clearance for 50 dollars. That is the model I purchased.

bocabean

Reaction score
I am not surprised that this thread has become eerily stone cold. Not surprising in light of the not so shocking news that Google has officially killed off my relatively recent investment. For me, the only question is what the future now holds for my Razr Maxx in terms of future updates, i.e. JB, etc. I know that the newest Razr phones are no longer being released with Webtop software. My concern is whether or not it will still be accessible for my phone. If not, then I truly believe that I was sold a "bill of goods" by Verizon/Motorola/Google and rest assured I will not let this matter die without seeking some form of compensation. The audacity to have sold me a what at that time, probably known by the trio to have already been slated to become expensive bricks. I see a Samsung in my future...perhaps, or maybe even a Windows device.

EA.Droyd

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo, 64GB
Ok, I have a question about the lapdock 500, how is the camera on it activated? I've tried to turn on the camera from the app tray and it
won't work, neither phone or lapdock.
Anyone have any ideas?

Woo Hoo, my one hundredth post.
dancedroid

jaybogg

Reaction score
Ok, I have a question about the lapdock 500, how is the camera on it activated? I've tried to turn on the camera from the app tray and it
won't work, neither phone or lapdock.
Anyone have any ideas?

Woo Hoo, my one hundredth post.
dancedroid

Congrats on the 100th post!! I have been away for awhile, sorry, I don't have a 500 so can't answer your question. This will give it a bump and see if anyone chimes in.

pftwanger

Reaction score
I am not surprised that this thread has become eerily stone cold. Not surprising in light of the not so shocking news that Google has officially killed off my relatively recent investment. For me, the only question is what the future now holds for my Razr Maxx in terms of future updates, i.e. JB, etc. I know that the newest Razr phones are no longer being released with Webtop software. My concern is whether or not it will still be accessible for my phone. If not, then I truly believe that I was sold a "bill of goods" by Verizon/Motorola/Google and rest assured I will not let this matter die without seeking some form of compensation. The audacity to have sold me a what at that time, probably known by the trio to have already been slated to become expensive bricks. I see a Samsung in my future...perhaps, or maybe even a Windows device.

Hi Boca:
For those of us who only paid $50 it wasn't such a bad deal, but if I remember correctly you paid more, so please let us know if you get any satisfaction. On a happier note, I saw on the Phandroid forum today that Moto has committed to Jelly Bean on the original Razr/Razr Maxx. We'll have to watch carefully to be sure the upgrade retains webtop. I expect it will, but we'll want to be careful!

jaybogg

Reaction score
Hi Boca:
For those of us who only paid $50 it wasn't such a bad deal, but if I remember correctly you paid more, so please let us know if you get any satisfaction. On a happier note, I saw on the Phandroid forum today that Moto has committed to Jelly Bean on the original Razr/Razr Maxx. We'll have to watch carefully to be sure the upgrade retains webtop. I expect it will, but we'll want to be careful!

I feel the same way you do. We know there will be no webtop for the new devices, but I think they will continue to include it on the legacy devices it was originally meant for. I would be highly surprised if they sold all these accessories at fire sale prices and then made them useless through a software update weeks/months later. Stranger things have happened though. Hard to believe we can refer to these phones as "legacy" devices so soon! I have a year and and a few months left on my contract and due to financials, my Razr will be with me as I cannot afford to update to the latest, greatest, every time one comes out. Plus, I am quite happy with my Razr!!

pftwanger

Reaction score
Jaybogg: Like you, I plan on riding the original RAZR for a long time. First of all, I have at least 12 months on my contract. Plus, the Lapdock 100 is going to keep me entertained for quite some time (it makes our RAZR an HD with a maxx size battery, btw.) But most important of all, I have the unlimited data plan. The only way to keep it is to pay full price for my next phone upgrade--no subsidized price. I predict I'll be liking the Lapdock for as long as I possibly can!

jaybogg

Reaction score
Question: Does the screen of the Lapdock 100 have to be up/open for the battery charge function to operate? I believe it does. My Lapdock was laying on the desk, closed, last night and instead of plugging my phone up to my HD dock I use on my nightstand I plugged it up to the lapdock without opening the screen. I received a phone call this morning, pulled it off the tether and answered using speakerphone. I nearly freaked seeing the red light flashing, phone reported 5% power. I quickly ended the call, opened the lapdock screen, and tethered the phone, it immediately started charging. Only difference on my part was opening the screen and waking up the lapdock. Anyone else had any experience with this?

pftwanger

Reaction score
Hi JB

Whenever I shut the screen after using the dock it continues to charge. I've never tried just connecting without running a live session first. Like you I assumed it would charge. Your experience makes me want to double check.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid Forums

Ali_Best

Reaction score
hi to all...

friends, do you flash ubuntop or gnomi on the phone for lapdock?
how is it?

jaybogg

Reaction score
hi to all...

friends, do you flash ubuntop or gnomi on the phone for lapdock?
how is it?

I just plug the phone to the lapdock and it invokes Webtop 3.0. I notice you list your device as a Razr XT910. Is this the international version? I am unfamiliar with this device and whether Webtop 3.0 comes with it. Seems I remember reading something about the programs you mention above when there was a linux partition on these devices (XT912) under Gingerbread. I believe that ability went away with ICS for the XT912 devices here in the US.

Ali_Best

Reaction score
I just plug the phone to the lapdock and it invokes Webtop 3.0. I notice you list your device as a Razr XT910. Is this the international version? I am unfamiliar with this device and whether Webtop 3.0 comes with it. Seems I remember reading something about the programs you mention above when there was a linux partition on these devices (XT912) under Gingerbread. I believe that ability went away with ICS for the XT912 devices here in the US.

yes, i have the ics on my device and webtop 3.0
yes, webtop on the phone in ics is changed to tablet mode, Nevertheless you can flash ubuntop or gnomi on the device!
Indeed, motorola put 2 OS on this device: 1 - ICS for phone, 2 - webtop for large screen such az lapdock or TV with HDMI cable......

bocabean

Reaction score
Lapdock 500 Front Camera.pngCamera Not Supported.png So has anyone figured out a way to get the front facing camera to work with 3.0? Motorola's help file says it will work with the Lapdock 500, but my phone seems to think otherwise. Any thoughts? pftwanger: I am still happy with my dock. I use it every day, primarily for connecting via RDP to another Windows PC, which makes the dock a virtual PC itself. Running it with WiFi causes no loss in speed for me at all and I can still take phone calls. I watched a video via the Dolphin Browser (with Flash) about the new Chrome books. Needless to say, that I think that I have the better setup. I believe that those that never got on the dock band wagen will someday regret it and be very jealous of those of us who did, notwithstanding the few kinks here and there.