Lapdock 500 Webtop 3.0 Tips & Tricks

jaybogg

Reaction score
@EA.Droid: I don't own a 500 so I can't really help your latest questions other than operationally, they both depend on your phone and Webtop for their processing/Apps. I have tried to find out details about the battery in the 100 and have found nothing so far.

@Everyone: I know we are all concerned about the support we will get and for those that paid full price, I can really understand their displeasure. It is My OPINION, and thats all it is, that we will see Webtop continue to be part of any ICS updates/JB upgrades, for the phones that the lapdocks were officially made for. I can fully understand no Webtop for the new line of phones announced. I also doubt their will be any updates to Webtop itself or much support of the Lapdocks for that matter. The reason for my opinion is because for the few phones that officially lapdock compatible, I think Google/Moto will put forth the minimal effort to continue Webtop from a "good business practice" aspect. Maybe I am gullible. Remember that everyone who has purchased HD Docks and HD Stations also have Webtop capability and were sold these devices with the understanding they also would have Webtop. Thats MY OPINION, and I hope I am not proven wrong, although it wouldn't be the first time!!:biggrin:

@bocabean: I actually don't watch many videos unless they are a link to something I am researching. It is my understanding that Chrome doesn't support flash, but you can always enjoy the best of both. Make one your default and use the other when more appropriate. Just a thought. Enjoy your vacation!

EA.Droyd

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo, 64GB
Anyone have an idea for a work around for the lack of HDMI output support for HBO-GO and MAX-GO on the lapdock? I tried it as I thought it would nice to not have to view it only on RAZR's screen. I don't understand why it won't work, I don't believe it's even possible to record from the HDMI standard. Not even TWC will play out of it, just the phones screen. It will play movies that I placed on the sd card however.

Any ideas? Anyone?

jaybogg

Reaction score
Anyone have an idea for a work around for the lack of HDMI output support for HBO-GO and MAX-GO on the lapdock? I tried it as I thought it would nice to not have to view it only on RAZR's screen. I don't understand why it won't work, I don't believe it's even possible to record from the HDMI standard. Not even TWC will play out of it, just the phones screen. It will play movies that I placed on the sd card however.

Any ideas? Anyone?

I don't fully understand the feature, but have you tried to force it to Webtop using the 4 arrowed icon on the bottom that is supposed to switch the lapdock from phone mode to Webtop mode? Don't know if it will work in this case but worth a try.

EA.Droyd

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo, 64GB
I'll give it a try. I think the content providers have put a stop to the HDMI output and has it restricted to the host device only. If anyone has any other ideas, let me know. Could be a legality thing and I don't want to cross that line.

Ali_Best

Reaction score
hi guys,

I have a motorola RAZR, and I want to buy a lapdock 100 for it
but i have a question about it...

can a lapdock 100 support other language except english? such az persian/arabic/...?
Can I choose swype keyboard on it? (on Swype I can choose other lang...)

thanks

EA.Droyd

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo, 64GB
hi guys,

I have a motorola RAZR, and I want to buy a lapdock 100 for it
but i have a question about it...

can a lapdock 100 support other language except english? such az persian/arabic/...?
Can I choose swype keyboard on it? (on Swype I can choose other lang...)

thanks
Hello and welcome to the forum.
I'm quite sure it will display any language that the RAZR will support. However, the keyboard is a physical QWERTY type, so no swype won't work. I think you'll find the lapdock very useful if you can adjust to the keyboards limitations for what you're looking for.
I hope this was of some help to you. Perhaps someone of more knowledge can chime in and offer more assistance to you.

bocabean

Reaction score
To be precise in my process for purchasing everything, I started at the Verizon store where I did in fact see everything demo'd for me. Having done that, I have a very good business relationship with someone that is a fully authorized Verizon distributor. That is all that his store sells. I found what I wanted in the corporate VZW stores and then notified my friend to order the Maxx. So technically, it was purchased brand new through an authorized Verizon dealer. With respect to the Dock, I was close to dropping the full price on line with Moto not that long ago when I found the 500 Pro on sale through Ebay. Paid $225, received it in excellent condition and I was further able to register it with Moto for the warranty. $225 seemed a lot better at the time than $350. Further, I did not want to have to figure out how to cut, shave, or whatever to cables to make the phone fit the Atrix.

I have no regrets on how I made my purchases, and as for me, they were both good deals at the times that I made them. Assuming that future updates for ICS on the Razr Maxx continue to support the current version of Webtop, I should be OK. More than anything, I am using the device with RDP to other computers where I can enjoy Win 7, XP, or whatever is running on those machines. And as long as I am using my BT earphone and WiFi, I can talk and RDP all that I want. Also, I have not caved in and given up my unlimited data plan as of yet.

I have run my phone/dock combination right along side of my Toshiba netbook (which runs Win 7) and there is no question that the dock is far superior in every possible way. Having the 14" screen was a major home run. I am a CPA and I do a decent amount of work "in the field". The only reason that I am stating this info is in case the Google/Moto folks are paying attention to people that use these devices for a living. IMHO they have bailed on us way too soon. Now you will have to excuse me so that I can find my legal counsel's phone number.

Ali_Best

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
I'm quite sure it will display any language that the RAZR will support. However, the keyboard is a physical QWERTY type, so no swype won't work. I think you'll find the lapdock very useful if you can adjust to the keyboards limitations for what you're looking for.
I hope this was of some help to you. Perhaps someone of more knowledge can chime in and offer more assistance to you.

thanks dear,

do you have a lapdock?
can you test that can QWERTY keyboard type other languages such as persian/arabic...?

please go to this site with the device :
نارنجی
(this site is in persian language, you should see the site this way: http://aksup.ir/images/8tufa3r97m9as4cy89o6.jpg)
do you can see letters correctly? or you see Squares instead of letters?!

anyone else can test and help me, i very very thanks to him! :) :X

jaybogg

Reaction score
thanks dear,

do you have a lapdock?
can you test that can QWERTY keyboard type other languages such as persian/arabic...?

please go to this site with the device :
نارنجی
(this site is in persian language, you should see the site this way: http://aksup.ir/images/8tufa3r97m9as4cy89o6.jpg)
do you can see letters correctly? or you see Squares instead of letters?!

anyone else can test and help me, i very very thanks to him! :) :X

Using Google Chrome with a Razr docked to a lapdock 100, the page appears in Persian The very top left advertisement reported that the plug-in used was not supported by chrome, the rest of the page displayed fine. That plug-in would be a conflict between chrome and the plug-in and have nothing to do with the persian language. This being said, yes, it appears in the persian language. Another browser probably would have no problem dispaying the single advertisement that my browser had trouble with. Hope this helps.

Ali_Best

Reaction score
Using Google Chrome with a Razr docked to a lapdock 100, the page appears in Persian The very top left advertisement reported that the plug-in used was not supported by chrome, the rest of the page displayed fine. That plug-in would be a conflict between chrome and the plug-in and have nothing to do with the persian language. This being said, yes, it appears in the persian language. Another browser probably would have no problem dispaying the single advertisement that my browser had trouble with. Hope this helps.

thanks sir,
yes, it's useful for me!

but, there is yet a question!
and it's about typing... can you type with QWERTY keyboard in other languages?
can you take a pic from the menu of language changing? (is there arabic/persian lang there?!)

thanks again :)

Sammykin125

Reaction score
hi bros.
Just wanna to say hi to everybody.
I got the Lapdock 500 last night.
any reminder for my by using this?

just go though some comments.
seems webtop 3.0 is smooth the 2.0 very much?

1) can we use the lapdock webcam with app?(like Tango)
Thank you very much!

jaybogg

Reaction score
hi bros.
Just wanna to say hi to everybody.
I got the Lapdock 500 last night.
any reminder for my by using this?

just go though some comments.
seems webtop 3.0 is smooth the 2.0 very much?

1) can we use the lapdock webcam with app?(like Tango)
Thank you very much!

Welcome to Droid Forums and congrats on your purchase. If your Razr is on Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0.4), Webtop 2.0 is not an option. My understanding is that there was a linux partition in Gingerbread for the Webtop 2.0 application which allowed it to run the Firefox browser. This was done away with in the ICS/Webtop 3.0 upgrade for our phones. I have a lapdock 100 and was unaware that the 500 had a webcam so one of the 500 owners will have to address this portion of your question. Feel free to post any tips or tricks you discover as you learn your 500, as most of us here are new owners and learning our devices as well. Welcome again to the forums.

Ali_Best

Reaction score
can anybody help me about this?:

thanks sir,
yes, it's useful for me!

but, there is yet a question!
and it's about typing... can you type with QWERTY keyboard in other languages?
can you take a pic from the menu of language changing? (is there arabic/persian lang there?!)

thanks again :)

jaybogg

Reaction score
can anybody help me about this?:

I truly don't know the answer. I am not sure if the lapdock keyboard is Webtop driven or driven by the base phone device. I would advise going into settings and poking around and see what you can find.