Lapdock 500 just became useless.

muddyrabbit

Reaction score
We have a lapdock 500 for our business, for quite a while it was an excellent solution. We have a motorcycle shop, and we keep the lapdock on the counter, whichever one of us is there docks our phone into it. We got it because we do all our ordering with distributors on secure websites, and we use quickbooks online for accounting/invoicing/receipts. This saved us the expense of having a landline just to have internet access at the store. We use our cell phones for everything, so this was great for months. Here's the problem. The secure sites from our distributors and Quickbooks require you to be using the latest version of the web browser you are on. When an updated version of Firefox was released, we can't access those sites on the lapdock until the version of Firefox on the Lapdock is updated. I couldn't figure out how to do it, so called verizon, who handed me off to Motorola, who eventually admitted there is NO way to update the version of Firefox on the Lapdock. Seriously? Who builds a mobile device with no way to update the software?

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Welcome to the forums muddyrabbit. That does not seem right at all, especially given the expense of the lapdock. Makes me think twice about getting one. Sometimes if you call again another rep is able to help when the first one was not. I cannot imagine that they would drop the ball on their latest and greatest lapdock like that. Keep trying.

Maybe someone on here has a work around. It seems like it should be possible to update.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Welcome to the droid forums :) like Tis said... hopefully there's a work around.. or perhaps you my have to switch browsers......

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

OP
M

muddyrabbit

Reaction score
Welcome to the droid forums :) like Tis said... hopefully there's a work around.. or perhaps you my have to switch browsers......

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

The Lapdocks are not designed to have any software installed, so there is no way to switch browsers. You can install different browsers on the phone, but the version of Firefox on the lapdock is all you get.

lindmxm

Reaction score
I have a slightly different problem with my Lapdock 500. I purchased the Otterbox Defender protective case and put it on my Droid Razr Maxx. Now I find that with the hard plastic case on, I can't connect the Lapdock HDMI/USB connection wire end from the Lapdock to the phone, there's just not enough room on the Defender case to attach the Lapdock connector. I could probably try to shave off the hard plastic that interferes with the plug, but then there would'nt be any place for the protective rubber cover to snap into. Has anyone else have this problem? Is there some other way to make the connection between the Lapdock and phone?
I can use the Lapdock connector only if I take the hard plastic casing off, this isn't the easiest thing to do. Any suggestions will truly be appreciated.

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
The Lapdocks are not designed to have any software installed, so there is no way to switch browsers. You can install different browsers on the phone, but the version of Firefox on the lapdock is all you get.

You can access browsers that you install on your phone thru your installed apps...you might give Maxathon or Dolphin HD a try and see if that works for you...I would suggest Chrome as well but I am not sure how it works with the D4 / older version of webtop.

When ICS is released, the webtop update does away with Firefox as the "sole" browser option - you use what is installed on your phone.

And welcome to the forum, hope you are able to find a work around.

Reaction score
I have a slightly different problem with my Lapdock 500. I purchased the Otterbox Defender protective case and put it on my Droid Razr Maxx. Now I find that with the hard plastic case on, I can't connect the Lapdock HDMI/USB connection wire end from the Lapdock to the phone, there's just not enough room on the Defender case to attach the Lapdock connector. I could probably try to shave off the hard plastic that interferes with the plug, but then there would'nt be any place for the protective rubber cover to snap into. Has anyone else have this problem? Is there some other way to make the connection between the Lapdock and phone?
I can use the Lapdock connector only if I take the hard plastic casing off, this isn't the easiest thing to do. Any suggestions will truly be appreciated.

This is s problem for several cases, the connector just doesn't fit. As a work around, you can purchase individual extenders to attach to the lap dock connector and plug into your phone.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Purple Tapatalk 2

lindmxm

Reaction score
Sorry I'm so uninformed with anything computer related, so could you be more specific with what exactly i'd have to ask for.
You mentioned "As a work around, you can purchase individual extenders to attach to the lap dock connector and plug into your phone."
Where would I get these "Extenders" that you mention, and is this exactly what i would ask for?
Thanks again for your help.