Lapdock 500 Webtop 3.0 Tips & Tricks

jaybogg

Reaction score
Wow, I suspected something was up when they started selling the 500 for $150 early this year, went out of stock within days and then they were never available again.

I would bet that there will be ways to utilize webtop on future phones and with JB by rooting your phone. This also explains why the Razr M and Razr HD's will not be compatible with the lapdocks. But again, I bet you could add webtop on them if rooted.

One question, does the lapdock connect via the micro USB/charging port or via the HDMI port? If through the micro USB, I still may get the lapdock with the idea that I might be able to use it on a rooted Razr M.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

It uses the dual connection like the car docks and HD docks. One cable with two fixed jacks that connects to both ports. I am rooted and also am wondering if I loaded webtop on Jellybean if it would work, or is tied to ICS. I have read that Jb is like a layer on top of the ICS kernel so it may not matter. As for the ability to connect, I saw a video on Youtube of someone running webtop rooted and aparently, all he was hooking up was the HDMI cable. That's about all I know so far, hope it helps ya Tis.

pftwanger

Reaction score
Guys, all you need to run webtop is a micro-HDMI to HDMI cable. I've done it on my high-def TV several times. No Lapdock or HD Dock required, although I own both, BTW. JB, I've got to read the link you posted. That story answers our pricing questions, for sure. My suspicion is that they realized that it was eating into possible future tablet sales.

Speaking as a guy who never throws out his old stuff--my OG Droid is serving as my wi-fi "Ipod killer" these days--I have every intention of continuing to use my OG RAZR as an ICS "tablet with a keyboard" long after the RAZR itself is discontinued.

I'm stuck at Miami airport right now on an 8-hour layover and using it to type this response.

brom

Reaction score
I use the bionic dock and run xbmc for android on it and use my OG droid as remote its a cool setup for sure.
I also use Paragon NTFS&HFS+ app to use more usb flash drives and usb Hard Drives.
Super Video & Floating Browser apps are also very nice... these let you watch videos and surf the web and the same time.
(I hate the floating browser icon :mad:)

Thanks for the hint about widgets....

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

pftwanger

Reaction score
Brom, now you're just showing off!

JB, I just read that very well written article. The site is now on my bookmark list Great find. Thanks!

NCCamper

Reaction score
Hi,
I called all the local VZW stores around here, and they are all out of the Lapdock 100. One store did find one in a store in a city 60 miles away, and are having it shipped there by Thursday. I guess I was just in time to get in on the $50 deal. I have a Razr Maxx with ICS. Should I expect any problems with Webtop 3.0? I see where some have big problems with 2.0 vs 3.0, and others think it is great. Also, I wonder if these will still work after the eventual JB upgrade?

Thanks,
John

brom

Reaction score
Brom, now you're just showing off!

JB, I just read that very well written article. The site is now on my bookmark list Great find. Thanks!

One more thing you can do I have a Microsoft USB lifecam and it works for Skype.. lol that's all I am done showing off :D

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

bocabean

Reaction score
Jaybogg,

I must apologize about the Home Premium thing. There is actually another way that PocketCloud can work with Home Premium, I think that it is VNC. In any event, I also have another computer that runs Home Premium, however I have given up on it, not because of Home Premium, but because of Norton 360. The Firewall/AV program simply will not allow PC to function, even though the PC guys keep trying to have me attempt to do different things. I guess that the non-functionality may not be sitting well with their new owners...DELL!

Well it hasn't made me especially happy either. It does work fine on Win 7 Pro. Nevertheless, I hope that PC Remote is doing the job for you.

Now my larger concern is what exactly is going on with Google, Motororola, Verizon, etc. with respect to Webtop 3.0? I am reading that it is going away, but what is going to replace it? I am really starting to get nervous and PO'ed because less than three months ago I walked into a Verizon owned store, saw the Razr Maxx and the Lapdock 500 and thought that they were the perfect solution for what I needed. Before I could even get started, some of the functionality that was demonstrated in the store disappeared with the birth of ICS/3.0 Webtop. So what's up with this kind of promotion? Am I the only one that is afraid that I spent money on a soon to be boat anchor? I get the feeling sometimes that having bought a smart phone way back when was a dumb idea. One can almost see the obsolescence dripping off of devices as they sit on display in store shelves.

thebeeobee

Reaction score
I was lucky enough to get a lapdock 100 today!

The trackad is a nightmare...that's basically my only fault with it. Someone mentioned the "trackpad settings" on the 500...do these also exist on the 100? Where can I access those settings?

So far, very pleased! Thanks for any help!

EDIT: Found the settings under Languages & Input. Changing the trackpad speed made a huge difference.

2nd EDIT: Finally tried a mouse...such a huge difference! Scrolling is really janky with the trackpad...with a mouse, things are so much smoother. So happy getting the Lapdock for $50.

jaybogg

Reaction score
Guys, all you need to run webtop is a micro-HDMI to HDMI cable. I've done it on my high-def TV several times. No Lapdock or HD Dock required, although I own both, BTW. JB, I've got to read the link you posted. That story answers our pricing questions, for sure. My suspicion is that they realized that it was eating into possible future tablet sales.

Speaking as a guy who never throws out his old stuff--my OG Droid is serving as my wi-fi "Ipod killer" these days--I have every intention of continuing to use my OG RAZR as an ICS "tablet with a keyboard" long after the RAZR itself is discontinued.

I'm stuck at Miami airport right now on an 8-hour layover and using it to type this response.

I've done various google searches on Webtop 3.0 and there is surprisingly very little about it other than the press releases and previews from Apr-Jul this year which all read about the same, very generic and little detail. I too hang on to way too much, but I think this was a good find from my initial impressions. More reason I feel we will have to support each other as I predict these devices will have niche following very quickly

jaybogg

Reaction score
Jaybogg,

I must apologize about the Home Premium thing. There is actually another way that PocketCloud can work with Home Premium, I think that it is VNC. In any event, I also have another computer that runs Home Premium, however I have given up on it, not because of Home Premium, but because of Norton 360. The Firewall/AV program simply will not allow PC to function, even though the PC guys keep trying to have me attempt to do different things. I guess that the non-functionality may not be sitting well with their new owners...DELL!

Well it hasn't made me especially happy either. It does work fine on Win 7 Pro. Nevertheless, I hope that PC Remote is doing the job for you.

Now my larger concern is what exactly is going on with Google, Motororola, Verizon, etc. with respect to Webtop 3.0? I am reading that it is going away, but what is going to replace it? I am really starting to get nervous and PO'ed because less than three months ago I walked into a Verizon owned store, saw the Razr Maxx and the Lapdock 500 and thought that they were the perfect solution for what I needed. Before I could even get started, some of the functionality that was demonstrated in the store disappeared with the birth of ICS/3.0 Webtop. So what's up with this kind of promotion? Am I the only one that is afraid that I spent money on a soon to be boat anchor? I get the feeling sometimes that having bought a smart phone way back when was a dumb idea. One can almost see the obsolescence dripping off of devices as they sit on display in store shelves.

Bocabean, glad you found the thread. When I tried Pocketcloud , I tried both RDP and VNC. Pocketcloud recognized both, VNC would hang up and never close, RDP opened and closed, but both gave black screens. Mighta been Kaspersky, although I disabled the firewall while trying to bring Pocketcloud up. In reponse to your concern in Webtop 3.0 going away. I am happy with what it does, no other device does this for the same price, and if you enjoy it, ride that horse til it drops! That's my plans. Android devices have keyboards, they have Wi-Fi and they have telephony, but how many have it all and a 10-14" screen, or a ~4" screen if they need ultimate portability? I say embrace it and enjoy it and watch while in the next year or so devices come out that have all the features you have been enjoying all along. Just my opinion.

Edit: In ref to Google, Moto, and VZW, I think we will see webtop 3.0 remain on JB for the original devices, and probably left off the newer ones coming out. I don't expect any updates to 3.0. Once again, just my opinion! In ref to changes in 2.0 to 3.0, I didn't experience much of 2.0 before going to 3.0.

In my research for 3.0, I noticed most professional reviews considered it a great step up from 2.0 and users who had grown accustomed to 2.0 hated 3.0, because the linux partition and Foxfire browser were dropped. The professional reviews said 3.0 was hands down faster using the ICS stock browser or chrome. Not here to debate because I honestly have no experience, just relaying what I have read.

bocabean

Reaction score
JB,

Thanks for the understanding. I agree with essentially everything that you said. As I am typing this on my laptop, my 500 is along side me running PocketCloud and attached to yet another computer. It's great that it stays online (I suppose through the WiFi) while I just took a call from my wife, using my BT earpiece. Yep, I don't see this type of set up anywhere with an Apple. Well I suppose that, you could also use some form of RDP on an iPad, along with a BT connector, but what about all of the other functions on the dock such as HDMI, ethernet, SD card, mouse, etc.

Maybe the fact that people raced to gobble up the reduced price docks should tell Google that there is definitely a demand for this configuration and that it may just be a matter of price points. At the risk of being repetitive, I just don't want to continue to feel that I was mislead by the combination of VZW, Moto and Google by having walked into a store only 3 months earlier to purchase something that now has a very uncertain future. It is very frustrating. I am certainly glad that I didn't try to run out and get the latest Razr, given that the Webtop sw is now MIA. If we stay put on ICS, at least we know that the devices will continue to function.

bocabean

Reaction score
Here's a new question. I wanted to try using an external 32G SD card in the dock. It is a sandisk that comes preformatted to fat32. When I insert it into the dock, a several moments, the dock recognizes it and shows that it is mounted in what I would call the system tray equivalent (maybe notification area?) on the screen.

It comes up with an exclaimation point in the center of the card image. I have unmounted it, put it into my laptop and copied over a couple of files. I then have put the card back into the dock.

I am using the most recent version of Astro File Manager. I cannot seem to locate the card/files. Any suggestions?

SnoDrtRider

Reaction score
Here's a new question. I wanted to try using an external 32G SD card in the dock. It is a sandisk that comes preformatted to fat32. When I insert it into the dock, a several moments, the dock recognizes it and shows that it is mounted in what I would call the system tray equivalent (maybe notification area?) on the screen.

It comes up with an exclaimation point in the center of the card image. I have unmounted it, put it into my laptop and copied over a couple of files. I then have put the card back into the dock.

I am using the most recent version of Astro File Manager. I cannot seem to locate the card/files. Any suggestions?

I put a bunch of photos on an SD card to try on my Lapdock and it was a PITA but I did find them... sorry I just don't remember what I did to locate them. Using a USB drive works much better/easier IMO.

bocabean

Reaction score
Makes no sense to me. Using the stock "My Files" app (which when opens, reads as "File Manager") lists the following on the dock:

Internal phone storage
SD card
Shared folders
Motocast Computers
USB drive 5

Oddly enough, 32g SD card inserted into the dock's slot shows up under USB drive 5. Of course, wouldn't everyone think to look there first? I would have thought perhaps one of the other non-existent USB drives, maybe number 4, 3, or 2.

Using the newest version of Astro File Manager, you first have to go locations and then the /mnt folder. My folder choices there are:

asec
obb
sdcard
sdcard-ext
secure
usbdisk_1.0
usbdisk_1.1
usbdisk_1.1.1
usbdisk_1.2
usbdisk_1.3
usbdisk_1.4
usbdisk_1.5
usbdisk_1.6
usbdisk_1.7

Well of course I found my files under usbdisk_1.4. So what are all of the other useless empty folders for and how did they get there?:blink:

jaybogg

Reaction score
Makes no sense to me. Using the stock "My Files" app (which when opens, reads as "File Manager") lists the following on the dock:

Internal phone storage
SD card
Shared folders
Motocast Computers
USB drive 5

Oddly enough, 32g SD card inserted into the dock's slot shows up under USB drive 5. Of course, wouldn't everyone think to look there first? I would have thought perhaps one of the other non-existent USB drives, maybe number 4, 3, or 2.

Using the newest version of Astro File Manager, you first have to go locations and then the /mnt folder. My folder choices there are:

asec
obb
sdcard
sdcard-ext
secure
usbdisk_1.0
usbdisk_1.1
usbdisk_1.1.1
usbdisk_1.2
usbdisk_1.3
usbdisk_1.4
usbdisk_1.5
usbdisk_1.6
usbdisk_1.7

Well of course I found my files under usbdisk_1.4. So what are all of the other useless empty folders for and how did they get there?:blink:

Funny you ask. I just tried to replicate your first post and had a similar experience. I am on the 100, so SD's are not an option, so I inserted a USB stick, first time ever on the dock. I got a couple weird notifications,. And then the icon of a SD card disappeared. I decided to try and explore it out with stock apps, so I went to settings, storage, and there was a list of usb devices about as long as yours. All were greyed out but one, number 1.2 was in white lettering so I clicked on it and it mounted. I then backed out of settings and went to stock app "my files" and the usb card and all files were there. As for why all the occurrences of USB cards being reported, I don't know but if it isn't causing a problem for me, I will probably live with it, occasionally try to see if I can modulate the problem, and of course, keep checking this thread to see if anyone else figures it out!!