$150 Lapdock 500

rlarson_mn

Reaction score
Great review ! I don't have 4g at my house either. But have 5 bars 4 g at work (8 miles away). May try to take to work tomorrow to try 4 g

Very cool, that would be a truer test of the devices speed than my 3G experience.

buck i

Reaction score
I placed my order at about 6:30 PM EST on Friday and received my lapdock today. I only got to play around with it for about 20 minutes before I had to go to work. I'll use it some more this evening before posting my thoughts on it.

mcsoul

Reaction score
rlarson_mn- Great review and thank you!

How is the HD video file playback?
Have you tried a USB flash drive?
Have/Could you tried/try a logitech wireless USB mouse?

rlarson_mn

Reaction score
mcsoul;[URL="tel:[URL="tel:2036831" said:
2036831[/URL]"]2036831[/URL]]rlarson_mn- Great review and thank you!

How is the HD video file playback?
Have you tried a USB flash drive?
Have/Could you tried/try a logitech wireless USB mouse?

The USB mouse I use is a wireless optical Logitech mouse which worked in either USB port. The 16gb memory stick works fine. I tried a external 250gb SATA hard drive using the USB connection. The system recognized the drive was connected but would not recognize the format the drive was in, that being NTFS.The memory card and SD memory card were both in FAT 32 formate which worked just fine. HD playback is of course dependent upon the connection speed. While using my wired home network connection playback both from the web as well as YouTube is fine. Using the 3G Verizon network in my area was not. Wifi was acceptable but at time choppy with some lagging experienced.

Jxpinc

Reaction score
how do i view netflix on the lapdock 500? It says i cant view instantly and need firefox 3 help appreciated also any knowledge on how to run spotify through the browser instead of my phone? thank thank thank you

mattlgroff

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
how do i view netflix on the lapdock 500? It says i cant view instantly and need firefox 3 help appreciated also any knowledge on how to run spotify through the browser instead of my phone? thank thank thank you
Run the app from the phone as fullscreen

Ed270

Reaction score
Just as I predicted. Lapdock at fed x dist center. Must wait until 7pm to "feel the love "

rlarson_mn

Reaction score

Both netflix and spotify applications reside on your phone. To do what your asking you open them in the phone view enlarging that view if necessary. Should either of these applications be available from the internet you can go to that web site and use them there from the webtop view window. Example, Google has a web page for Google Docs which you can access from the webtop view window and create or modify a file that will have the ability to be opened by Excel and Word should you wish but will always be available to you in the webtop view. Your phone also has an application called QuickOffice which can do the same thing but on your phone which you can do from the phone view window. I do this all of the time but use DocumentToGo as my office product and DropBox as the web repository for all of my excel, word and pdf work files. Should you use a different web browser on your phone than FireFox you can open that application within the phone view window and use it in place of FireFox that resides in your webtop view window. Think of it this way, you have two computers available on the same screen you just have to choose which one to use under what ever requirements you may have.

mcsoul

Reaction score
I can understand if no one wants to do this.

Here is an experiment I would be interested in. Figure out how long your RAZR runs as a hotspot. Mine uses 1% per minute as a functioning hotspot with foxfi.
Now Hook up your RAZR to the lapdock 500. And close the lapdock screen, in theory you are now running off your RAZR battery backed up by your lapdock battery, but
you are not running the lapdock screen or features, just leeching it's battery. Now how long does hotspot last until you reach 50% battery on your RAZR?

coreymcl

Reaction score
I guess no one else has received a shipping notice since we started getting the OOS emails?

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I can understand if no one wants to do this.

Here is an experiment I would be interested in. Figure out how long your RAZR runs as a hotspot. Mine uses 1% per minute as a functioning hotspot with foxfi.
Now Hook up your RAZR to the lapdock 500. And close the lapdock screen, in theory you are now running off your RAZR battery backed up by your lapdock battery, but
you are not running the lapdock screen or features, just leeching it's battery. Now how long does hotspot last until you reach 50% battery on your RAZR?

Ouch! One percent per minute? My Verizon Wireless Samsung "Jetpack" lasts 4-6 hours on a charge depending on whether it's sucking from 4G/LTE or 3G. Haven't tried the Razr Maxx for this purpose and I'd expect about twice the longevity but clearly using the phone as a hotspot has its limitations.

mikespe

Reaction score
Ouch! One percent per minute? My Verizon Wireless Samsung "Jetpack" lasts 4-6 hours on a charge depending on whether it's sucking from 4G/LTE or 3G. Haven't tried the Razr Maxx for this purpose and I'd expect about twice the longevity but clearly using the phone as a hotspot has its limitations.

Usding your phone as a hotspot uses a TON of battery...1% per minute is about right for my Bionic as well...It was about the same for my OG Droid too. I always try to plug my phone in when using it as a hotspot...I never understood why it drains so fast but it sure does!

Ed270

Reaction score
Well after about 1 hr with new lapdock the touchpad stopped responding . With these units OOS I might as well just get my money back unless they will send me a new one once they are in stock with out me incurring any shipping . Of course I can use with a mouse just hate to start off this way

mcsoul

Reaction score

Yep it drains super fast for me with hotspot on. When I enable smart actions and I'm not using hotspot, I get acceptable battery life though.
When I purchased the RAZR they gave me an HD station and a small motorola external battery pack. When I use the battery pack, the available
life is about 2.5 hours which mirrors the battery usage of my laptop. So everything ends up needing a wall at about the same time anyway.

I was just curious how much the lapdock 500 can extend the usable battery life on the RAZR. It claims 7 hours, but I suspect hotspot would impact
that number substantially.