$150 Lapdock 500

rlarson_mn

Reaction score
While using the browser window I found it helps to let the web site completely load. While on 3G the speed experience of the lapdock 500 pro is slower than when using another device that the phone is tethered to providing network access. I assume that's because your entire resources are provided by the phone where when tethering the device that is utilizing the phone as a hotspot has resources that are also used (such as RAM and CPU). Just be patient and keep remembering you do to have to pay for an additional Verizon $30/month for this device. I am assuming that under a 4g network the speed of the unit would be just fine, I cannot verify that because at this time the network that's available to me is 3G only.

Connected the LapDock 500 Pro up to my wired home network using the RJ-45 connector. Its very fast with almost a desktop experience. I have read that Verizons 4g network is as fast as a wired home network and if that is the case then speed will not be an issue with this system. I am impressed to say the least. No lag no stuttering just instant response. Also tired out my USB mouse and its once again a desk top experience.

Last edited:

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Got mine today and functions as advertised. The Internet is actually very good with my Razr Maxx docked. USB mouse works great as does the rj-45 connector from my cable modem. The docking tray is a bit of a challenge but just did a double fold of the connection tether cable and my phone fit just fine. To utilize my DocumentsToGo phone application with DropBox worked but presented only what the phone would normally view. After expanding the phone view on the 14" units screen and changing the 'file view' size to 50% I could see my spreadsheets, word and PDF documents just fine full screen sized. FireFox browser is fine for viewing the Internet with multiple web tabs open. So far so good for how I intended to usetilize the LapDock 500 Pro. Now I do not have to tether my phone to another device to get Internet access when on the go. I will just plug my phone into the LapDock 500 Pro and connect. Time from connecting the phone until the LapDock 500 Pro is available to use is between 2-3 seconds.

What is this docking tray you speak of??? Mine just has the connection tether. Is there more than one version of the 500??? I know mine says Lapdock 500 for Droid RAZR on the box.

rlarson_mn

Reaction score
The docking tray is under the wire cable you pull away from the back of the unit to connect with your phone. I connect the cable to my phone, pull open the docking tray and sit my phone in an upright face forward position sliding it into the docking tray. About 3/4" of the phone will go into the tray. Perhaps I should use the wording 'holding tray' instead of 'docking tray' since the cable is whats actually the docking portion of the unit.

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
The docking tray is under the wire cable you pull away from the back of the unit to connect with your phone. I connect the cable to my phone, pull open the docking tray and sit my phone in an upright face forward position sliding it into the docking tray. About 3/4" of the phone will go into the tray. Perhaps I should use the wording 'holding tray' instead of 'docking tray' since the cable is whats actually the docking portion of the unit.

Yeah I just found it. Guess I should have explored a bit more.

Tap'd to the Maxx

Ed270

Reaction score
I know you guys ars still breaking in your lapdocks just curious if you have placed calls while docked ? Does the lapdock's speakers and microphone handle the call or is that function still handled by the phone?

rlarson_mn

Reaction score
Ed270;[URL="tel:2035874" said:
2035874[/URL]]I know you guys ars still breaking in your lapdocks just curious if you have placed calls while docked ? Does the lapdock's speakers and microphone handle the call or is that function still handled by the phone?

The speaker and mic in the LapDock 500 Pro handle the call. The speakers are very clear and loud. No issues with that part of the unit. While the phone is docked with the LapDock 500 Pro all of the sound comes from the LapDock 500 Pro. All of the speaker functions also come from the LapDock 500 Pro.

Last edited:

mleber

Reaction score
While using the browser window I found it helps to let the web site completely load. While on 3G the speed experience of the lapdock 500 pro is slower than when using another device that the phone is tethered to providing network access. I assume that's because your entire resources are provided by the phone where when tethering the device that is utilizing the phone as a hotspot has resources that are also used (such as RAM and CPU). Just be patient and keep remembering you do to have to pay for an additional Verizon $30/month for this device. I am assuming that under a 4g network the speed of the unit would be just fine, I cannot verify that because at this time the network that's available to me is 3G only.

Connected the LapDock 500 Pro up to my wired home network using the RJ-45 connector. Its very fast with almost a desktop experience. I have read that Verizons 4g network is as fast as a wired home network and if that is the case then speed will not be an issue with this system. I am impressed to say the least. No lag no stuttering just instant response. Also tired out my USB mouse and its once again a desk top experience.

This statement was the first time I read about the additional charges: Just be patient and keep remembering you do to have to pay for an additional Verizon $30/month for this device.

Are you sure that using this lapdock is considered in need of a wifi hot spot (or did you miss the word "not")? I had not read that anywhere else. And $30/month? I assume you are talking about the plans that start at $20/month? Thanks in advance for clarifying.

rlarson_mn

Reaction score
This statement was the first time I read about the additional charges: Just be patient and keep remembering you do to have to pay for an additional Verizon $30/month for this device.

Are you sure that using this lapdock is considered in need of a wifi hot spot (or did you miss the word "not")? I had not read that anywhere else. And $30/month? I assume you are talking about the plans that start at $20/month? Thanks in advance for clarifying.

You are absolutely correct the LapDock 500 Pro does NOT need a wifi hotspot to access the Internet. It totally uses the data plan that you currently have on the phone that is docked to it. As I remembered the charges for Verizon's hotspot was what I indicated $30/month, but you are also correct that amount after viewing their site is $20/month. My bad.

Ed270

Reaction score
Well, my lapdock is on the fed x truck for delivery. I am sure I will just get a note that delivery was attempted . Guess I will have to drive 30 miles and wait for it to get off the truck :(

mleber

Reaction score
You are absolutely correct the LapDock 500 Pro does NOT need a wifi hotspot to access the Internet. It totally uses the data plan that you currently have on the phone that is docked to it. As I remembered the charges for Verizon's hotspot was what I indicated $30/month, but you are also correct that amount after viewing their site is $20/month. My bad.

Ok, thanks for the clarification. After you posted that you needed a data plan I thought that defeated the entire purpose of getting this thing! Mine is on back order anyway so there's no confirmation I will ever get it! Thanks again for the quick response and your view of this product. Very helpful.:biggrin:

rlarson_mn

Reaction score
Have now tried connecting to external monitor and inserting/reading a SD memory card with success. The F4 key is used to toggle from screen to monitor and back. Under the 'gear' at the upper right corner of the main screen are where the 'display settings' are found. The only setting for available screen resolution. Since the default screen setting is pretty good using the external monitor most likely would be utilized for presentations not viewing for use of the LapDock 500 Pro. Once the SD memory card is inserted you will get a notification by the phone window and by using the 'File Manager' you can see it as a full SD Memory card vs the internal Micro SD card on the phone vs the internal memory of the phone. You must unmount the SD memory card prior to removing it and that feature is in the 'File Manager'. Found that both windows (phone and webtop) can be enlarged over the top of each other. At the bottom right hand phone view screen is the toggle key for the phone view. Once the phone view screen has been enlarged either portrait or landscape clicking on this toggle key will bring the phone view back to its original position and size, a nice feature. You can also have more than a single webtop window open with multiple tabs in each window. Any of the webtop applications can be open at the same time. Example I currently have a single webtop window open with firefox on it, the music application open and playing, the file manager open all the while having my phone view window open. Pretty impressive if I say so. I personally use 'DocumentsToGo' application for excel/word/pdf files on all of my devices which are a Razr Maxx android phone, Dell desktop, Toshiba R705 notebook, a Apple Ipad 2, a original Transformer with keyboard dock station, and now my LapDock 500 Pro. I also use 'DropBox' for web storage of all of my work files. By using these two applications on all of my devices I can access any of my work files from any device no matter which OS the device uses. The LapDock 500 Pro handles this either through the web DropBox site or through the phone view window. When opening up a file I can expand the phone view window to landscape and view or work on my files at any time. Another very cool feature. At this point the only down side I have found to the LapDock 500 Pro centers around the 'slowness of 3G' connection. I anticipate this will not be the case when 4G gets to my location or when ever I am traveling into a 4G area of coverage. The other down side is the track pad. I have found that for general use the track pad is fine. For more complicated functions the USB mouse I connected worked great. Complicated functions would be resizing window views as well as using other webtop applications. All in all I am very pleased with the LapDock 500 Pros function and features. I would utilize the device when traveling since it will assure me of web access on a workable screen size vs just using my phone. At home I would utilize my two tablets more than the LapDock 500 Pro. When doing multiple spreadsheets with multiple tabs that relate to each other my desktop or laptop will be the devices of choice. Lastly if your forced to use 3G with the LapDock 500 Pro be patient would be my advice since it is not a fun experience. Tethering my phone to either of my tablets creates a faster response while using the tablet than the experience with my phone connected to the LapDock 500 Pro but thats just the way it is. Once 4G is in my area that may change. One closing comment would be about the position of your phone when connected to the LapDock 500 Pro. I have a Raze Maxx as I have said before and it sits inside of the tray about 3/4" when mounted. It also sits in a horizontal position with the connection strap on top. I have moved the LapDock 500 Pro around a bit from table to desk to counter top with the phone in this position with no issues. Sitting my phone in the landscape position with the docking cable on the right side was a concern to me and in fact the phone slide out of that position dangling from the dock by the cable a position I do not recommend. If you have any questions I have not covered in this review just ask away and I will try to give you my experience or test what you would like to know.

Last edited:

Ed270

Reaction score
Great review ! I don't have 4g at my house either. But have 5 bars 4 g at work (8 miles away). May try to take to work tomorrow to try 4 g