1.1.1 Sapphire Release and an Anoucement

jakegsxr11

Reaction score
I do not have root explorer, I am using file manager to browse those folders. How would I go about renaming googlesearchbox.apk to GoogleSearchBox.apk?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Can file manager see those folders? Maybe that's the issue.

Anyway, open up a terminal prompt:

su
sysrw
mv /system/data/googlequicksearchbox.apk /system/data/GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk
sysro

See if that works for you.

jakegsxr11

Reaction score
Ok I did that, well almost, I did

su
sysrw
mv /system/app/googlequicksearchbox.apk /system/app/GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk
sysro

I am assuming that is what you meant for me to do.

It still does not work. I really doubt that file manager cannot see the /data/app folder since it sees the /data folder and also sees the /system/app folder and contents. Maybe I'll try and find root explorer and see if that can shed some light on the situation.

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Like I said, if there really is nothing in the /data folder, then something is very very wrong there. The app from the market installs there now, so, something isn't good if there's nothing there. If you made a link in the /system/app folder then it points to nothing. A link by itself that doesn't point to a valid file is itself invalid and can't possibly work. It has to point to a valid apk. (And yes, you can create links to non-existent files quite easily). If the data folder is really empty, then I don't really know where to go from there. That's beyond my experience level.

(And yes, I meant /system/app....not enough sleep last night)

jakegsxr11

Reaction score
I got root explorer and it can see the /data/app folder, com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox-2.apk is there.

I typed in the command to link it to /system/app/GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk but the terminal emulator said "link failed file exists"

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Right, ok, so, delete the /system/app/GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk and try the ln command again. You're almost there. :)

jakegsxr11

Reaction score
dancedroid

Sweet, it works now! Thank you Samuri & psdroid for all of your help. I really learned a lot through this and am very glad we got it sorted out. Thanks again for all your help and patience with me, I appreciate it.
dancedroid

plaidman

Reaction score
dancedroid

Sweet, it works now! Thank you Samuri & psdroid for all of your help. I really learned a lot through this and am very glad we got it sorted out. Thanks again for all your help and patience with me, I appreciate it.
dancedroid

Glad to hear you got it fixed. The deal with File Manager is it doesn't ask for super user permissions. The data folder appears empty because a non-"super" user doesn't have permission to view the contents of that folder. Root Explorer requests super user permissions, so it can see /data. Similarly, the 'su' command in the terminal grants permission to /data, /system, etc so the command will only work after you type su.

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
dancedroid

dancedroid

Absolutely awesome. I'm glad you were able to get this sorted out. Sorry it took so long. Had I thought about it there is a slightly easier way to do this that pdroid pointed out. sigh. :) See, the issue is you need to know the exact filename in the /data/app folder in order to do the link. (the number at the end of the filename). pdroid pointed out you can just replace the number with an * to do a catch all and link it that way. I didn't really think of that until just now but it would have worked. That's ok I guess as you got to learn a little bit more about your phone and how things work so it's not all bad. :) The good part is that it's now working so, do a nandroid backup. :)

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
dancedroid

dancedroid

Glad to hear you got it fixed. The deal with File Manager is it doesn't ask for super user permissions. The data folder appears empty because a non-"super" user doesn't have permission to view the contents of that folder. Root Explorer requests super user permissions, so it can see /data. Similarly, the 'su' command in the terminal grants permission to /data, /system, etc so the command will only work after you type su.

Ah, that's explains the file manager thing. I hadn't used it as I bought root explorer shortly after I rooted the phone. Command line could have gotten a list of files in /data/app, as well I suppose.

jakegsxr11

Reaction score
hmmm, I did read the post from pdroid about using the * but I didn't actually realize that you could use the * in the command, I just thought he was using that as a place holder so that people knew that they might have to use a different number other than 1. Good point on the nandroid back up, I didnt' even think about that.

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Yea, it's "somewhat" dangerous to use a * in an LN command which is why I never thought of doing it, but, in this case you should only have the one file so it should just work fine. If there's multiple files that'll work with the mask, then it could have issues.

As for the backup, yea, always recommended when you do a big change. :)

Bateluer

Reaction score
Flashed Sapphire 1.1.1 two days ago, using the latest 1Ghz LV kernel on the newer official site. At first, I was impressed, but now, I've experienced more spontaneous reboots in the last 48hrs than I have in the past 8 months. Seems to be more frequent when the GPS is turned on. I'll start Nav, turn on GPS, the phone will pause, and then reboot. Other times, I'll have GPS on and never start Nav, only to have the phone reboot when I slide it open to respond to an incoming text or email. Its also rebooted with GPS off, a text/email will arrive, I'll slide open the keyboard, the screen won't turn on and then the phone reboots.

Never had this problem with 1.0, didn't have a chance to flash 1.1, and did a fully data&cache wipe before moving to 1.1.1. Any ideas? Or should I just roll back to 1.0?

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I would recommend trying a different kernel first. As always, make a nandroid backup first, and then try a lower speed kernel to see if the stability improves. Just out of curiosity, did you wipe the cache when you flashed to 1.1.1?

kook

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Just released Cold Fusion for this ROM, check out my sig!