Two Releases Two Days, Froyo Anyone? - Sapphire 0.6.0

JLangevin

Reaction score
Been running it all night. No crashes. Very fast. All features work except the wifi which is already known. I haven't done linpack yet but quadrant score was 1401. Not bad. That'd with Chevy's 7slot 1.25 mv kernel. My Droid would freeze with low.

Will post full feedback on the following areas.

Camera
gallery
Linpack
browser
Standalone wifi tether
Battery life
Heat

And anything else I can think of.

validoption

Reaction score
when restoring my apps, i had quite a few that said install unsuccessful... i jsut re-attempted to install and the install worked.

It will not restore my apps upon first boot after fresh install.

Tried twice.

Doctor

Reaction score
What can you do on this ROM that is different from BB ROM?
I want to try it but all I hear on this thread are complainers and no positive feedback so can someone tell me what sapphire does please? Thanks :)
That's easy! I've run all ALL (literally ALL) leaked Froyo builds since P3Droid's 1st version the day it was released. I have been fortunate enough to have the time to work all of the bugs out, the more I toyed with all of them. There were many, some more than others.
After installing this ROM, and waiting for Market to do it's thing before trying to do anything (very important on any new ROM), I haven't had one problem mentioned in this thread. (I did install WiFi Tether which "fixes" the WiFi appearance problem)
Kudos go out to the Sapphire team for this fine work.
Job Well Done!
:)
Doc

Last edited:

Cleskers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Like some others I have really had no problems. I used Chevys 1.2 LV kernel and my WIFI works fine. You guys really did a great job putting this out. I give you kudos. I will donate what I can.

JLangevin

Reaction score
So far so good on this mornings testing... On my old ROMs I noticed battery life seemed to suffer, so far this morning I have been surfing, talking on the phone, etc and I still at the full indicator.

One thing Im wondering, I have no Flash on the browser... am I missing something?

versusxiii

Reaction score
So far so good on this mornings testing... On my old ROMs I noticed battery life seemed to suffer, so far this morning I have been surfing, talking on the phone, etc and I still at the full indicator.

One thing Im wondering, I have no Flash on the browser... am I missing something?

Have to install flash manually, link in the original post.

I still get no wifi working on this, though I haven't been able to get wifi to work on a single Froyo ROM yet. Was hoping it'd change. Oh well!

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score

Flash is a separate app you need to grab - hunt around here or google I'm sure you'll come across it somewhere

edit: or check the OP lol

jmonte345

Reaction score
when restoring my apps, i had quite a few that said install unsuccessful... i jsut re-attempted to install and the install worked.

It will not restore my apps upon first boot after fresh install.

Tried twice.

It worked for me. Coming from BB v0.2.1. I wiped data and cache and let the phone sit for about 30 mins after signing in. All my apps were reinstalled.

Overall, it seems to be hit or miss for me though. As many times as I've wiped and reinstalled roms, this is only the second time it's automatically installed my apps.

JLangevin

Reaction score

Have to install flash manually, link in the original post.

I still get no wifi working on this, though I haven't been able to get wifi to work on a single Froyo ROM yet. Was hoping it'd change. Oh well!

I installed the WiFi Tether App that came with TeamChaos ROM and WiFi Tethering is working like a dream. I used to get constant drops and it was very annoying. Ive been wifi tethered with my Macbook Pro for a solid 30min with no drops yet. Yesterday at work when I was messing around with the "other" Rom, it would drop every 30 seconds or so.

OP
S

sniffle

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.ccroms.net
Glad to see that now that all of Google's market issues are over everyone is enjoying the rom. Wifi is a known issue... sorry we're trying to find a work around. until then the wifi tether app is your best option.

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
Glad to see that now that all of Google's market issues are over everyone is enjoying the rom. Wifi is a known issue... sorry we're trying to find a work around. until then the wifi tether app is your best option.

Hey sniffle - don't know if it's possible but one big thing (for me) that was missing was Voice. I could always pull it from another Froyo gapps package but it would be nice if it could be included in Sapphire - I'm sure a bunch of us probably use it.

bhughesiii

Reaction score
Tested a feature that has been something I have wanted for a long time, blue tooth voice dialing. Tried it out and worked beautifully!

JLangevin

Reaction score
All I have to say is wow.... This has rekindled my love for Android. With the iPhone4 here, I was REALLY considering eating the costs to leave Verizon and join the iPhone bandwagon (although I DO love my Macbook Pro) - This ROM has me a believer again. I cant thank the Sapphire team enough!

I want to let everyone here know that the problems I had posted about in the past posts were all due to user error. There is nothing wrong with this ROM whatsoever that couldnt be solved without simple wipes and reinstalls. Afterall, the best practice is to install a new ROM on a clean slate anyway. I was attempting to getaway without that, and of course, it lead to issues.

So, as promised, I have used the ROM for the entire morning pushing it in every way I could. Im VERY VERY impressed.

WiFi Tethering through WiFi Tether app is flawless. The older ROMs would constantly drop the signal and caused for some spotty surfing. I have had no such issues on this build

Browser. I know that Google had claimed that the 2.2 Froyo browser is the fastest of all smart phones. Naturally, YouTube is full of iPhone users claiming otherwise, heck, even the Evo4 users were beating Froyo (leaked) on their speed tests. Im here to say that this build can put that claim to truth. The browser is scary fast, damn near Desktop fast. I have not tested Flash yet, but plan to shortly.

Force Closes - all I have to say about this is "Force Wha?" - non existent. I was getting a ton of these, including random reboots with other ROMs. Not the case anymore

Battery life - *evil grin* Im no longer afraid to use my phone for things other than text and email. I had a 30 min call with the wife back in California (in NY on business), sent many emails, tons of texts, and used the WiFi Tethering for an hour. All in all, the display was on for a good 3 hours. I spent much time on the browser testing the new YouTube App, checking out various forums etc. As of this post, my battery indicator is still showing 80%, and just dropped to the 80% icon from 100% about 30min ago. I stayed at 100% for a solid 2.5 hours.

Responsiveness - As to be expected, the default launcher seems a little laggy, and a lot less smooth than Launcher Pro (Beta) I slapped that on and now have iPhone smooth transitions and scrolling. I couldnt ask for more.

Heat - Is it just me or does this ROM run cooler?? Im running Chevy's 1.25ghz medium Kernel and its absolutely perfect with this ROM. I leave the phone at 1ghz, but used 1.25gh for benchmarking

Which brings us to benchmarking - Using the other ROMs nd various Chevy and P3 Kernels, was usually in the low 1300s, and SOMETIMES hit 1400-1410ish... All I can say is this ROM coupled with Chevy's 1250med ROM - BEAST!!!!!!!!

Quadrant score = 1523, thinking it was a fluke I restarted the phone and scored another 1556

4733329484_ed04c2fae9_o.jpg

Sorry for the fuzzy image, my iSight on my Mac has a hard time focusing on small digital text.

So, to the guys at Sapphire, my hat is off to you!!! Cant wait for the next releases!

Also, regarding battery life, you can see the icon in the pic, thats after 3.5 solid hours of usage at the time of this post, no recharging, no USB connection. Battery life is solid.