Competition in the Open-Source World Drives Software Evolution - Sapphire 0.5.2

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Tank knows we're all impressed by him almost every day. Most of the RS wish we knew as much as him at 16.

All teenagers know everything....I have 3 at home and they tell me that all the time....:D

But for 16, Tank's knowledge is impressive.:clap:
Thanks for the nice comments guys! Still not as impressive as the reason we are all on this thread. :p
I think they all crashed......hope they get this up today.....very exciting stuff.
I'm still here J! Does that count?

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Just a thought here....maybe with each new android version a new gem name....2.1=Saphire...2.2=Jade....or some other gem of your choosing. Just a thought :)

Sent from my Droid

Gearhead Geek

Reaction score
Alrighty, first post. Joined up on the site just to post in this thread :)
Just wanted to say I'm very excited about what you are doing. Having tried a bunch of different cut-and-paste roms, I got sick of how bloated and unstable they all are. Tried Cyanogen but it reminded me of Gentoo Linux, great idea but too much fluff.
While I'm still running an OTA 2.1 build (was going to switch to yours but knowing FroYo was going to hit AOSP soon I didn't feel like having to start from scratch twice) w/the usual tweaks all done by hand (HQ YouTube, Ring Delay, Camera Quality + Sounds, etc etc etc), I'm VERY much looking forward to your FroYo release.

Ok, all that out of the way, I do have 2 questions:
1) On your page for the FroYo build (I won't go posting the link to it since I'm sure people would start flooding it, lol. Pretty simple to figure out though), you list it as an FRF57 build. I thought the final build was FRF83 according to the new OTA that's hitting Nexus One's?
2) This is probably a dumb question that I already know the answer to, but basebands aren't something that's out there with the source correct? Those have to come directly from the manufacturer in an OTA? I simply ask because I know the latest one that was leaked for the Droid is definitely not official, and there's no way I'm going to update until the official one is out, just wasn't sure if I'd be waiting on Motorola for that.

Also, just a neat observation about the C_01.3E.03P baseband. When I got sick of cut and paste roms (aka BB) and the direction they're heading (seriously, Koush is a great guy, but RomManager was the worst idea ever. Giving kiddies easy access to root without them knowing how it actually works = uhg), I RSDLite'd (yes, it's a verb, lol), back to 2.0.1, and OTA'd from there, then did the RSDLite root for 2.1. I noticed after doing all this my signal strength SUCKED, and I would CONSTANTLY drop 3G. So I did a little digging, and found the old baseband update I had posted on AllDroid (tehst3ve's update.zip that I updated with the official radio files), and flashed that. Low and behold, the radio improved 10 fold. Now I know there were a few different versions of the ESE81 update pushed out OTA, so I'm wondering if the baseband had an undocumented change w/no version number change in the latest one.
Again, just an interesting observation for any of you having signal issues w/the latest (official) baseband.

Phew, that was a wall of text. Now I'll go back to waiting patiently for your FroYo build :)

les017

Reaction score
Gearhead - just real quick answer here...

1) Welcome to the forums
2) FRF57 is/was the latest leak that we've had. Now source code is out and I am sure it is a new build number.
3) The last 2 baseband's that came out coincident with Froyo leak are C_01.41.00R and C_01.43.00R...both gave me improvement over the older BB's.
4) I hope I am right on #2 and #3

obededom

Reaction score
So I did a little digging, and found the old baseband update I had posted on AllDroid (tehst3ve's update.zip that I updated with the official radio files), and flashed that. Low and behold, the radio improved 10 fold. Now I know there were a few different versions of the ESE81 update pushed out OTA, so I'm wondering if the baseband had an undocumented change w/no version number change in the latest one.
Again, just an interesting observation for any of you having signal issues w/the latest (official) baseband.

Phew, that was a wall of text. Now I'll go back to waiting patiently for your FroYo build :)

you got a link to that baseband, gearhead?

btw, it always gave me the strongest signal...good job.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score

I'll second willing to roll back baseband. I went back to .03P at one point but it didn't seem to do much. I'd love to be able to go back to original baseband just to see what the score is, but seems like even flashing 2.01 sbf doesn't revert baseband (unless I just wasn't paying much attention).

T

tsitalon1

I installed this and tried it, but kinda was dissapointed when it didn't reinstall all my apps from the market on it's own.

All the other ROMS I've tried did this..

Gearhead Geek

Reaction score
Gearhead - just real quick answer here...

1) Welcome to the forums
2) FRF57 is/was the latest leak that we've had. Now source code is out and I am sure it is a new build number.
3) The last 2 baseband's that came out coincident with Froyo leak are C_01.41.00R and C_01.43.00R...both gave me improvement over the older BB's.
4) I hope I am right on #2 and #3

1) Thank you
2) Ya I figured the page was thrown up last night before the official build number was known, but just figured I'd ask
3) I'm just weary of leaked, non-official basebands. While RSDLite is always an option if something goes wrong, it's a pain.

Tried uploading it to the forums but it's giving me an error. What's the maximum attachment size on this forum?

I installed this and tried it, but kinda was dissapointed when it didn't reinstall all my apps from the market on it's own.

Your phone must have super powers, because I've yet to see a rom that does this. The Market is a closed source app as far as I know, and there's no functionality in it to do this. You have to do it by hand, or use an app to assist you (AppBrain Market Sync ftw).

T

tsitalon1

Your phone must have super powers, because I've yet to see a rom that does this. The Market is a closed source app as far as I know, and there's no functionality in it to do this. You have to do it by hand, or use an app to assist you (AppBrain Market Sync ftw).

Wrong, it is based on your google preferences I believe. This happens often, but did not with this rom, I am not sure why.

Gearhead Geek

Reaction score

Wrong, it is based on your google preferences I believe. This happens often, but did not with this rom, I am not sure why.

Let me back up a sec. Are you talking about FroYo roms? Because this functionality WAS introduced in FroYo. Prior to that it was not possible.

jdausesj

Reaction score

The problem is most likely that you went into the market app to early...
Try reflashing the ROM and let your phone sit right after you enter your info for gmail to sync...Do NOT touch the market yet. You can check your app drawer and most likely see that after 5 to 10 minutes after syncing gmail for the first time, your apps will be repopulating slowly aka getting reinstalled by google sync :) ... i hope this works for you....works like a charm for me everytime on any and every ROM....

EDIT: Dont forget to wipe everything clean 3 times before reinstalling ROM... clean installs are the best route ALWAYS...

T

tsitalon1

Let me back up a sec. Are you talking about FroYo roms? Because this functionality WAS introduced in FroYo. Prior to that it was not possible.

Deff worked in BB 0.2.1 (froyo) but also worked in BB 1.1 (2.1 based) as well as other 2.1 ROMS. I think it's a google configuration option. Normally after ROM change you wait about 5 mins and all your apps reinstall and you get a notice stating that XXX number of apps have been restored..

At any rate it did not work on this ROM. Anyone know why?

Mike84

Reaction score
I want to try this but rom manager errors with:

Code:
Welcome to Sapphire-0.5.2-Droid!script aborted: assert failed: !less_than_int(1277228366, getprop("ro.build.date.utc"))

assert failed: !less_than_int(1277228366, getprop("ro.build.date.utc"))
E:Error in /sdcard/download/sapphire-0.5.2-update.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.
Failure at line 5:
install_zip SDCARD:/download/sapphire-0.5.2-update.zip

I was getting the same error, its actually a bug with the latest clockwork mod recovery, downgrading to an older version of clockwork recovery fixed it for me.