The Truth About Froyo and Overclocking

OP
J

jacob80

Reaction score
You don't need to revert your Droid back to any old versions..also wiping data or factory reset will not wipe the update.zip FRG build you placed on your device. You can't receive any older OTA than 2.1 and you can't go back as there isn't really any update.zip to revert back to so lets look into what to do now....

I personally got tired of waiting for the OTA froyo build to hit my device and decided to manual update, boy was that not worth it. So since I couldn't really go back, I decided to try some new roms that recently hit for those of us using 2.2.......

The first step I took was going to Unstable Apps - Mobile apps for a mobile world and getting the 1 click root app, really easy, costs 99 cents and worked great. After following the easy intructions page, I literally clicked a button, rebooted and I was rooted.

Then I went to the market and downloaded ROM Manager. It was free, gave me instructions to follow to create a recovery point (if anything goes sour) and I used the download section in the app to download the Sapphire 1.0 rom. (it is listed as CV something but once you click it offers several Sapphire roms)

While still on 3g (didn't even need to change to wifi-but you might want to if you're expecting a call or text as it will disrupt file downlod on 3g and corrupt process) I downloaded the rom and chose a kernal, the droid x theme and I was in business. It installed automatically, rebooted and whamo! I had an 800 mhz DROID with all the goodies of droidx and a less buggy build of froyo. I recently got voice search and droid 2 live wallpaper and now my DROID is a lightning DROID2. The Sapphire rom is fast and stable, bugless beast, cyanogen let me down big time (endless boot loading)

When you download the rom it is gonna ask you about some items with boxes you can check to green CHECK ALL THE BOXES!!!! The rom download is gonna ask you which kernal you want looks something like 700-1500 PICK THE FIRST SELECTION (its 800mhz stable) and its going to ask you if you want to create a recovery and wipe all data CHECK THE BOXES you want to wipe to be sure everything runs smooth, its okay, when you reboot type in the same gmail account you use now and all of your contacts apps photos etc will be sync'd to your device again and will not be lost!

I know there is a lot of uncertainty with rooting but you must understand what it is so here's a rough analogy....rooting your device and placing a custom rom is like taking your laptop and not erasing windows 7 from it, but instead downloading and installing another OS onyour laptop so you can choose to use windows 7 at start up or use your new os instead, nothing is erased nothing is lost and a simple reboot in recovery mode and you can instantly go back and forth between the 2.

Funny story, I just did this and I am now rooted and installed the WiFi hotspot, which is the main thing I wanted.

It looks like I can only overclock up to 800mhz, but that is PLENTY fast for me.

This is EXACTLY how I wanted my Droid, nothing more nothing less. I like my phone 100% better, and it's only been about 10 minutes since I've rooted :)

Is there any reason to load a complete ROM, or is it mainly just for appearance? I'm looking for battery longevity, so is there anything else I can do to increase this? I set my "min" in SetCPU to 125mhz, but other than that, what else?

Thanks guys! LOVE my Droid now! :icon_ banana:dancedroid

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
[
Funny story, I just did this and I am now rooted and installed the WiFi hotspot, which is the main thing I wanted.

It looks like I can only overclock up to 800mhz, but that is PLENTY fast for me.

This is EXACTLY how I wanted my Droid, nothing more nothing less. I like my phone 100% better, and it's only been about 10 minutes since I've rooted :)

Is there any reason to load a complete ROM, or is it mainly just for appearance? I'm looking for battery longevity, so is there anything else I can do to increase this? I set my "min" in SetCPU to 125mhz, but other than that, what else?

I don't run a custom ROM, I have my own personal opinions about those but I keep them to myself because they are all negative and I'm probably wrong. :D

What I would suggest you do is go here: P3Droid Kernels
and get yourself a kernel so you can overclock faster. I use the 250/1100 kernel and I OC to 1 GHZ.

Skull One

Reaction score

You might want to thread this thread next to understand what SetCPU can do for you - http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-faqs/47871-overclocking-101-a.html

eliassami5

Reaction score
[

I don't run a custom ROM, I have my own personal opinions about those but I keep them to myself because they are all negative and I'm probably wrong. :D

What I would suggest you do is go here: P3Droid Kernels
and get yourself a kernel so you can overclock faster. I use the 250/1100 kernel and I OC to 1 GHZ.

Make sure you start out with the low voltage kernels first. If your phone wont boot or you are experiencing force closes often then jump up to the higher voltage kernels.

Skull One

Reaction score
Make sure you start out with the low voltage kernels first. If your phone wont boot or you are experiencing force closes often then jump up to the higher voltage kernels.

You know the logic there is a tad bit flawed. It would be wiser to start with a Standard Voltage kernel first to make sure the phone will even support a frequency above 800 Mhz. Once you are sure, then try a lower voltage.

Also be aware, you can generate more heat using a Low Voltage kernel vs a Standard Voltage kernel on some phones. The reason for this is the ECC built into the phones that constantly try to correct bad memory writes. While the Low Voltage kernel seems to work, the CPU is constantly correcting issues and shows up as sluggish behavior and higher temps on the CPU and Battery.

nateccnn

Reaction score
I'd also add +1...that starting with a standard voltage is a great idea. I always bought into the low voltage hype. But I was always watching my temps too. Now that I am running the stock kernel that came with FRG01B my temps never get high...battery life is great...no force closes since I installed it. I assume the stock kernel is standard voltage. And I do have it over clocked to 800.

Less heat, more stability and better battery...everything you look for in a low voltage kernel. LOL

Nate

Indee

Reaction score
I think the kernal that comes with Sapphire 1.0 is fine to use. I am at 800mhz high and 125 mhz low...no heating issues. You are actually running the full rom not part of it so the option you were talking about doesn't apply.

I got the black bar as part of the droid x theme and changed the font (under GEM Settings) to red and it's perfect.

***Try going into the GEM settings under the standard settings menu selection to further change performance and visuals. Happy to hear the suggestion worked for you.:motdroidhoriz:

Indee

Reaction score
You don't need to revert your Droid back to any old versions..also wiping data or

Sorry I missed this part of what you said......yes you should load the complete Sapphire Rom, opens lots of possibilities and is a better build of FROYO then the buggy 2.2 update.zip, I had lots of force closing and problems with the update.ip build that are non-existent in the Sapphire build. My Voice search works and chrome to phone works unlike the update.zip which seems like it's about as good as a official update as a banana peel is as a hat.:icon_ banana:

C

cdexsw

Overclocking your phone can be dangerous and is guaranteed to increase the likelyhood that it will become unstable. If you are experiencing random hard-reboots or force-closes, consider trying a kernel either with a higher voltage, or a lower clock speed

I believe the stock kernel that comes with Sapphire v.1.0.0 is the 7×125-1000LV. But I could be wrong.

He wrote this on his download site
releases:sapphire-1.0.0 [CVPCS Sapphire Wiki]

"I personally recommend kernel 7×125-1000LV that is included, as it provides good speed with good stability, and longer battery life."

eliassami5

Reaction score
I'd also add +1...that starting with a standard voltage is a great idea. I always bought into the low voltage hype. But I was always watching my temps too. Now that I am running the stock kernel that came with FRG01B my temps never get high...battery life is great...no force closes since I installed it. I assume the stock kernel is standard voltage. And I do have it over clocked to 800.

Less heat, more stability and better battery...everything you look for in a low voltage kernel. LOL

Nate

heres a good thread for you to read

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-general-discussions/66909-truth-about-kernels.html