Overclocking on rooted D1 with stock Froyo (FRG01B)

artmcg

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Im new to the whole rooting game, so forgive my ignorance....

I rooted my Droid 1 using the EasyRoot app. The phone has the latest OTA Froyo build (FRG01B).

Im really just looking to boost the speed some with overclocking, and maybe install a few root only apps. Dont really want to mess with kernals and custom ROMs if I dont have to.

Ive read online that with this latest official Froyo build, you can overclock just by rooting and using SetCPU, no custom kernals or anything else required (I read that here---SetCPU and Android 2.2 for DROID Allows for Simple Overclocking | Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog).

Is this true?? Is there any reason not to go that route instead of messing with custom kernals and ROMs? Any extra risks involved?

Thanks alot for your help and expertise!!!

-A

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I believe that is correct. SETcpu is a paid app ($2 or $3 I think) Download and install. make sure that you tap the device selection and tap autodect. If not, you won't be able to change speed.

If you need to download a kernel it is a simple process with SPR via the update.zip file process.

Hope this is helpful. Let us know what you decide.

OP
A

artmcg

Reaction score
I believe that is correct. SETcpu is a paid app ($2 or $3 I think) Download and install. make sure that you tap the device selection and tap autodect. If not, you won't be able to change speed.

If you need to download a kernel it is a simple process with SPR via the update.zip file process.

Hope this is helpful. Let us know what you decide.

Easy enough.....thanks so much.

One other question---Do I need to worry at all about adjusting any of the settings in SetCPU or installing any other apps in order to avoid overheating/battery drain/etc.?

Thanks again. Its really great of you guys to help people out here like you do!!

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
SetCPU has a feature that allows you to set profiles. For example, you can set your cpu speed high when you battery is fully charged. Or if you cpu temp begins to rise you can add one or more profiles to adjust the speed thus lowering the temp and reducing the drain on the battery.

Here is an old link SetCPU for Root Users to the developers web site. I'm not sure if he has a newer I had an old bookmark. Here is a link http://www.droidforums.net/forum/rescue-squad-guides/47871-overclocking-101-a.html an excellent site on overclocking.

Hope they are helpful.

Mike