Switching data over to new Droid?

Habs Forever

Reaction score
Hello...I just got a new Moto Droid sent to me from Verizon after my old one fell victim to a really aggravating virus, although it still is able to function somewhat well. How can I get my contacts over to the new one?

What about the apps I paid for? Will I have to pay for them all again?

Any other words of advice?

Thank you very much.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hello...I just got a new Moto Droid sent to me from Verizon after my old one fell victim to a really aggravating virus, although it still is able to function somewhat well. How can I get my contacts over to the new one?

What about the apps I paid for? Will I have to pay for them all again?

Any other words of advice?

Thank you very much.

First, I highly doubt you have a virus. That would have to be verified, please don't make claims like that, it only causes panic.

All your contacts are saved in your Gmail. Remember, this is a google phone and it's all tied together. Gmail, Google, Contacts, Calendar...etc.

So when you sign in to your new phone all your contacts should automatically transfer over once you sync your gmail account.

dodgersrgood

Reaction score
your contacts are linked to your google account so when you sign in they should all sync up. but with your apps i dont know how that works going to a completely different phone. probably just have to re-download them all

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
All your info is tied to your google account. Sign in on the new phone with your gmail account and your contacts will sync to the phone and your apps should show in the Market under downloads for you to re-download. Paid apps are already paid for (again..info tied to your google account) so you will not have to pay for them again.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
If it was a Virus, You should keep that Droid since it would be the First of it's kind...

But Hook has covered everything else for ya there.

OP
H

Habs Forever

Reaction score
I figured as much. I'm very computer savvy, not so much for phones, but when the guy at the Verizon Store (the Route 17 location in Paramus, NJ for those local) said I simply had a virus, I kind of got the feeling he was saying this out of sheer confusion, as I had never heard of anything like this.

I'm charging the newest one now. I plan on trying to switch everything a little later.

Should I switch the memory cards out?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I figured as much. I'm very computer savvy, not so much for phones, but when the guy at the Verizon Store (the Route 17 location in Paramus, NJ for those local) said I simply had a virus, I kind of got the feeling he was saying this out of sheer confusion, as I had never heard of anything like this.

I'm charging the newest one now. I plan on trying to switch everything a little later.

Should I switch the memory cards out?

I can't tell you how angry that makes me. Not at you but the rep.

Can you guys imagine this, Verizon reps telling people they have viruses!

OP
H

Habs Forever

Reaction score
Same for me as well. I kind of got the feeling he didn't really know what he was saying. Usually a decent Verizon store, too...

Can you root a completely updated Droid now? I remember previously when I wanted to root it, I had updated it already to a version unable to root.