general data transfer question from a noob!

neillobo1986

Reaction score
hello all, I just got my 2nd smart phone ever and obviously I want to transfer over as much data as I possibly can. I plan to do it myself and I know there are many routes I can take. but my issue is that I just switched to a new carrier and I ported over the same number, so obviously both phones cannot be active at the same time. so idk whether to keep my old phone active while I do the transfers or activate my new phone. or perhaps just transfer my contacts, txt messages, call logs while my old phone is still active. not sure if any of it matters. guess I'm just not sure as to what the limitations of an inactive phone are. my guess is that its just like a tablet, no calls, txts, or mobile data but still able to dl apps and such.

some other general questions while on the subjects: 1. any suggestions for easy data transfer (not important on this thread, I'm sure there are many other threads where you talk about this if youd like to direct me there)? 2. I do have my contacts, messages, call logs, pictures, and videos synced with google+ and its various subapps. will they automatically sync with my new phones' contacts, messaging, call log, and gallery apps? 3. can app data itself be transfered over without a rooted phone and if so how?

much thanks and praise to the all holy droid.

OP
N

neillobo1986

Reaction score
btw, I use an app called contacts+ which come to think of it, I don't believe its affiliated with google. but idk if it would do the same.