Trying to transfer my old phone number to a used phone

godlyoverlord

Reaction score
I recently bought myself a used droid razr phone off of ebay and I am having trouble transferring my old phone number to it from my droid x.

I tried activating it from the verizon wireless website under myverizon, but it asked for either an ESN or MEID number and when I looked for those numbers, all I found was an IMEI number in the area where they said the numbers would be.

I looked online to find a different way to transfer the number to the new phone and found a bunch of people saying to dial *228 on the new phone and then listen to an automated message and follow the steps and enter the old number. So I dialed *228 on the new phone and instead of hearing an automated message, a notification popped up on the phone saying that it had been activated even though I had not entered my old phone number. I looked under the phone's information to find the number it was using and saw the previous owners phone number.

I tried to look up why this happened and the best answer I could find was that sim cards can not be reset with a new number and that I would need a completely new sim card to transfer my phone number (I don't actually know if the sim card I got with the phone had been used before). So I ordered a brand new verizon 4G LTE sim card online and when it arrived I put it in the new phone and dialed *228 and got the same notification as before instead of hearing an automated message and the phone was again activated with the previous owner's phone number.

Does anybody know what I did wrong or can anybody tell me how to transfer my old phone number to my new phone? Also, will I need another new sim card since I seem to have accidentally activated this one with the wrong phone number?

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
It seems like a lot of people have issues when trying to activate devices online only if the prior owner didn't contact VZ and have it taken off of their account.

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
You did not do anything wrong. The previous owner did not remove it from his account. And SIM cards don't need *228, they automatically activate. You need to contact the previous owner to make sure that either the phone has been replaced (and activated) with a new phone, or the line has been cancelled. At least that is my thought.

OP
G

godlyoverlord

Reaction score
You did not do anything wrong. The previous owner did not remove it from his account. And SIM cards don't need *228, they automatically activate. You need to contact the previous owner to make sure that either the phone has been replaced (and activated) with a new phone, or the line has been cancelled. At least that is my thought.

Thanks. I'll contact the previous owner and see if that works. Would I still need another new sim card, though?

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I'll contact the previous owner and see if that works. Would I still need another new sim card, though?

If the previous owner had the phone active on their line, then yes, you will need a new sim card. Unfortunately, these cards can only be used once